Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: the NewLab is closed, now part of SF photo history  (Read 9238 times)

lisa_r

the NewLab is closed, now part of SF photo history
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 05:55:55 pm »

Jon, why do you say that the labs survive only because they are not also running a studio?

Also, who is the lab's "our client" if your're not?

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 07:42:05 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Jon, why do you say that the labs survive only because they are not also running a studio?

That's not quite my meaning.  What I'm saying is that in smaller markets most labs are also studios - so as a professional photographer they are your lab (if you use them) but they may also be your competition.  While that may not cause them to do anything overt, it creates a conflict of interest and my experience has been that it always leads to poor service.

Around here, the labs may not directly compete with you on skills or service (depends upon how your market yourself, differentiate your business) but they certainly try to compete on price.  They also don't tend to be very sophisticated when it comes to image use or rights.

So, while these smaller market labs may start adding services, as has happened here (e.g. large format printing for corporate clients, mounting, etc.,) I can't see them adding digital post-production for photographers as Doug described (editing, color correction, contacts, retouching, archiving) and pro's being comfortable with it.  I'll go into the "why" of that below.

Also, who is the lab's "our client" if your're not?

Labs that also have their own in-house photo studio tend to view their photo clients as their clients, not the pro photographers who come in.

There were three local labs, all touting custom professional service, when I moved here from NYC.  All three also had their own in-house photography studios (still-life, architecture, corporate, to adv. work.)  I tried each one and suffered through missed deadlines, stupid mistakes on their part which never should have passed the production person, etc. - and when confronting them would be told, "we got backed up with our own clients, sorry," or "our clients' deadlines take priority."

It was the complete opposite of the attitude of the labs in NYC.  They knew the photographers were their clients.

lisa_r

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 08:29:33 pm »

Interesting, I am in NY so I guess I am clueless as to how it works over there ;-)
Still, the more you hear about other markets (in terms of what you are discussing here, bad work-ethic assistants, models not up to snuff, etc.) the more it sounds like they do it the right way here in NY...for the most part anyway.

Instead of escaping nyc, I bought a weekend place upstate, so I can have the prime market for photography, and a plan B for when I am not shooting ;-)

Harold Clark

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10:31 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Interesting, I am in NY so I guess I am clueless as to how it works over there ;-)
Still, the more you hear about other markets (in terms of what you are discussing here, bad work-ethic assistants, models not up to snuff, etc.) the more it sounds like they do it the right way here in NY...for the most part anyway.

Instead of escaping nyc, I bought a weekend place upstate, so I can have the prime market for photography, and a plan B for when I am not shooting ;-)

That is one of the practical advantages of digital, post production can be done anywhere. I moved out with the cows 15 years ago, and now only go into Toronto for shoots, meetings etc. No trip to the lab at the end of the shoot and waiting around for the film like I used to. Post production, phone calls, organizing, book keeping are all done now from the home office. There is a  B&W darkroom in the basement with 8x10 enlarger too for when I am feeling retro.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself spending more than weekends at your country place.

lisa_r

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 08:59:34 am »

Quote from: Harold Clark
Don't be surprised if you find yourself spending more than weekends at your country place.

To be honest, I am actually already up to 3-4 days a week ;-)

Lee Harrison

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 02:10:48 am »

When I heard that the New Lab had closed, I too was looking for some way to tip my hat to the huge contribution that Sam, Gerry, Arsenio and Dave made to the photographic world. I started a compositing lab at the same time they opened their little shop on Russ Street. What a godsend - a dependable lab that would cut the standard turnaround processing time in half. Every day for 15 years they would flawlessly caress my measly 8X10 pin registered chrome through their juices knowing that I had spent all day laying down oodles of elements onto that single piece of film. Night after night, there we would be at 7:57 (allowing the 3 minutes that it took to run through FedEx's closing door around the corner). They never let me down.

After Photoshop released my need to continue darkroom compositing, my friend DanO suggested that I join the New Lab family in their duplictating department while I decided what to do next. So I did. And off and on for next dozen years, I lingered.

Oh Dano; there was always a running gibe from his countless New Lab friends - "Dano, what do you DO there?" to which he would always respond with a shoulder shrug. He was the New Lab's honorable yenta, making sure that all the right connections were being made. He now lives with his lovely wife and two kids in Portland, Oregon. (Sorry Dano, if you thought you were hiding out up there.)

So, yes, my hat is off to you New Lab. You should be very proud. - Lee Harrison
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:20:13 am by Lee Harrison »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 02:42:18 am »

Quote from: Lee Harrison
Oh Dano; there was always a running gibe from his countless New Lab friends - "Dano, what do you DO there?" to which he would always respond with a shoulder shrug. He was the New Lab's honorable yenta, making sure that all the right connections were being made. He now lives with his lovely wife and two kids in Portland, Oregon. (Sorry Dano, if you thought you were hiding out up there.)

So, yes, my hat is off to you New Lab. You should be very proud. - Lee Harrison

For three years I asked Dano, what do you do here and got the same shrug.  

Then again, whatever I needed, Dano made sure it happened so I guess we all new what Dano did.

Talking/thinking of the New Lab is not nostalgia, it's just a reminder of how well a company could be run.  Nobody had their system for marking film, nobody had the speed, ease and perfection of running unforgiving e-6 that the New Lab had.

After leaving San Francisco, every lab was a disappointment and I think I tried every lab in NY and LA.

It's also a reminder of no matter how well a company can perform, they can become redunnt almost overnight.  (ask any Chrysler, or GM dealer).

It seems something is lost in our business and I guess a lot of that is just the ability to get outside and have a reson to go somewhere, even if it's a lab.  

Anyway, those days are over and some will rejoice, others will miss them.

Personally I miss them.

JR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up