Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tree magic  (Read 3355 times)

John R

Tree magic
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:39:41 pm »

I drove around the country north of Toronto and encountered this clearing in a forest. Decided to practice some in-camera techniques. This is the result.

JMR
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:42:08 pm by John R »

byork

• http://
Tree magic
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:58:01 pm »

#3 is outstanding!!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Tree magic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:27:20 pm »

#1 in the bottom 3rd of the image it has an almost 3d effect, but overall it is unsettling to look at.

#2 The technique is spot on but the particular subject arrangement is not that great.

#3 is excellent – another one for the portfolio.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Tree magic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:54:02 pm »

I really like #1 and 2.  #1 was almost dizzying in it's three-dimensional quality.  Great effect.  #2 reminded me of a pointillist painting by someone like Seurat or van Gogh.  Nice job.

John R

Tree magic
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:41:00 am »

Quote from: Justan
#1 in the bottom 3rd of the image it has an almost 3d effect, but overall it is unsettling to look at.

#2 The technique is spot on but the particular subject arrangement is not that great.

#3 is excellent – another one for the portfolio.
Thanks for the commentary. It is hit and miss with these type of images. You just have to practice and work at it.

JMR

John R

Tree magic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:43:51 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I really like #1 and 2.  #1 was almost dizzying in it's three-dimensional quality.  Great effect.  #2 reminded me of a pointillist painting by someone like Seurat or van Gogh.  Nice job.
Thanks for the comments. I agree, the tree shots often give a three-D effect. No-2 really is hit and miss. If you go to fast, the image ends up like No-1; too slow and it ends up as soft mush, or worse, sky!

JMR

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Tree magic
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 05:38:09 pm »

Quote from: John R
Thanks for the commentary. It is hit and miss with these type of images. You just have to practice and work at it.

JMR

How did you do #2???

John R

Tree magic
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:14 pm »

Quote from: Justan
How did you do #2???
It's a simple vertical pan - up and down - motion. If you have between 1 or more secs, you can pan slower. If you you have between 1/15 and 1 sec, you have to really move the pan, almost instantaneously with the shutter. It hink I panned No-2 slower because of smaller DOF and longer exposure.

JMR
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:06:02 pm by John R »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Tree magic
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »

I've never been a fan of the "zoom" shots, so #3 doesn't do much for me. I like #2 quite a bit, it has an impressionistic look that suits the subject well I think. I'm not sure about the first one; I find it interseting, but for some reason it looks a bit more like a graphic illustration than a photograph, not sure how I feel about that.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Tree magic
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 10:03:16 pm »

John, Usually when I see photographs like these I ask the photographer if he's dropped his camera recently, but I'm intrigued by all three. Number one especially is non-specific enough that it's outside the realm of photography and into the realm of good abstract art (if there is such a thing). I could see that one hanging in my local museum. But if you hang it in a museum, for heaven's sake don't do what most absract artists do and accompany it with a bunch of BS about its deep meaning.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

Tree magic
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »

Quote from: RSL
John, Usually when I see photographs like these I ask the photographer if he's dropped his camera recently, but I'm intrigued by all three. Number one especially is non-specific enough that it's outside the realm of photography and into the realm of good abstract art (if there is such a thing). I could see that one hanging in my local museum. But if you hang it in a museum, for heaven's sake don't do what most absract artists do and accompany it with a bunch of BS about its deep meaning.
Rest assured, I will work on it ;-)  It seems I often get critiqued for doing too much PP, but as I often tell people these are the same techniques that were used by film photographers long before digital. So either one likes them or not. I will agree, regardless of technique, the image has to have good visual design and be appealling. At least to me ;-)

JMR

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Tree magic
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 11:20:57 am »

It's a simple vertical pan - up and down - motion. If you have between 1 or more secs, you can pan slower. If you you have between 1/15 and 1 sec, you have to really move the pan, almost instantaneously with the shutter. It hink I panned No-2 slower because of smaller DOF and longer exposure.

JMR

Cool! It is a very nice effect. If I get some free time this weekend I’ll do some tests. Thanks for taking the time to share your images and how they’re made.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Tree magic
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »

Rest assured, I will work on it ;-)  It seems I often get critiqued for doing too much PP, but as I often tell people these are the same techniques that were used by film photographers long before digital. So either one likes them or not. I will agree, regardless of technique, the image has to have good visual design and be appealling. At least to me ;-)

JMR

John, Here's another thought: You might want to pick up a copy of Color magazine -- a brand new publication by the publishers of Black and White (B&W). They have an annual portfolio contest and a single photo contest. I've been a subscriber since the first issue -- 2 out now and a third on its way. I also advertise in the magazine. The kind of stuff you're doing is right up their alley.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up