Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IPS + LED monitors, 24-30"  (Read 63849 times)

Graham Mitchell

IPS + LED monitors, 24-30"
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:30:22 am »

When I upgrade my current monitor I'd like it to be an IPS panel based LCD unit with LED backlighting, 24-30"

This seems to be a fairly new but potent combination. I have made a list of the units I've found, and hope people can add more I haven't discovered and give feedback on the ones I have. There doesn't seem to be many out yet.

- New Apple 24" LED. At $900 this came so close to being a killer monitor but then Appe had to put a siny surface on it and give it a new conneciton which almost no-one has!
See the glossy problem here: http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/app...1126-135523.jpg

- LG W2420R. This seems to be Europe only. Anyone tried one? Was supposed to come out about a month ago. See http://www.displayblog.com/2009/03/17/lg-w...-led-backlight/

- HP DreamColor LP2480zx. Great reputation but pricey.

Did I miss any?

tho_mas

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:55:55 am »

Quote from: foto-z
I'd like it to be an IPS panel based LCD unit with LED backlighting
why LED only? You exclude some very good displays.
HP DreamColor LP2480zx. Great reputation but pricey.
heard different things about it - seems to depend on the copy as there is apparently some variation in the series.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:20:42 am »

Quote from: tho_mas

The extra gamut, stability and longevity. It seems there are only advantages (except perhaps price). Reduced power consumption is just another bonus but not a primary reason.

heard different things about it - seems to depend on the copy as there is apparently some variation in the series.

Oh, that's news to me but exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. Do you know of a specific thread about this?

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:36:26 am »

The extra gamut, stability and longevity. It seems there are only advantages (except perhaps price).
we don't know yet! From the specs the LG is a great display. As to the LED backlight, yes, the NEC 21'' SV Reference (AFAIK the first LED display a few years ago) is a great display ... but it is a highend display.
I'd take a look at the calibration software. Actually it's good to take the manufacturers calibration software when using colorimters (instead of spectrometers) as the manufacturers implement correction curves for the specific display/measurment device (at least Quato and Eizo do so and it works just great).
The calibration software should be capable to adjust luminance, different TRCs ("Gamma"), white point (so far nothing special) and in addition you should be able to set the black point and to adjust the white point manually (but triggered by the software).

Do you know of a specific thread about this?
not a specific thread just some scattered comments in a German prepress forum.
Variation in a series should not be a big problem if the dealer/manufacturer is okay - if you get a bad copy you just send it back.
I sent back 2 Eizos and took the third... a bit shipping trouble but nothing serious.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:01:17 pm »

You have to differentiate between the white LED backlit monitors (Apple) and the RGB backlit monitors like the HP DreamColor. It is the monitor with individual red green and blue LEDs that produces a wider color gamut.
I have been using the HP DreamColor LP2480zx since January of this year and it is an excellent choice. Compared to the other RGB LED monitors on the market, it is relatively inexpensive ($1999) and is unique in that you can actually calibrate seven different color profiles including Full Gamut, Adobe RGB and sRGB. You can switch profiles with the push of a button. This monitor offers the widest gamut currently available.  It also allows input from HDMI, VGA, DVI and display port. There were quality control issues with the production of the first line of monitors that produced uneven color. I did have to return the first monitor I purchased but the replacement was perfect.  I would not hesitate to recommend this monitor.
Gerald J Skrocki

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:48:47 pm »

- New Apple 24" LED. At $900 this came so close to being a killer monitor but then Appe had to put a siny surface on it and give it a new conneciton which almost no-one has!
See the glossy problem here: http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/app...1126-135523.jpg

I really do not understand why Apple has chosen to offer their new screens in glossy only. And that adaptor. . . what are they thinking? Hopefully when the 30" version comes out it will not have these limitations.

vjbelle

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:44:10 pm »

When I upgrade my current monitor I'd like it to be an IPS panel based LCD unit with LED backlighting, 24-30"

This seems to be a fairly new but potent combination. I have made a list of the units I've found, and hope people can add more I haven't discovered and give feedback on the ones I have. There doesn't seem to be many out yet.

