Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fledgling Red-Winged Blackbird  (Read 2945 times)

dalethorn

Fledgling Red-Winged Blackbird
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:07:00 pm »

I stumbled across this bird and its sibling in some high grass, with the mother close by making a chatter. Fortunately both were able to fly away to a nearby bush.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:55:23 am »

Delightful, but only their mother could love them at that age!
Pete Truman

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:57:34 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
I stumbled across this bird and its sibling in some high grass, with the mother close by making a chatter. Fortunately both were able to fly away to a nearby bush.
Nice shot!  How close were you? What focal length?  Red-Winged Blackbird mothers can be fierce.  I saw one at the edge of Turtle Pond in Central Park repeatedly dive-bombing a Great White Egret that had been fishing near the RWB's nest.  The RWB was screaming its distress call and coming at the egret feet first.  The egret seemed to be about 400 times bigger than the RWB.

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:28:40 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
Nice shot!  How close were you? What focal length?  Red-Winged Blackbird mothers can be fierce.  I saw one at the edge of Turtle Pond in Central Park repeatedly dive-bombing a Great White Egret that had been fishing near the RWB's nest.  The RWB was screaming its distress call and coming at the egret feet first.  The egret seemed to be about 400 times bigger than the RWB.

I should have gone back and edited that, eh?  I literally scared them off the ground next to my feet, then this one flew to a bush about 25 feet away. I was using the Pana G1 at max. zoom, effectively 400 mm.  A ranger in that very park asked me whether the parent attacked, and I said no, it just stayed on a bush farther away, about 60 feet distant.  I don't know for sure, but I would guess that since I've been photographing those Red-wings twice a week for several weeks now, perhaps the parent didn't see me as a threat.  I had those experiences in Bolsa Chica on the West coast, since in a few cases I was able to get within 8 feet of perching hummingbirds, and 15 feet of a perching kestrel.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:50:08 pm »

Dale, I normally don't comment on bird pictures because any Audubon book has bird pictures made by people who have to be really good at photographing birds in order to sell their work. But here's an idea: You shoot a lot of bird pictures. Some of them are technically quite competent. Audubon magazine is running a Photography Awards contest at the moment with a deadline of July 15. You can get all the details at www.audubonmagazinephotoawards.org. You can enter up to 10 pictures, and if you're a member of the Audubon Society your entry will cost you ten bucks. If you're not a member it'll cost you 17. Some of the prizes are pretty nice. You might want to give it a shot.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dalethorn

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:13:07 am »

Quote from: RSL
Dale, I normally don't comment on bird pictures because any Audubon book has bird pictures made by people who have to be really good at photographing birds in order to sell their work. But here's an idea: You shoot a lot of bird pictures. Some of them are technically quite competent. Audubon magazine is running a Photography Awards contest at the moment with a deadline of July 15. You can get all the details at www.audubonmagazinephotoawards.org. You can enter up to 10 pictures, and if you're a member of the Audubon Society your entry will cost you ten bucks. If you're not a member it'll cost you 17. Some of the prizes are pretty nice. You might want to give it a shot.

Thanx for the tip - $17 isn't much for entry with the likes of Audobon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up