Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D Firewire 800 cable?  (Read 7849 times)

photolinia

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« on: June 02, 2009, 01:22:28 pm »

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased an H3DII-39 and it came with a FireWire 400 cable.  I've used other H3D cameras and they all only had FireWire400 cables.  This is strange because I've read that H3D supports FireWire 800.

I'm in the process of switching from a Windows/PC system to a Mac laptop and the MAc only comes with an 800 connector.
I already purchased a FireWire 400 to 800 adaptor, but I wonder if there are any Hasselblad FireWire 800 cables out there?

I've had a lot of problems connecting the H3D to my windows laptop (this is part of the reason I'm getting a mac book) and I would prefer to have the simplest and most direct connection from my H3D to the macbook and would probably prefer a firewire 800 cable
if it exists for the H3D...

Thanks!
-ilya

michele

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:12:23 pm »

Actually I think that the H3DII-39 has just the 800 port in the back... I have a new 17" macbook pro and it has just 1 fireware 800. So you need a 800/800 cable... Every Apple store has a 800/800 cable, not sure about the lenght, but you can also find an adapter to mount a 400 in a 800 port... By the way, I guess there is no difference in speed between 400 and 800 when we talk about thetering speed with a digital back, at least with phase backs, perhaps Hasselblad is faster
David Groover can help you much better then me
My best

Dick Roadnight

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:15:45 pm »

Quote from: photolinia
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased an H3DII-39 and it came with a FireWire 400 cable.  I've used other H3D cameras and they all only had FireWire400 cables.  This is strange because I've read that H3D supports FireWire 800.

I'm in the process of switching from a Windows/PC system to a Mac laptop and the MAc only comes with an 800 connector.
I already purchased a FireWire 400 to 800 adaptor, but I wonder if there are any Hasselblad FireWire 800 cables out there?

I've had a lot of problems connecting the H3D to my windows laptop (this is part of the reason I'm getting a mac book) and I would prefer to have the simplest and most direct connection from my H3D to the macbook and would probably prefer a firewire 800 cable
if it exists for the H3D...

Thanks!
-ilya
The Mac book pro (new 17" matt screen) is firewire 800 only and the H3D11-50 is firewire 800 only ... the plugs are different, not just the speed.

The HD3 came with a 400/800 cable, and my Hasselblad supplier supplied an 800/800 cable (not manufactured or badged by Hasselblad).

Note that most firewire 800 cables will not physically fit into the socket of the H3D unless you shave down the plastic moulding.

Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:36:38 pm »

Exactly. Talk with your Hasselblad dealer. They will have a supply of 800/800 cables that they have tested with your specific configuration.

The last thing you want is to sit there shaving plastic molding off of a cable you're using with a very nice camera.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:43:45 pm »

Not sure whether the placement of the firewire cable is at the same akward place with the H3 as with my CF back. There the firewire port is on the side (which is great if you only shoot in portrait mode and tilt your body counter clock wise). This means with the current firewire cables there is always strain on the cable. I typically buy the cheapest cables I can find which all do fit perfectly. They all eventually break so I always carry spares.

You could also opt for the Granite cable but I have already heard from several that the cable is so solid your firewire port chassis part will be the thing that breaks first instead of the cable.

There was a rumour of the hooked cable (with a 90degree angle connector), I am still baffled I cannot seem to find one. This would be great. I have burned through about 4 cables in the last 2 years compared to none with my Leaf back which has its connector at the bottom of the back.

I normally use 800/800 cables but do carry some 800/400 cables as spares.

If anything weird is starting to happen during any shoot the cable is the first thing I replace (after rebooting the whole lot).

photolinia

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »

I am also getting the new 17'' MacBook pro, and my H3DII-39 only came with the 400 firewire cable.

My options are to use a 800 to 400 adapter for my laptop, or to find the hass 800/800 cable.

would I notice differences with speed and performance between the two options that would make it worth it to buy a new cable?

where could I order one?  I do not know of a local hass supplier here in LA...

thanks!!
-ilya

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:11 pm »

You don't need a Hassy dealer to buy a firewire cable. Just get some from your local computer store or find them online. Make sure you get the 5m versions, at least those are the ones I use most. I buy mine mostly from Ebay which is a lot cheaper (cable seller based in Germany).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:47:44 pm by Dustbak »

Nick_T

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »

I am also getting the new 17'' MacBook pro, and my H3DII-39 only came with the 400 firewire cable.

