Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just for the fun of it - ISO percentage  (Read 1893 times)

robertwatcher

Just for the fun of it - ISO percentage
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:08:52 pm »

In another discussion, a few photographers were using the data provided by Lightroom to figure out the percentage of images that they shoot at each ISO. The actual number of images is easy enough to come by (Lightroom provides these for each ISO), but the percentage of images shot at each ISO setting required a little knowledge of Algebra and a few struggled with figuring that out.

Well I decided to use my little bit of Algebra knowledge necessary to computer programming, and threw together a USELESS little Online APP to calculate the percentages at each ISO, based on the numbers provided by Lightroom (or any other database for that matter. Even if you don't care, it can still be fun just entering numbers and clicking buttons and see what you get .

ON-LINE PERCENTAGE CALCULATOR FOR YOU TO FIGURE OUT YOUR ISO's WITH:

www.finchandchimps.com/calculate_percentage

If you have the numbers from Lightroom or any other database, just enter them in the ISO boxes and press Calculate Now. The percentage values are on the right side. I built it to "Round" the percentage value to decimal points. Hope you enjoy.

--

francois

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:28:01 am »

Robert,
There's seems to be a (temporary?) problem with your website.
Francois

robertwatcher

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:04:06 am »

Quote from: francois
Robert,
There's seems to be a (temporary?) problem with your website.

Thank you. I was doing some maintenance on my server for a short while through the night, and that made my sites unavailable during that time. All is back and running.

----

In Lightroom, I have around 130,000 files that are all from paid jobs over the last few years (wedding, portrait, commercial). There are no personal files or art and stock files (they would account for even more high ISO files).

These are the percentages from these files (pretty well exactly what I expected with the mid range 400 to 800 predominant)

100 ISO - 7.25%
200 ISO - 15.21%
400 ISO - 40.49%
800 ISO - 23.68%
1600 ISO - 11.92%
3200 ISO - 1.45%

---

if anyone likes fiddling with php and wants to make something of their own, here is the simple processing engine part of the script that I made - to give a head start:

if($_POST['calc']){
    $iso = $_POST['iso'];
    $isottl = array_sum($iso);
    $cnt = 0;
    foreach ($iso as $val) {
        if($val>0){
            $calc = round(($val*100)/$isottl, 2);
            $per[$cnt] = "$calc%";
        }else{
            $per[$cnt] = "0%";
        }
        $cnt++;
    }
    $perttl = array_sum($per);
}

with "name=iso[]" being the form input Post value, and "$per[]" being the returned array containing percentage values
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 08:37:43 am by robertwatcher »

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:15:49 am »

It works fine now!

100 ISO    18%
 200 ISO     54%
 400 ISO     23%
 800 ISO       3%
1600 ISO   1.5%

The rest is taken at 50 & 3200 ISO
Francois

Tklimek

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:59 am »

You know what else I think would be cool????  The same concept except by focal length.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: robertwatcher
In another discussion, a few photographers were using the data provided by Lightroom to figure out the percentage of images that they shoot at each ISO. The actual number of images is easy enough to come by (Lightroom provides these for each ISO), but the percentage of images shot at each ISO setting required a little knowledge of Algebra and a few struggled with figuring that out.

Well I decided to use my little bit of Algebra knowledge necessary to computer programming, and threw together a USELESS little Online APP to calculate the percentages at each ISO, based on the numbers provided by Lightroom (or any other database for that matter. Even if you don't care, it can still be fun just entering numbers and clicking buttons and see what you get .

ON-LINE PERCENTAGE CALCULATOR FOR YOU TO FIGURE OUT YOUR ISO's WITH:

www.finchandchimps.com/calculate_percentage

If you have the numbers from Lightroom or any other database, just enter them in the ISO boxes and press Calculate Now. The percentage values are on the right side. I built it to "Round" the percentage value to decimal points. Hope you enjoy.

--
Pages: [1]   Go Up