Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Netbooks etc for tethering with MFDB  (Read 15371 times)

ThierryH

Netbooks etc for tethering with MFDB
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 07:32:49 pm »

It was one of the 7 working prototypes.

Contrast and brightness can be adjusted.

It is shipping since December 2008.

Thierry

Quote from: gwhitf
I saw a preproduction back in NYC, at Photo East. I was not impressed with the LCD at all. It seemed very contrasty and harsh.

But hey, Javits is not the prettiest light in the universe, either. And who knows if they refined it, once the production models started shipping. It is shipping, right?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 09:15:17 am »

Quote from: narikin
can you explain what this means Doug?

I have C1 on my main workstation, and high end (big) laptop, but also am thinking of putting it on a Netbook for checking stitch, focus, etc on light locations. Afaik, I had to put in a licence code for this 3rd installation, but... do you mean to say I can download a trial copy of C1 4.x and not register it if I work tethered, or what?

As mentioned above you just select "Run in Digital Back Only Mode" when the program asks you to register/activate. You can see dSLR files, but you can only tether to, and make changes to raw files from, Phase One digital backs.

Quote from: bcooter
Doug, your right, I should have mentioned the DB only is free, though small computer . . . large computer few photographers are going to go out and shoot without some backup and usually the medium format backup is a Canon.  

At that stage if you ever do need to tether or just view our canon/nikon files in v4,  to the netbook, or any other new computer, a new license or activation is required.

Since I have multiple computers, early on I tried just loading the DB version (this was in version 3 days) and it just gets too confusing so I bought an extra license.

True enough. Though if the point is just to download/check images in the field and not really "work them up" then you can use Canon/Nikon's native software (free for their users).

I agree that things were pretty confusing in this regard for Capture One "DB". Now there are no licenses/codes/activation/registration, you just say "Run in Digital Back Only mode" when it asks you to activate.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

narikin

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 09:49:57 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
What is wrong with the Mac book pro?
Do you just want a larger LCD without a full sized laptop?
I think that if you are used to a Mac book pro, you would hate anything else.

For phocus 1.2, with 50 Mpx files (and good fast performance with anything else) you need
twice the processing speed,
twice the number of cores (for laptop mobile use)
four times the ram
four time as much hard disk,
ideally... all networked to an 8 core, terabyte, multi-raid machine

whole different ball-game. until you have picked up a netbook and realize how incredibly small, light and useful they are you don't get it.
once you do, its an eye opener. my large pro laptop now looks like a1980's cellphone ! I barely use it

Ray R

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »

My netbook arrived Friday and a new laptop today. I have also purchased an express34 card for the netbook.
I have connected my P45 to the netbook and it does not detect it - appears that the express card is not loading properly. Tried it on both the laptop and my desktop as well (3computers in total).

None of them recognise the back with C1.

Reading the manual for C1 it appears that the tethered option is only available in the Pro version - Is this correct? or will it work in DB mode?

I have tried it on the 30 day trial version and it still does not work.

On the desktop the back appears to change the power supply from battery to firewire.

Thankyou for any replies.

Ray

Doug Peterson

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »

Quote from: Ray R
My netbook arrived Friday and a new laptop today. I have also purchased an express34 card for the netbook.
I have connected my P45 to the netbook and it does not detect it - appears that the express card is not loading properly. Tried it on both the laptop and my desktop as well (3computers in total).

None of them recognise the back with C1.

Reading the manual for C1 it appears that the tethered option is only available in the Pro version - Is this correct? or will it work in DB mode?

I have tried it on the 30 day trial version and it still does not work.

On the desktop the back appears to change the power supply from battery to firewire.

C1 does no tethering
C1 "Digital Back Only Mode" will do tethering for Digital Backs only
C1 Pro will do tethering for both Digital Backs and Canon/Nikon

Set [Menu > Configuration > Power Source > Battery] to make sure the back understands it will only have power from the on-board battery.

If the back connects to other computers but not to the laptop I suspect you are right that the ExpressCard Firewire Adapter is defective or the driver for that adapter are not installed properly. Do you have any other firewire devices (e.g. a FW hard drive) to confirm this?