My options are to use a 800 to 400 adapter for my laptop, or to find the hass 800/800 cable.

would I notice differences with speed and performance between the two options that would make it worth it to buy a new cable?

where could I order one?  I do not know of a local hass supplier here in LA...

thanks!!
-ilya

Current generation backs are all FW800. In the past they have always been supplied with 400>800 cables as the FW800 interface wasn't that common on computers and the backs were only sending data at 400 speeds anyway. With the very latest backs firmware that has changed and you will see a significant boost in speed with an 800/800 cable. Granitedigital.com sell 10 metre (30 ft) 800/800 cables (didn't need trimming) which work very well BUT they have a ferrite bead close to the plug which puts strain on the camera socket. I dun a 30CM lightweight cable to a non-powered repeater (also from Granite) and then the 10M cable from the repeater to the Mac. FYI Hasselblad only supply a 4.5 metre cable as that is the published spec for firewire however I have successfully run 30M using repeaters. Lastly apparently HAsselblad sell a plastic clip gizmo that is supposed to help support the cable at the camera end of things though I have never seen it.
HTH
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:15 pm »

Quote from: Nick_T
Current generation backs are all FW800. In the past they have always been supplied with 400>800 cables as the FW800 interface wasn't that common on computers and the backs were only sending data at 400 speeds anyway. With the very latest backs firmware that has changed and you will see a significant boost in speed with an 800/800 cable. Granitedigital.com sell 10 metre (30 ft) 800/800 cables (didn't need trimming) which work very well BUT they have a ferrite bead close to the plug which puts strain on the camera socket. I dun a 30CM lightweight cable to a non-powered repeater (also from Granite) and then the 10M cable from the repeater to the Mac. FYI Hasselblad only supply a 4.5 metre cable as that is the published spec for firewire however I have successfully run 30M using repeaters. Lastly apparently HAsselblad sell a plastic clip gizmo that is supposed to help support the cable at the camera end of things though I have never seen it.
HTH
Nick-T

I have another solution which is the adapter for the CF battery (to mount the battery in a 90 degree angle from the back) with some tie-wraps to hold the cable. This will not work on the H3D. I eventually found it too much of a hassle and stuck to cheap cables  

The 10m Granite would be nice, bummer it still doesn't come with a connector angled at 90 degrees.

Nick_T

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 04:59:47 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
I have another solution which is the adapter for the CF battery (to mount the battery in a 90 degree angle from the back) with some tie-wraps to hold the cable. This will not work on the H3D. I eventually found it too much of a hassle and stuck to cheap cables  

The 10m Granite would be nice, bummer it still doesn't come with a connector angled at 90 degrees.

Anyone tried this system?

http://www.tetherlock.com/

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

photolinia

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 07:55:47 pm »

Thanks!

Does anyone have any real data rate comparisons between using 800/800 vs 800/400 cable with the H3DII?

Do all H3DII's have the same speed with firewire 800?  I thought the 50MPix was a little faster...

Also, does the regular Firewite 800 cable fit the H3DII connector without any issues?  The Hasselblad cable looks a bit different...

Thanks!
-ilya

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 08:13:57 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
You don't need a Hassy dealer to buy a firewire cable. Just get some from your local computer store or find them online. Make sure you get the 5m versions, at least those are the ones I use most. I buy mine mostly from Ebay which is a lot cheaper (cable seller based in Germany).

No you don't.

But I can't tell you the number of phone calls I've taken from someone using a POS FW cable from Best Buy which is resulting in poor/lost connections or interference in the file. There is nothing more painful to me than seeing someone lose time/reputation because they are shooting a $30k system with a $15 crap cable.

While some dealers mark up cables like that until your eyes bleed you might note that we sell FW400 to FW800 cables for $30 which we have tested with several Phase backs to several computers. We also take care to select only FW cables which have a comfortably secure physical fitting to the digital back (snug without being too big).

Remember I get the calls when something doesn't work so I am very jaded. I also have a good perspective to find out that while a given cable may work consistently for person X with back Y on computer Z that only good cables work all the time. I'm so jaded I don't even want to recommend the cables we've tested thoroughly to the OP because I haven't tested them thoroughly with Hassy backs.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 01:02:16 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
No you don't.

