Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 and Wireless printing.  (Read 4802 times)

Mr. Capp

Epson 3800 and Wireless printing.
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:37 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with printing wireless on the 3800? Good? Bad? Tips? Can you just hook it up to a regular wireless router?
Many thanks,
-Michael

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:45:05 am »

Quote from: Mr. Capp
Does anyone have any experience with printing wireless on the 3800? Good? Bad? Tips? Can you just hook it up to a regular wireless router?
Many thanks,
-Michael

I did a lot of research on wireless printing when I needed to locate my printers in a different room than my computer. You cannot simply hook the printer to a wireless router. There are various techniques for wireless printing (if the printer does not have the capability built in) but my researches led me to conclude that they were hard to set up and prone to problems. As a result I bit the bullet and crawled through many spider webs under my house to string an ethernet cable.  I recommend you do the same if at all possible.

Peter

Desmond

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:42:32 am »

Technically you can hook up the Epson 3800 to a wireless router, set up is easy but there could be a lot of problem afterward. I connected my 3800 to the wifi router in the living room and tried to print via Wifi. Sometime it works but some time it doesn't. If you connect install add the printer through apple talk or Bonjour, you may find occasional communication error. The communication error won't show up if you add the printer using IP, but even it continue to print, it could be very slow, said 1 hour for a A3 print. What wasted is not only time, after I finished the prints I checked the ink consumption, you guess? a A4 took 8ml and another A3 took 22ml.

End up I do all the photoshop work on my iMac and move the file to the Macbook to print through wired network. Or as Peter suggested to lay a ethenet cable if possible.
Regards,

Desmond

Gemmtech

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:37:12 am »

I print almost exclusively via wireless, even with my 1280 I print wireless, not a problem just 2 limitations, can't preview the image (who cares) and ink levels wont show (who cares)

howardm

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:50:17 pm »

I print wirelessly via Airport Express to a Brother laser printer but I would be skeptical that a 3800 would work *well, reliably and consistently* via wireless.

sakharov

• http://veloclub.ru
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:04:41 am »

I print a lot on 3800 through WiFi .g (54Mbit)
As soon as your WiFi access point works reliably, as it should, you can prin without any problem.
Keep in mind you can use around 30-40% of wireless channel for real data transfer, not around 90% through cable connection.
In any case, printing itself is the slowest part in the chain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up