Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking an unusual location  (Read 8271 times)

adam z

Seeking an unusual location
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:53 pm »

I have recently started planning my first major personal project. I am going to combine my love of photography and fly fishing and go on a big adventure to somewhere totally out of the ordinary. The planning will be a fairly long process both because I need the time to save enough money, and because I want to have a good understanding of the opportunities that I will find once I get to wherever I decide to go. Then I will need to work out what equipment I will need to take. To get a true idea of what I am doing feel free to have a look at my blog:

http://loopsnlenses.blogspot.com/

As you can see if you look at the blog; apart from following the progress of my planning, I am writing some reviews, giving some hints, and will soon be adding interviews with some prominent photographers and fly fishers to keep it interesting. I Only started it recently, so there is not masses of stuff to read through, however it is getting updated a couple of times a week minimum from now on. If you have a look, let me know what you think. Also if you have any suggestions as to locations, please let me know.

I hope you find it interesting

Adam

EdRosch

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:08:58 am »

Hi Adam,

You didn't mention where you are now.  Ever considered learning to sea kayak?  It opens up whole new worlds both for fishing and photography.  Myself, I'd look to the higher latitudes for such an adventure, for me a couple of weeks on the West Coast of Vancouver Island would be on the list.

Ed

adam z

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:32:04 pm »

Quote from: EdRosch
Hi Adam,

You didn't mention where you are now.  Ever considered learning to sea kayak?  It opens up whole new worlds both for fishing and photography.  Myself, I'd look to the higher latitudes for such an adventure, for me a couple of weeks on the West Coast of Vancouver Island would be on the list.

Ed

I am in Australia

I will be looking all over the world before making my decision. Not sure about the sea kayaking, but will have a look at Vancouver Island - is that part of Canada?. There are certainly many thousands of options to explore and I have plenty of time to look into many of them before coming to a final decision. Thanks for your input.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:15 am »

The high mountain lakes in Bhutan have trout and an interesting story of how they got there.
David
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:52:01 am by Taquin »

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:40:37 pm »

The Lofoten Islands off northern Norway are *incredibly* scenic for photography (fjords surrounded by very pointy steep mountains), and very popular with ocean fishermen (there's a lot of cod there).  I personally know almost nothing about fishing, however, so I don't know if that's consistent with the style of fishing you're looking for.  If you want to see photos of the place, go to my web site (in my signature line) and click on "Far Northern Europe".

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

adam z

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:08:26 am »

David, the trout in Bhutan would have been great, but unfortunately there is a great series (I think filmed in the 90s) called A River Somewhere which features an episode on Bhutan. It may possibly still make my shortlist, but I guess I will wait and see what else turns up.
I realy want to almost discover a new or almost unknown fishing location. I fly fish in both fresh and saltwater for all sorts of fish, so species do not matter. In fact discovering a new species would be even better! Areas where few people visit are what I am after, with the potential for good fishing. There are numerous well known fly fishing locations that few go to due to a combination of difficulty to get to and the cost, but those that go to these places for the fishing ususally use local guides, for example, Mongolia. I am hoping that there is somewhere that perhaps there are no guides - yet.

Lisa, I will check out the Lofoten Islands, as I have never heard of them - which is a good start.

Any ideas are welcomed, so keep them coming.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:53:20 am »

Quote from: adam z
David, the trout in Bhutan would have been great, but unfortunately there is a great series (I think filmed in the 90s) called A River Somewhere which features an episode on Bhutan. It may possibly still make my shortlist, but I guess I will wait and see what else turns up.
I realy want to almost discover a new or almost unknown fishing location. I fly fish in both fresh and saltwater for all sorts of fish, so species do not matter. In fact discovering a new species would be even better! Areas where few people visit are what I am after, with the potential for good fishing. There are numerous well known fly fishing locations that few go to due to a combination of difficulty to get to and the cost, but those that go to these places for the fishing ususally use local guides, for example, Mongolia. I am hoping that there is somewhere that perhaps there are no guides - yet.

Lisa, I will check out the Lofoten Islands, as I have never heard of them - which is a good start.

Any ideas are welcomed, so keep them coming.
I'm not a fly fisherman, but it seems to me there are few locations on the planet where you can't do this. It can't be hard to pick countries where it is not well known, and if you are a good photographer you can find beauty in most places, however unlikely.
Here is part of my own list of "to photograph" places where you can also go fly fishing if you can get permission:
North Korea (wait until after they have sorted out the succession issue and you would need considerable intellectual rigour there and on your return)
The Falklands
Western (Indonesian) New Guinea
Iran
Libya
and possibly Easter Island (a lot of fishing but that's all I know).
Good luck, David

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 11:34:41 am »

Being an Aussie you may have already been to New Zealand, but if not I recommend it highly. Great fishing, both freshwater and salt, and a huge array of natural scenes to tempt the photographer.