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 06:27:40 am »

Quote from: michaelnotar
i am considering a netbook or ultra compact PC for tethering with my P25. this would be in addition to a mac book pro. a few questions...

is the computer that michael wrote an article about the only one that looks like a good canidate...?

it seems the more cells the batteries have the longer they last...are batteries usually hot swapable or do i need to restart the computer inbetween changes?

exactly how fast are these things? with 1.6ghtz processors, 1-2GB ram, i would expect they are about as fast maybe a lil slower than my G4 powerbook 1.5ghtz PPC/1.5GB ram/OS 10.5.7/ capture 1 4.8.

how viabable is a USB to femail FW 400 female for these things...sure the one michael wrote about has an express slot i think it is to add a card with a FW connection. is that the only computer with it? i would like to see it and buy it in the US. i tried kabatek, placed an order and am waiting on paypal.... i never entered any payment info...whats that about...?

how much HD space should i get? i assume i could buy any Sata/esata HD and install it, what ever it takes. i have an 80GB HD and i dont use it now, but understand i need extra space for OS/software virtual memory use.

I use my Thinkpad X61 for tethering (p30+) and it works flawless. Both on battery and with ac plugged in. Very small and light laptop.

My has a 2,2 dualcore 3gb of ram and a 250gb hdd, 12 inch screen. Built in fw400 port. And it is about 2,3lbs
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:31:35 am by Jozef Zajaz »

narikin

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:20 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Set [Menu > Configuration > Power Source > Battery] to make sure the back understands it will only have power from the on-board battery.

If the back connects to other computers but not to the laptop I suspect you are right that the ExpressCard Firewire Adapter is defective or the driver for that adapter are not installed properly. Do you have any other firewire devices (e.g. a FW hard drive) to confirm this?

Doug Peterson
are you sure the drivers have been loaded for the back?

Ray R

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have had call from where I bought the back and they suggested it was a Windows XP problem.

I downloaded the necessary file from Phaseone and the back was detected and the drivers installed. The back is up and running in my desktop.

As I say the expresscard that I bought for the netbook was not installing properly, and I was having problems with the laptop anyway, and the technician at PCWorld tried to update the BIOS, and it would not load. He seemed to think it may have had a problem with the motherboard.

I had returned both items before I received the information.

Thanks again

Ray R
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:10:28 pm by Ray R »

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 01:54:35 pm »

I once had problems with a cheap HAMA PCMCIA card on my small 12" noname laptop, that never work, bought a Belkin then, and never had a problem again.

Tom-

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 02:12:56 pm »

if you have problems with your expresscard sometimes it's the chipset of the expresscard. I had issues with a firewire800 expresscard and bought a different brand and it worked fine after that.

narikin

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:58 pm »

just saw these from Archos - take a look at the 2nd photo down.

http://www.archoslounge.net/Premier-compte...rence,8906.html

more info here:

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/06/archos-l...s-7-tablet-umpc

looks perfect - BUT no firewire/card slot on this, but its the tablet netbook revolution coming.

I'd bet Apple's netbook will very close to how this looks, if ever they release it.

Ray R

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »

I have ordered another express34 to firewire card, and having managed to get the back to work on the desktop, I am ready to try on the netbook when it arrives.
Wishful thinking, but hopefully tomorrow. So I will let you know how it goes.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 10:47:22 pm »

I have ordered another express34 to firewire card, and having managed to get the back to work on the desktop, I am ready to try on the netbook when it arrives.
Wishful thinking, but hopefully tomorrow. So I will let you know how it goes.

just for your reference, the firewire 800 expresscard that works on mine is the Siig brand one, you can get it off the B&H website. haven't had any problems with it so far.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 10:55:47 am »

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Notebo...oductName=T1028

At a PC show today I came across this product which I felt is extremely interesting, it works as a swivel screen so it works like a tablet instead of a laptop which is easier for viewing images with one hand.
and there's an express card slot.
it'll be great if there's the possibility of installing OS X on it.

