Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA -- another opinion  (Read 5495 times)

Mike Arst

Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA -- another opinion
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »

I read Michael Reichmann's review of the Colorspace UDMA and bought one partly on the strength of his endorsement. I have no doubt that he gave it a thumbs-up only after taking a seriously critical look at it. Well, it's a "YMMV" sort of world. After receiving the Hyperdrive, I have some grave reservations...

Support: Sanho was quick to respond to 'pre-sales' questions but they have been unresponsive so far to tech-support questions (a criticism I have seen in other reviews and forum messages about this equipment). Their e-mailed auto-responses include links for viewing one's own tech-support history. The links in the mail almost always point to invalid destinations on their web site. Someone is not minding the store...

Shipping: Sanho did a bad job of packing this equipment to ship. There was almost no padding around the factory box, and the whole package took a hard hit during shipping (large dent in one corner). The Hyperdrive itself was not padded within its inner compartment in the factory box -- it was free to rattle around inside. There's no excuse for that kind of carelessness in packing. The unit does appear to be working normally, but I have been down this road before: hard drives that take too hard a knock in transit can sometimes appear fine at the outset, then fail prematurely (and of course unpredictably).

Documentation: It's never surprising when, say, hardware engineers write bad documentation. The Hyperdrive documentation is no exception; it's very clear that the documentation wasn't written by an experienced tech writer with an "end-user focus." There are some functions seen in the menus that aren't mentioned or discussed in the manual. This kind of omission is inexcusable in a device this costly. It's especially irritating when the functions in question don't seem to work or aren't "intuitive". Compounding the documentation problem -- the PDF-format manual available on Sanho's web site was saved in a way that makes it un-searchable.

Display / color management: to my surprise, the Hyperdrive's EXIF displays for Nikon D3 raw files include "undefined" for the color space. Hogwash. The Exiftool program clearly displays a color space for these .NEF files -- whatever the user set for them in firmware. (To my surprise, JPEGs 'cooked' in the D3 really don't have an attached color space. I have no idea why that would be.)

The error in detecting the color space might be why, despite Sanho's mouth-watering promo shots of the Hyperdrive LCD displays, the color actually displayed on the LCD is downright dull. (The images I'm viewing on it are far more colorful on the LCD of the camera itself.) This is a major irritation; why pay so much extra for a display device when its displays are that inaccurate?

Power-saver mode: an older model of Hyperdrive I owned had a stupid, user-hostile feature of powering down when it was running on AC power. Likewise the Colorspace UDMA -- supremely irritating considering the time it takes to boot up (also mentioned in Michael Reichmann's review). If you're in the middle of reviewing something or performing a file operation, you lose your place and must start over. An auto-power-off feature makes sense when the device is running on batteries -- and no sense when it's running on AC power. Sure, dim the LCD if need be. But power all the way off? If that's a feature, who needs bugs?

My conclusion: the device might turn out to be fine in the end. But considering premium price, the problems, and (so far) Sanho's less-than-scintillating responsiveness: if I hadn't run out of time (my bad!) for getting a backup device prior to an overseas trip, I would have looked at alternatives. If Sanho responds to my queries and some of the problems can be solved, I might feel better about this thing. But right now I'm far from sold on it; the possibility of a drive failure due to subtle damage during shipping is making me very nervous indeed.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »

I have two Hyperdrive SPACEs for dual backups on the road, and love them. While everything you say about the documentation and UI is right on the money, and I don't doubt your experience with their customer support, I'm a bit confused about the "premium" tag you try to put on the product.

When I bought my SPACEs, they were about half the price of the competition - and I could buy my own HDDs to save more. Therefore I was expecting rudimentary docs and poor UI just like the numerous reviews I read stated. But it works, and does what it advertises. And it does it well. And it's faster and has longer battery life than anything else in the market (at least at the time I bought them).

I don't know what the Colorspace costs - perhaps it is marketed as a premium product.

Mike Arst

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:54:49 pm »

Quote from: feppe
I'm a bit confused about the "premium" tag you try to put on the product.
$380 plus shipping. Call it something other than "premium" if you prefer. It strikes me as a premium price. It's "premium enough" to merit better-than-lousy documentation and better treatment than the amateurish packing job they did.