- LG W2420R. This seems to be Europe only. Anyone tried one? Was supposed to come out about a month ago. See http://www.displayblog.com/2009/03/17/lg-w...-led-backlight/

- HP DreamColor LP2480zx. Great reputation but pricey.

Did I miss any?

I had hoped that the new Apple LED display would be the answer for me but after three displays I gave up using it as my primary display and settled for using one as a secondary monitor.  I love the fact that it is instantly bright and uses less power and emits less heat but I never had a unit that was even top to bottom left to right with color.  I ended up getting a NEC 2690WUXi2 for my primary display and love it.  Perfect edge to edge top to bottom..... can't say enough about this display except that it does use slightly more power and emits a fair amount of heat.  SpectraView software is a must.....

BJNY

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 08:00:03 am »

Quote from: jerryrock
You have to differentiate between the white LED backlit monitors (Apple) and the RGB backlit monitors like the HP DreamColor. It is the monitor with individual red green and blue LEDs that produces a wider color gamut.
I have been using the HP DreamColor LP2480zx since January of this year and it is an excellent choice. Compared to the other RGB LED monitors on the market, it is relatively inexpensive ($1999) and is unique in that you can actually calibrate seven different color profiles including Full Gamut, Adobe RGB and sRGB. You can switch profiles with the push of a button. This monitor offers the widest gamut currently available.  It also allows input from HDMI, VGA, DVI and display port. There were quality control issues with the production of the first line of monitors that produced uneven color. I did have to return the first monitor I purchased but the replacement was perfect.  I would not hesitate to recommend this monitor.

Thanks, Jerry.
Would you advise where to purchase, and how to avoid the first production run, please?
Billy
Guillermo

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:42 am »

I agree. I'd take NEC 2690WUXi2 or 3090WUXi, that also have huge gamut, H-IPS A-TW panel, can be calibrated with surgical precision, and have electronic uniformity compensation. Apple and LG are simple displays, not destined for color critical applications. If for whatever reason you just feel an urge to have LED display, take HP - but IMO it's pointless, you can have better & larger display for that money.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:46:24 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

BJNY

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 09:22:28 am »

Graham,
Here's a thread about the HP:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1366545
Guillermo

Clearair

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 04:16:12 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
I agree. I'd take NEC 2690WUXi2 or 3090WUXi, that also have huge gamut, H-IPS A-TW panel, can be calibrated with surgical precision, and have electronic uniformity compensation. Apple and LG are simple displays, not destined for color critical applications. If for whatever reason you just feel an urge to have LED display, take HP - but IMO it's pointless, you can have better & larger display for that money.

I chose an EIZO CG241W in preference to LED displays, which I enjoy for entertainment, DVD's Blue ray etc.
But I print and to achieve WYSIWYG I would have to dumb LED monitors down. So there was no point in spending the extra cash for the only top flight monitor using LED lighting available at the beginning of the year here in the UK.
I also took advise from the supplier on this who retailed both.
I think you tailor to the need.
Of course I wish reflected light two dimensional objects had the ability to perform like my LED TV.
I do appreciate any environmental issues.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 02:13:44 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Thanks, Jerry.
Would you advise where to purchase, and how to avoid the first production run, please?
Billy

I purchased the monitor direct from HP along with the HP Advanced Profiling Solution which is the specially filtered i1 Display 2 and software made for this specific monitor.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF...71-3648397.html

Jerry
Gerald J Skrocki

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:15:11 am »

I've always like NEC monitors.