Ray R

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »

My card arrived this morning - and I've spent the rest of the day trying to get Windows to load it, and I am still trying, but about to give up.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:09 pm »

By reading this thread, I conclude the best option BY FAR for dback users is a MBP. There's a new 13" model. I can't afford a dback yet. Currently I'm using a Canon FF and planning on buying a Viliv X70. Too bad is only usb. I think it's time for dback manufacturers to add usb tethering. Maybe they waiting for usb 3.0, who knows?
Ed

My card arrived this morning - and I've spent the rest of the day trying to get Windows to load it, and I am still trying, but about to give up.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 06:43:07 pm »

I spent some time looking in to the netbooks and found them appealing in price and form factor .. all until you have to face the idea of dealing with the OS that has 50,000.000 lines of code and slows the machine down. My wife is no Mac addict -like me-, she runs a large agency office here with IT officer and all. When we moved here they took her Blackberry and gave her a smart phone with Windows OS. Every night she would complain about the phone not being able to do the must basic functions that she took for granted with her other system until one day I said: "look, you are the boss of the IT guy, give him a direct order to give you the Blackberry back" she did it and there was no more phone problems... this is the thing. The software is as important as the form factor.

Apple is bringing back the 13 inch PRO level portable and I will get one as soon as I am in NY -next month-. This may be the perfect portable solution.. with FireWire ... for shooting a digital back on the field. It has 7 hours battery life, a better display. And more importantly, a good, problems free OS. Apparently Snow Leopard has an even smaller foot print than the old Leopard and runs faster.

Quote from: narikin
just saw these from Archos - take a look at the 2nd photo down.

http://www.archoslounge.net/Premier-compte...rence,8906.html

more info here:

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/06/archos-l...s-7-tablet-umpc

looks perfect - BUT no firewire/card slot on this, but its the tablet netbook revolution coming.

I'd bet Apple's netbook will very close to how this looks, if ever they release it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:43:48 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

narikin

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 09:08:30 am »

Quote from: uaiomex
By reading this thread, I conclude the best option BY FAR for dback users is a MBP. There's a new 13" model. I can't afford a dback yet.
Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
Apple is bringing back the 13 inch PRO level portable and I will get one as soon as I am in NY -next month-. This may be the perfect portable solution.. with FireWire ... for shooting a digital back on the field.
- there is a world of difference between a MBP type laptop, (Mac or PC) and a Netbook.
if there wasn't netbooks wouldn't have become the red-hot market phenomenon it has. I was a skeptic till I used one, now cant be bothered 80% of the time with the other uber-power machines I have sitting here, and at $300-$400 all in, whats not to like?
2nd generation on the way with SSD drives, newer processors, touch screens, and long battery lifes (12 hours?).

ps - if you really want it with OSX, it can be installed in a netbook ('Hackintosh') with excellent results - as many sites make clear.

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »

I am  getting close to buying a netbook. The only remaining decision is - which one?  A newer version for better performance, or an older one on sale to save a few dollars? (about $225 on clearance for some), etc.

I understand that Windows 7 will be officially announced on June 26th.  If you buy a regular desktop or laptop after that date, you will receive a coupon for a free upgrade of OS when it comes out in September. I don't know if that will apply to the netbooks?  That is probably the only thing that has me still on the fence timing-wise.

I wouldn't worry too much about Win XP OS vs. Leopard, etc.  We have 2 Mac laptops, 2 Windows XP laptops, and 3 Windows XP desktops. There **really** is not much difference at all when using the different machines.  

I have been using Mac's and PC's since 1990 and I have no preference for one over the other. They both work fine - kind of a Canon v. Nikon thing in my mind.  They are both good tools - just use them.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 04:26:11 pm »

Quote from: mmurph
I am  getting close to buying a netbook. The only remaining decision is - which one?  A newer version for better performance, or an older one on sale to save a few dollars? (about $225 on clearance for some), etc.

This is NOT an insult to any company. However, I think for your mental health you should rephrase your internal dialogue.

The question is whether to spend the money to get a better netbook with "less crappy performance".

All netbooks are very slow compared to any decent full sized computer (as one would expect since they are so compact and so inexpensive).

In that regard, if you can afford it, a netbook with more ram (one of the biggest constraints usually) or a faster processor may well be worth it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up