Peter

Denis K

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:41:00 am »

On a bit less of a grand scale I have always wanted to survey the length of the Fraser River and it's tributaries in Canada's BC.

As you talk about planning the trip let me recommend that you always add in extra time in your schedule to allow for unexpected events which always seem to crop up.  I was in the Minot North Dakota airport one day and a team of serious anglers were their making a connection with a small private plane operator who was going to fly them into the Canadian north country.  Well one of the guys fishing gear didn't show up at baggage claim from his previous flight and unfortunately they had scheduled the private plane so tightly that he didn't have time to wait for his gear to show up.  He had to leave with his buddies with nothing to fish with.  What made matters worse was that where he was going he couldn't get his gear shipped up on a later flight or even buy new stuff where they were going.  I suspect he ended up fishing with a line tied onto a tree branch.

Denis K

adam z

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:29 pm »

David, I realise it is going to be quite a challenge to find somewhere that has had little attention by fishermen. A few of the places you mention are interesting - Iran, Libya and North Korea. I had already thought about Easter Island, and will be researching it further. So far most of the places that seem interesting are islands. A couple of others so far include Kruglen Island near the antarctic circle, and Socotra, in the dangerous waters between Somalia and Yemen. Just researching is fascinating enough. There are a few books available about fishing the Falklands, which is a bit of a turn off, but does not necessarily write it off the list. The Papua New Guinnea area has been covered a bit in the last few years by Col Roberts, (whom I will be interviewing for my blog in the next couple of weeks),  and some of it's jungle rivers and deep reefs are well known as fishing hotspots.

Peter, I have been to New Zealand (South Island only so far), and certainly intend returning one day. A spectacular place, just not quite unique enough for my project. I am also planning a trip to Chile and Argentina with my wife as she has family there, which will be a feast of fly fishing and photography also!

Denis K, I plan on spending at least a month on the trip, so will be sure to allow plenty of time for transfers etc, but thanks - that is a great point!

mshi

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:38:32 am »

i would consider Yangshuo, Guangxi, China. here are some previews:

(1) Longji Tiered Rice fields,

(2) Yangshuo

I have recently started planning my first major personal project. I am going to combine my love of photography and fly fishing and go on a big adventure to somewhere totally out of the ordinary. The planning will be a fairly long process both because I need the time to save enough money, and because I want to have a good understanding of the opportunities that I will find once I get to wherever I decide to go. Then I will need to work out what equipment I will need to take. To get a true idea of what I am doing feel free to have a look at my blog:

As you can see if you look at the blog; apart from following the progress of my planning, I am writing some reviews, giving some hints, and will soon be adding interviews with some prominent photographers and fly fishers to keep it interesting. I Only started it recently, so there is not masses of stuff to read through, however it is getting updated a couple of times a week minimum from now on. If you have a look, let me know what you think. Also if you have any suggestions as to locations, please let me know.

Adam

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:43:10 am by mshi »

adam z

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »

mshi

that looks like a beautiful place to take photos, however my only concern would be finding good fly fishing there. I will look into it a bit however - you never know if you don't look.

Thanks

Adam

Jim2

• http://
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:51:24 am »

take me with you (I'll pay my share of course)  I love travelling to unusual places. I won't even compete with you on the fishing. I'll photograph you with your catch with my 1ds3 how's that  I live on the Gold Coast btw

JSK

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 03:59:37 pm »

this is easy and nice too Havasu Falls

⨀ LEICA ⨀ PHASE 1 ⨀ HASSELBLAD ⨀ MAMIYA ⨀ NIKON ⨀ CANON ⨀ PROFOTO ⨀ BRONCOLOR ⨀ ARRI ⨀ BRIESE ⨀

GlenCampbell

• http://www.lightstalkersscotland.com
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 05:06:27 am »

Adam

Hi Adam

sounds like a great idea. Have you thought about the Scottish Highlands, There's some great fishing amougst some awsome scenery and it's a relatively small area so you can cover a lot of ground. Anyway may be worth a look

cheers
Glen Campbell m.photog

My website

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 06:33:04 am »

Japan has some rivers and falls that are extremely difficult to get to, but you need guidance and good mountaineering skills.

I am not sure whether people have fly fished there or not.

Cheers,
Bernard

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 08:51:56 am »

Quote from: GlenCampbell
Hi Adam

sounds like a great idea. Have you thought about the Scottish Highlands, There's some great fishing amougst some awsome scenery and it's a relatively small area so you can cover a lot of ground. Anyway may be worth a look

cheers
I'll definitely vouch for the highlands. Beautiful scenery and pretty famous for it's fishing (although I don't fish). Can be extremely cold though.

For a more exotic location I'd recommend Taiwan. It's a stunningly beautiful country, a lot friendlier than China (more beautiful as well I would argue), has a lot of fly fishing opportunities and is massively cheaper than Japan. It's also extremely famous for it's fish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up