Found out something else dismaying about it this evening. Say you highlight a folder in the file-manager display. Then, in some fit of clumsiness, you select "Delete" when that wasn't what you wanted to do. Result: the folder is gone immediately -- no confirmation screen. Stupid move, right. But it's the kind of mistake anyone can make and will make at some time, all best intentions aside. There's that old joke: "(Patient:) Doctor -- it hurts when I walk this way!" "(Doctor:) So, don't walk that way." Yeah, yeah, yeah. For them to have omitted a query in this case -- given the potential disaster in losing an entire directory of shots due to an error -- is BYS (beyond-stupid programming). I design software tools for internal use at work. Somehow, even I (yeah, stranger than fiction, even without a computer-science degree) managed to figure out that "Are you sure? (y/n)" is a query worth adding to guard against accidental deletions that might prove disastrous. Cheap insurance, and a worthwhile service for the end-user. Shame on them, already.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:12:16 am »

It isn't, tho.  The Epson 160GB image tank is $800.  A 160GB jobo is $900.

I don't have the colorspace.  I have the original one.  It has some issues but it was cheap.  I would recommend one if you can live with not actually seeing the images you've downloaded.  (A similar device would be the nexto which some people like.  But it really looks like someone put it together in their basement.  So I'm thinking it isn't your cup of tea.)

If you want a color one with a decent display you're pretty much talking colorspace udma or the jobo or epson.  Both are a big time premium over the sanho product.

Mike Arst

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:29:50 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
It isn't, tho.  The Epson 160GB image tank is $800.  A 160GB jobo is $900.
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. I knew Epson's prices for previous models but had no idea the newer ones cost so much more. It's hard to gauge what worth to place on the LCD (a truly superior display technology? Or mere marketing hype?) and there's nothing in Epson's 'interactive' web tour to assess how well the embedded software is designed. At those prices, I hope their software is much better than Sanho's. Anyway, after seeing the prices I must definitely retract my earlier "premium price" remark (IOW: previous responder 'feppe': you're right). I see now it's "premium" only because I winced on clicking the "Submit" button when I bought it...but not by comparison with the others.

Still, something costing $400 or more calls for better docs and embedded software -- and surely less disaster-prone packing for shipping. (On the other hand...for $800, it seems to me Epson ought to supply its higher-end model with a drive larger than 160GB.)

I don't have the colorspace.  I have the original one.  It has some issues but it was cheap.  I would recommend one if you can live with not actually seeing the images you've downloaded.  (A similar device would be the nexto which some people like.  But it really looks like someone put it together in their basement.  So I'm thinking it isn't your cup of tea.)
Truly, I don't care much how the thing looks like if it's solid enough and there are no seriously creepy bugs or design flaws. I had one of the original Hyperdrives and you're right about its having some issues. I went to this newer one only because I needed something faster. That much, it lives up to -- it's lightning-fast by comparison with any other backup system I've seen. I'd thought I would benefit from the color display. I will benefit from the display somewhat, but given the (apparent) color management issues, not nearly as much as I'd wished -- it would certainly be "polite" of Sanho if they'd stoop to respond to the tech-support mail I sent about that. IAC thanks again for the heads-up on those other prices.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:31:10 am by Mike Arst »

feppe

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:12:57 am »

Quote from: Mike Arst
Still, something costing $400 or more calls for better docs and embedded software -- and surely less disaster-prone packing for shipping. (On the other hand...for $800, it seems to me Epson ought to supply its higher-end model with a drive larger than 160GB.)

It would be a one-time modest investment to overhaul the documentation, UI and packaging, and they'd have a much more appealing product. Of course they would have to increase prices accordingly. But I have a gut feeling they could still sell for significantly lower prices than the competition, while maintaining roughly similar margin%.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 10:10:45 am »

They really should support their product.  Especially since if you remove "ease" from the equation you're down to just size as its selling point.  I mean you can get a netbook for like $310 that comes with a 4 in 1 card reader and a 160GB drive.  Throw in a second hard disk (external) and you're golden.

Mike Arst

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:10:44 pm »

It would be a one-time modest investment to overhaul the documentation, UI and packaging, and they'd have a much more appealing product. Of course they would have to increase prices accordingly. But I have a gut feeling they could still sell for significantly lower prices than the competition, while maintaining roughly similar margin%.
Packaging-wise: someone throwing a small wad of bubble-wrap around the device would have added a small but reasonable amount of protection.

