Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Problems With Lightroom 2.3  (Read 3282 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Printing Problems With Lightroom 2.3
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:40:00 pm »

Currently I am using a Canon IPF5000 for printing from Lightroom 2.3 (via Macbook Pro). When I manage the printing using LR I get poor prints.  However if I manage color via the printer I get good results that match real close the image color on the monitor.  Yes the monitor is calibrated and the printer color manager is turn off when using LR.  No matter what I do if I print using LR to manage the color the prints are poor. Mostly dark and colors are off. Any idea what may be causing this problem?

Thank!  Stu

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:43:58 pm »

Works great for myself and several of my clients using the 5000 and other iPF printers. Are you using the latest OS, iPF drivers and firmware update? And if the prints are poor, in what way are they poor?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

GBengtson

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:37 pm »

Quote from: StuartOnline
Currently I am using a Canon IPF5000 for printing from Lightroom 2.3 (via Macbook Pro). When I manage the printing using LR I get poor prints.  However if I manage color via the printer I get good results that match real close the image color on the monitor.  Yes the monitor is calibrated and the printer color manager is turn off when using LR.  No matter what I do if I print using LR to manage the color the prints are poor. Mostly dark and colors are off. Any idea what may be causing this problem?

Thank!  Stu

I have the IPF 5100 and have also found printing from Lightroom directly can be problematic. I think the problem has to do with fact that the printer maintains the profiles internally and the communication with Lightroom  doesn't work very well. It may be due to the fact that Canon has created a print plug-in specialized for use with Photoshop and doesn't really support Lightroom.  As a result I have resorted to printing out of Photoshop using the Canon Print Plug-In. Using the plug-in makes printing a breeze and the prints are great. Hope this helps.

Jerry B

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »

Quote from: StuartOnline

Thank!  Stu

I am assuming your are having the double profiling problem and your OS is 10.5.x. You can check the double profiling problem by seeing what is listed under Main/Advanced Settings/Color Mode/Set/Matching (in the driver) when you choose LR manages color. If Matching shows ColorSync you are getting double profiling.

Many of us have solved this problem with the iPFx000 driver 1.30 by installing the 1.90 driver for the iPF5100. You do not need to delete the iPF5000 from "Print & Fax" setup just install the 1.90 driver, and you do not need to add anything in "Print & Fax". Then check the Main/Advanced Settings/Color Mode/Set/Matching (in the driver) and see if is now changed to No Correction.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:46:18 pm »

Quote from: DYP
I am assuming your are having the double profiling problem and your OS is 10.5.x. You can check the double profiling problem by seeing what is listed under Main/Advanced Settings/Color Mode/Set/Matching (in the driver) when you choose LR manages color. If Matching shows ColorSync you are getting double profiling.

Many of us have solved this problem with the iPFx000 driver 1.30 by installing the 1.90 driver for the iPF5100. You do not need to delete the iPF5000 from "Print & Fax" setup just install the 1.90 driver, and you do not need to add anything in "Print & Fax". Then check the Main/Advanced Settings/Color Mode/Set/Matching (in the driver) and see if is now changed to No Correction.

DYP,

I assume you are saying even though I am using Canon IPF5000 I should install 1.90 driver for the iPF5100?  What I have been doing is clicking on Color Matching and select Vendor Matching.  From there I go to Main/Advanced Settings/Color Mode/Set/Matching and choose No Correction. So I assume since I have the option "No Correction" I may not need 1.90.

Just a follow up as I did notice even after I did the above via Print Setting, when I went to do the final print I checked the setting again and it showed ColorSync.  So as you suggested I have now installed 1.90 driver for iPF5100 even though I am using iPF5000.  Now when I checked the setting just before printing is shows No Correction. So it looks like this 1.90 driver has done the trick. Did a print and it was correct and matched the monitor, I never thought about using the driver from the iPF5100. This will make printing some much easier.

Thanks!

Stu
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:19:04 pm by StuartOnline »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »

I should have mentioned that under Print Setting you can choose No Correction and then use Print One. But only once, and then you have to close LR and start it again or it will default to ColorSync.

But all that is now behind you now since you figured it out and installed the 1.90 drivers. Lets just hope nothing changes and in OS or LR updates and we are back to the double profiling again. Adobe did it with LR2.3RC but fixed it in the final release.

Pages: [1]   Go Up