I do have an HP Dream Color. For the price it's a very interesting monitor. You won't find a monitor for the same price with more gamut or potential. It is reliable, and has little color shift throughout the day.   Question of screen uniformity though is not good. The copy I have has a significant cyan/green cast on the right or maybe it's magenta/red on the left. Top to bottom seem s fine though. What is nice is the off axis viewing is very good better than most. I have profiled it with many different approaches, but for ease of use the HP X-Rite APS with  the custom i1D2 is perfect for what it does. I would prefer ColorEyes or BasicColor though as I find X-Rite acceptable but not as spot on as the two earlier software kits.
As I have said before the high gamut monitors are not for the casual user. They have too much color which is fine for ICC aware programs but for general use like viewing flash ( Falsh 10 is ICC aware) or other apps non color managed the dimension of color will be all wrong. Please not I said high gamut monitor which applies to all makes>

If you really love color photography the HP might be a great choice. IF you want a good monitor that is an all around good monitor an NEC will do you well. All depends on how far you put  editing on the priority list.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:45:31 am »

Quote from: Clearair
I chose an EIZO CG241W in preference to LED displays, which I enjoy for entertainment, DVD's Blue ray etc.
But I print and to achieve WYSIWYG I would have to dumb LED monitors down. So there was no point in spending the extra cash for the only top flight monitor using LED lighting available at the beginning of the year here in the UK.
I also took advise from the supplier on this who retailed both.
I think you tailor to the need.
Of course I wish reflected light two dimensional objects had the ability to perform like my LED TV.
I do appreciate any environmental issues.

CG241 is a very good, solid and reliable display, but it has S-PVA panel. It has lower black point, so you can work at lower luminance than large NECs, but it has inferior viewing angles.

tho_mas

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 10:01:13 am »

CG241 is a very good, solid and reliable display, but it has S-PVA panel. It has lower black point, so you can work at lower luminance than large NECs, but it has inferior viewing angles.
PVA has inferior vertical viewing angles but suprior horizontal viewing angles compared to IPS:
[attachment=14383:winkel.jpg]
source: http://colormanagement.org/download_files/...ow_Monitore.pdf
In practice bith display types work very well as long as you sit centered to the display and with an approriate viewing distance.

And yes... these are the displays I had in mind with my comment above: the "NEC...WUXi" series, the "Eizo CG...W" series or the Quato "Intelli Proof ... excellence" series.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 05:01:08 pm »

PVA has inferior vertical viewing angles but suprior horizontal viewing angles compared to IPS:
[attachment=14383:winkel.jpg]
source: http://colormanagement.org/download_files/...ow_Monitore.pdf
In practice bith display types work very well as long as you sit centered to the display and with an approriate viewing distance.

And yes... these are the displays I had in mind with my comment above: the "NEC...WUXi" series, the "Eizo CG...W" series or the Quato "Intelli Proof ... excellence" series.

I'm not convinced that PVA has superior horizontal viewing angles - at angle it exhibits gamma shifts, that are not visible on IPS type displays.

Anthony R

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:08:55 pm »

I'm not convinced that PVA has superior horizontal viewing angles - at angle it exhibits gamma shifts, that are not visible on IPS type displays.

Nor am I. I previously used an Eizo CG211 and have now switched to the CG241. The horizontal viewing angles are shit. The CG211 is loads better.

Clearair

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »

Quote from: Anthony R
Nor am I. I previously used an Eizo CG211 and have now switched to the CG241. The horizontal viewing angles are shit. The CG211 is loads better.

I have not noticed this. maybe I don't move around a lot when working. I also use the hood as my space is shared with two irritating skylights. This keeps me fairly fixed.
I tried to view at at angle just for interest, think my last monitor was worse so I am happy.
I also find the monitor relaxing on the eyes? This has become important to me.

Anthony R

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 02:40:08 pm »

I stay centered as well, so working on it is less of an issue, but if I walk (or someone else) up to the monitor and am not square to it horizontally or vertically, it's horrible. Worse part is that Eizo said they will no longer be doing IPS panels.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:50 pm »

Quote from: Anthony R
I stay centered as well, so working on it is less of an issue, but if I walk (or someone else) up to the monitor and am not square to it horizontally or vertically, it's horrible. Worse part is that Eizo said they will no longer be doing IPS panels.

They lied to you - at least they did CG232W (IPS) lately
But as a matter of fact, they put S-PVA panels to most graphics monitors, the CG232W is dedicated for postproduction and broadcasting, so maybe that's why they did an exception. I suppose the Hitachi IPS panels they used were just too expansive - for example CG211 was more expansive than larger CG241W, not to mention CG221 (but that one had also unique backlight)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up