I don't know what a tech writer would charge to take the existing documentation, expand it, clean up the language, and so forth. I've written documentation and I know how time-consuming it can be. But in this case, how time-consuming would it be when the writer wouldn't be doing it completely from scratch? Surely it wouldn't be a huge expense to the company -- a drop in the bucket. One way to "fake" a UI improvement would be to provide better documentation that does a proper job of explaining the UI. It seems companies driven by engineers take a long time to learn this lesson: insufficient documentation can add substantially to their support costs. Of course, if they just don't bother to respond to their customers' tech-support requests: well, problem solved! :-/

Mike Arst

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 02:14:14 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
They really should support their product.  Especially since if you remove "ease" from the equation you're down to just size as its selling point.  I mean you can get a netbook for like $310 that comes with a 4 in 1 card reader and a 160GB drive.  Throw in a second hard disk (external) and you're golden.
Since getting this thing I've received e-mail from a couple of friends who said: Uh, why not just get a netbook? Uh...yeah, good question. The ones stocked locally all seem to support SD cards, but not CF cards. But that's no problem with a USB connection and a small CF reader. Haven't seen any $310 netbooks, but still the prices -- considering that you also get wireless capability with the things -- are downright favorable.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:25:22 pm »

Since getting this thing I've received e-mail from a couple of friends who said: Uh, why not just get a netbook? Uh...yeah, good question. The ones stocked locally all seem to support SD cards, but not CF cards. But that's no problem with a USB connection and a small CF reader. Haven't seen any $310 netbooks, but still the prices -- considering that you also get wireless capability with the things -- are downright favorable.
The $310 netbook was just the cheapest listed at newegg.com.  (Newegg being my favorite computer hardware store.  I've no affiliation with newegg.)

feppe

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 02:48:38 pm »

Size and weight - a netbook won't fit in my pocket or even my camera bag.

Mike Arst

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »

Size and weight - a netbook won't fit in my pocket or even my camera bag.
I'm guessing it would fit into the 'messenger' type bag I use. Not that I'd welcome the additional weight. Then again, I wouldn't have to carry it around all the time. With two CF card slots in the camera and plenty of space in the bag for extra cards, I wouldn't need to have the backup device with me. It's at the point when I've filled up all the cards AND I feel some compelling need to see if I've amassed dozens more friends on Facebook -- going online wirelessly with the netbook to check -- that its value will truly shine. Ok, I made up the part about Facebook. :-) Anyway, evaluating shots on that much larger screen is appealing. What's involved in getting set up to ensure a wireless connection once we're in rural Sweden...dunno about that...but probably no problem in Stockholm or Göteborg or some other large city.

feppe

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:48:58 pm »

I'm guessing it would fit into the 'messenger' type bag I use. Not that I'd welcome the additional weight. Then again, I wouldn't have to carry it around all the time. With two CF card slots in the camera and plenty of space in the bag for extra cards, I wouldn't need to have the backup device with me. It's at the point when I've filled up all the cards AND I feel some compelling need to see if I've amassed dozens more friends on Facebook -- going online wirelessly with the netbook to check -- that its value will truly shine. Ok, I made up the part about Facebook. :-) Anyway, evaluating shots on that much larger screen is appealing. What's involved in getting set up to ensure a wireless connection once we're in rural Sweden...dunno about that...but probably no problem in Stockholm or Göteborg or some other large city.

My main concern when traveling is losing my data due to theft or misplacement. Therefore I need two copies of my images at all times, and make the first backup right after each shoot.

If one is not as paranoid as I am, and is fine with taking backups back in the hotel room, then that's not an issue, of course.

But yeah, netbook is much better for viewing images, and does much more than backups.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »

Another option is the Vosonic 8870 that I use.  It'd be great to hear from someone who owns both.  On the VP8870:
+1 Great screen, reasonable price
+1 Great customer service from MyDigitalDiscount in USA.
+1 Easy battery change
-1 Slow backup.  24 minutes for a full 16GB backup.  Apparently half the speed of a Colorspace UDMA model.  
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....st&p=282923

I recon the huge advantage of these small devices over a netbook are (1) battery life for many hours' use off-grid and (2) they do not require much attention to do a backup.  I pull the Vosonic out from the shoulder bag, pop in a CF card, hit save and pop it back in the bag and continue shooting with a 2nd CF card while the device does the download.  Netbooks versus these on-the-go drives have different strengths for different uses.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:15:18 pm by reburns »
Pages: [1]   Go Up