But I can't tell you the number of phone calls I've taken from someone using a POS FW cable from Best Buy which is resulting in poor/lost connections or interference in the file. There is nothing more painful to me than seeing someone lose time/reputation because they are shooting a $30k system with a $15 crap cable.

While some dealers mark up cables like that until your eyes bleed you might note that we sell FW400 to FW800 cables for $30 which we have tested with several Phase backs to several computers. We also take care to select only FW cables which have a comfortably secure physical fitting to the digital back (snug without being too big).

Remember I get the calls when something doesn't work so I am very jaded. I also have a good perspective to find out that while a given cable may work consistently for person X with back Y on computer Z that only good cables work all the time. I'm so jaded I don't even want to recommend the cables we've tested thoroughly to the OP because I haven't tested them thoroughly with Hassy backs.

You are absolutely right which is why I also said the firewire cable is the first thing I replace when I get strange errors. I also noticed that price of the cable is not by any means indicative for its quality.  I have had 30euro cables that went bust in 4 months, I now use 12euro cables that work and work.

I don't think the POS 15USD cable is to blame for loss of time or reputation but the photographer carrying only 1 cable without bringing at least 1 never used spare cable. Even if that were a 15USD POS cable it will get him through the session without further damage.

I have called my dealer only once in 5 years because I tend to plan ahead. Hope for the best but plan for the worst is kind of my motto. The only time I had to call my dealer was when my mirror drive went bust. I took out my spare body, finished the shoot and called first thing monday morning.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:04:49 am by Dustbak »

Dick Roadnight

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 06:27:30 am »

Thanks!

Does anyone have any real data rate comparisons between using 800/800 vs 800/400 cable with the H3DII?

Do all H3DII's have the same speed with firewire 800?  I thought the 50MPix was a little faster...

Also, does the regular Firewite 800 cable fit the H3DII connector without any issues?  The Hasselblad cable looks a bit different...

Thanks!
-ilya

I think that any answer to this question would be out of date (I hope) before you read it, as Phocus 1.2 might (promises to?) change the data rates.

Look at the first post in:
Luminous Landscape Forum > Equipment & Techniques > Digital Backs & Large Sensor Photography/Phocus 1.2
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:16:14 am by Dick Roadnight »

photolinia

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »

Thanks to everyone...

I really feel stupid, but until now I actually did not realize that the H3DII firewire connector is just a standard firewire 800 connector...
I have little experience with firewire (until now) and the cable that comes with the H3D has that bulky plastic connector...

I wonder how well the standard firewire 800 cable (without the bulky plastic piece) will sit inside the H3D back -
I also want to avoid problems by purchasing a crappy cable.

Can anyone suggest a good cable maker or the cable length I should stick to?

thanks!

Dick Roadnight

H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I think that any answer to this question would be out of date (I hope) before you read it, as Phocus 1.2 might (promises to?) change the data rates.

Look at the first post in:
Luminous Landscape Forum > Equipment & Techniques > Digital Backs & Large Sensor Photography/Phocus 1.2
Phocus 1.2 has been released since my post earlier today! ... see the Phocus 1.2 thread.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 01:46:25 am »

Thanks to everyone...

I really feel stupid, but until now I actually did not realize that the H3DII firewire connector is just a standard firewire 800 connector...
I have little experience with firewire (until now) and the cable that comes with the H3D has that bulky plastic connector...

I wonder how well the standard firewire 800 cable (without the bulky plastic piece) will sit inside the H3D back -
I also want to avoid problems by purchasing a crappy cable.

Can anyone suggest a good cable maker or the cable length I should stick to?

thanks!

Indeed the cable is just a standard FW800 cable.

Belkin are cheap and plentiful and can be found in many places.  

Granite has been discussed - some people love, some people hate.  They are very high grade, but then also comes the weight.

http://www.granitedigital.com/firewire1394...sticcables.aspx

You need the 9 to 9 pin type.

4.5m is the theoretical limit, but some users have success with a 10m cable with or without a firewire repeater/hub - also available from Granite.

I would strongly advise against any kind of FW400-800 converter.  

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
H3D Firewire 800 cable?
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 01:48:57 am »

Thanks!

Thanks!
-ilya

With Phocus 1.2 you are limiting performance more with a FW400 cable.  It depends a bit on the speed of your hard drive too.

The 50 will indeed be the fastest camera.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up