Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storm over Ullapool  (Read 3584 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Storm over Ullapool
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:58 pm »

I took this one in pretty low light as a storm raged over the loch. This fishing boat was making its way to the harbour - coming home, no doubt to the delight of the crew & those waiting for them at home. There's lots of noise, but I feel it gives it an almost painterly quality. I'd be interested in your comments
[attachment=14247:Coming_home.jpg]

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:42 pm »

Bill, It's excellent. Don't pay any attention to the folks who'll tell you to crop it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:35:31 pm »

I studied it a bit. Love the brooding gray light with hints of brightness. And I like the ripples in the sea and the sense of real motion as the boat heads home. Very nice.

JMR

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »

Let me qualify my reply first by saying that I like the composition and the predominance of gray.  I can see the painting-like quality to it.  Now, my bias toward high contrast and monochrome comes into play: I would love to see a high-contrast B & W version of this.  I think the noise would translate well to monochrome, giving it a Tri-X or Rodinal-like quality.  Maybe I'm way off on that though, because the gray amplifies the emotional impact of the storm.  Nice work regardless.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:38:43 am »

I wouldn't change a thing.  Nicely done.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:32:49 am »

Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated.

Quote from: jasonrandolph
... I would love to see a high-contrast B & W version of this ...

OK - how about this?
[attachment=14255:Coming_home_B_W.jpg]

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:39:28 am »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated.

OK - how about this?
[attachment=14255:Coming_home_B_W.jpg]
I agree with Mike - don't change it.

The b&w version is a pretty image, but it's lost the dark, mysterious, brooding quality of the original.

Jeremy

stamper

Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 04:03:52 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I agree with Mike - don't change it.

The b&w version is a pretty image, but it's lost the dark, mysterious, brooding quality of the original.

Jeremy

A little more space on the left and less on the right of the image would IMHO improve it? The boat appears to be sailing out of the scene instead of into it? Never the less a very pleasing image.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:05:57 am »

Quote from: stamper
A little more space on the left and less on the right of the image would IMHO improve it? ...

Had I shifted the camera to encompass more to the left of the boat other things would have intruded into the photo, not least the sun starting to appear through a break in the coulds, which accounts for the highlights essential to making the image work. Sometimes circumstances dictate more than simple aesthetics might desire, not least in driving rain and high winds  

francois

Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 05:45:00 am »

I prefer the original version. The B/W has too much contrast for my taste and I like the leaden sky of the color one.
I agree that more space on the left could be a good thing but as you said, it wasn't possible.
Anyway, a very good photo.
Francois

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:54:59 am »

Quote from: stamper
A little more space on the left and less on the right of the image would IMHO improve it? The boat appears to be sailing out of the scene instead of into it? Never the less a very pleasing image.

See that, Bill. I warned you that would happen. "But if we're not going to crop, we'll need to change the contrast." Don't you believe it. That original is best of all. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 11:24:26 am »

Since I'm the one who suggested it, I will come right out and say stick with the original.  It works much better IMHO.  And I don't see anything wrong with the framing of the shot.  The original is excellent as-is.

dalethorn

Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:32 am »

The original is best for most purposes, when viewing in, say, an art gallery.  OTOH, if I were putting this in a coffee shop, I might consider the enhanced version, depending on the viewing conditions.

stamper

Storm over Ullapool
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 03:23:19 am »

Quote from: RSL
See that, Bill. I warned you that would happen. "But if we're not going to crop, we'll need to change the contrast." Don't you believe it. That original is best of all. Bravo!

He did ask for opinions? Because you were first to comment it doesn't mean others don't have a point of "view" Variety is the spice of life?
Pages: [1]   Go Up