Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson R280 User, Questions  (Read 1762 times)

larrytxeast

New Epson R280 User, Questions
« on: June 03, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »

Last week I purchased what I consider my first "real" photo printer, the Epson R280. Though I only paid $55 for it, brand-new, shipped, with 6 full Claria inks, (got it from Fred Miranda) and I knew it was a "budget" model, I read great things about it (in particular here at Luminous and at DPreview). Basically what I've been told is that, if 8x10s are large enough (and for now they are), it really is a good printer.

That has been my experience so far, too. I am a hobbyist, a Nikon d-SLR user, and do a lot of landscapes.

This printer, apparently, is basically the same as the Epson 1400 only with 8x10 as the maximum size (again, ok with me).

So far, I have used the following paper. For 8x10, I have been using Kodak Ultra Premium Photo Paper, High Gloss (cat#1252261), got it for $16.95 from Sam's Club, 65 sheets. For 5x7 I have used Ilford Premium Photo Glossy, 250g/m² (cat#1146588), got it on clearance 50 sheets for $6.49 from Best Buy.

I have figured out settings for both (detailed at this DPreview posting) that work great so far, based on suggestions from the respective paper makers and my own experimentation, therefore basically you could say "I'm all set, up and running."

However, I would like guidance and clarification, if I may.

First-off, regarding print quality, is there any reason for me to print at Photo RPM (Best Photo) instead of Photo. I tried Photo and it prints quite a bit quicker, yet it seems to look just as good to me, at least with my 5x7s anyway. In fact, the Ilford paper suggestions state to use either one, while the Kodak advises Photo RPM. (I do have high-speed and bi-directional OFF at all times.)

Secondly, I'm always hearing about ICC profiles. Thing is, though, with the settings I have, the colors seem to come out very close. If that's the case, is there any reason to bother? And if I do need to download ICC profiles, is there somewhere that has them "en masse?" I never can seem to find any, and others always say they have to be custom-made. Why wouldn't they all be cataloged on a large site somewhere?

Regarding ink/paper sources, someone mentioned this site (Atlex.com) as a good site. Anyone have any other suggestions, or is that one good enough to just not even bother with anyone else?

Also, what settings in Photoshop (I guess?) do I need to make the pictures borderless? I actually prefer them full-frame, and have been printing as-such, but in case someone wants me to do a borderless-one for them, I need to know how to do so. Thing is, I check "borderless" in the Epson printer driver and they come out full-frame--again, I prefer that, but I need to know what to do to make them borderless for those that want it.

Finally (I guess), does anyone have other suggestions for paper that they think would work better than what I have? What I have seems great-looking, but if there is a certain paper some swear by, I'd like to know--especially for matte printing (those papers are glossy).

LRH
My PBase site
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:24:28 pm by larrytxeast »

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:57 pm »

Quote from: larrytxeast
However, I would like guidance and clarification, if I may.

First-off, regarding print quality, is there any reason for me to print at Photo RPM (Best Photo) instead of Photo. I tried Photo and it prints quite a bit quicker, yet it seems to look just as good to me, at least with my 5x7s anyway. In fact, the Ilford paper suggestions state to use either one, while the Kodak advises Photo RPM. (I do have high-speed and bi-directional OFF at all times.)

Trust YOUR eyes.  It is worth checking a larger sample though - and also under a loupe - though use this with caution.....because no matter how much better it looks at 10x, unless you are a cyborg, you don't enjoy photographs at 10x.  If you see an improvement, use it, if you don't, then don't.

Secondly, I'm always hearing about ICC profiles. Thing is, though, with the settings I have, the colors seem to come out very close. If that's the case, is there any reason to bother? And if I do need to download ICC profiles, is there somewhere that has them "en masse?" I never can seem to find any, and others always say they have to be custom-made. Why wouldn't they all be cataloged on a large site somewhere?

Profiles can be found on paper manufacturers sites.  It may be you need to use the 1400 profile but if the printer technology is the same, I'd not sweat that too much.  Cheap papers often don't have profiles as their target market is grandma and she isn't going to get her hands dirty with colour management.  The glossy papers with printer management are fine for snaps.  I doubt too many people on here would admit to not using ICC profiles - though I imagine a fair few will own up to hair loss as a result of mismatches and other things.

Finally (I guess), does anyone have other suggestions for paper that they think would work better than what I have? What I have seems great-looking, but if there is a certain paper some swear by, I'd like to know--especially for matte printing (those papers are glossy).

I'm going through an HP Hannamule Fine Art Matt phase right now.  It's a habit I suggest you avoid - costs like royal family grade cocaine.  Epson make some fine papers, their Archival Matt is lovely.  I'm going to be investigating Innova and Crane shortly in an attempt to reduce the financial impact of my habit.  You need to be aware that many of the high end papers are designed for pigment inks rather than the dye inks that your printer uses.

HTH

larrytxeast

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:55 pm »

Quote from: situgrrl
≤snip≥

Thanks very much for the insight, situgrrl.

I hope my post wasn't too overloaded with the cross-reference links. Some may find them annoying but they're really helpful. I put them there so I can return to this posting as a sort of "one-stop shopping" spot that has everything about the printer I need to know, regarding where to buy ink, where to find the paper, what settings I used in case I ever have to reinstall the software, etc. (Wikipedia does the same thing, makes sense to me.)

It's funny what you say about the bargain papers not having ICC profiles because "their target is grandma." The Ilford paper had ICC profiles at the site (although not for the R280, the closest they had was for the 1400 I think), that is definitely not paper "targeted at Grandma" I would say (given Ilford's rich tradition with "artistic" types) but I sure got it at a great price just the same.

You are right, this is addicting. So far, too, it looks like it may not cost much more than when I used AdoramaPix, especially given the shipping costs. (That often-times also had me "sand-bagging," that is, waiting months to print anything until a special was here, so that I could take full advantage of it and also so I'd pay less for shipping print-for-print.) The only time I think AdoramaPix might save me money is when they're having the specials like 8x10 for $1 or 5x7s for 25¢ or whatever. (And of course if I want 11x14 or larger they're still it.) Besides the immediate feedback, it just makes me feel like I now have the darkroom I never had and wanted as a teenager (I'm 40 now), minus the smell of chemicals and funky lights of course (heehee).
Pages: [1]   Go Up