Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: the NewLab is closed, now part of SF photo history  (Read 9244 times)

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
the NewLab is closed, now part of SF photo history
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »

maybe this doesn't belong here but since a lot of pro's look here I would like to post a "thank you" to
all the past people who made the NewLab the best E6 lab in the world.  At least they were that to me...they started running film about the same time I started shooting it, thousands and thousands of square feet pushed, pulled, snipped, unmounted, and a good chunk of it rushed.  If they ever screwed up I can not remember it, we all depended on them and they came through day in and day out.  So thank you Sam, Arsenio and all the folks who made it happen.  

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:01:03 am »

Quote from: paulmoorestudio
maybe this doesn't belong here but since a lot of pro's look here I would like to post a "thank you" to
all the past people who made the NewLab the best E6 lab in the world.  At least they were that to me...they started running film about the same time I started shooting it, thousands and thousands of square feet pushed, pulled, snipped, unmounted, and a good chunk of it rushed.  If they ever screwed up I can not remember it, we all depended on them and they came through day in and day out.  So thank you Sam, Arsenio and all the folks who made it happen.

The New Lab was the best e-6 lab in the world, period.

I don't know whether to call it sad, or a passing or just a transition, though something is missing now from our industry and probably will never return, that single meeting point where photographers from around the world could bump into each other, talk, share and in a way stay connected.

I know the web is suppose to be the great connector, but nothing is better than meeting in person.

Sorry to hear it.

JR

mattlap2

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:44:56 am »

Quote from: James R Russell
The New Lab was the best e-6 lab in the world, period.

I don't know whether to call it sad, or a passing or just a transition, though something is missing now from our industry and probably will never return, that single meeting point where photographers from around the world could bump into each other, talk, share and in a way stay connected.

I know the web is suppose to be the great connector, but nothing is better than meeting in person.

Sorry to hear it.

JR

James,

Sadly this is a very true trend.   Photographers used to network thru organizations like APA or ASMP, used to meet and chat at the camera store or lab of their choice.   Even the most successful pro used to make it into the camera store 2 or 3 times a year.

Now it seems that many haven't seen the inside of a pro store in a few years.   Everything is done via assistant and without the need for film, the visits are more and more scarce.   And although they are still members, they are not nearly as active in the professional organizations as they used to be.

At least thats the way it currently is in Chicago.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:13:48 am »

I agree, it is the end of an era. I remember that Dano was the best, he always new some good assistants if you needed one.
I remember when they were still on Cleveland St, after a days shoot, while you were waiting for your snip test, you could hang out with Dano over at  the bar in Julie's supper club, other wise known as "New Lab waiting room". There was always a good group of photographers hanging out, maybe listening to some of Jim Marshals stories.
I also remember in the early nineties for a couple of years, they had one of the only independent Kodachrome lines. You could get snips and pushes and pulls just like E6 and run 120 too. It was really great until Velvia killed off the Kodachrome business. One of the Partners Dave was a real wizard with the processing. He was not as visible but a big part of the New Labs success. After the 89 Earthquake, they were able to Hand crank the film through the processing machines and did not loose a sheet.
I guess I don't miss the film so much as the people and the nice way the lab was used to stay in touch.

snickgrr

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:14:05 am »

Hear, hear.

I just got back from Monday night at the Utah.  When The New Lab was on Bryant St., the Hotel Utah was the place you went to have a beer and wait for your rushes.  Everybody went to the Utah for a beer or food until the film was up..half the Bay area shooters were there.  You know who was shooting and who wasn't...what they were shooting and with who.  You could run into out of town shooters there, the Germans shooting editorial, the Milans shooting fashion, the El Lay folks shooting cars..War stories I tell you.  You knew what assistants to stay from, what clients were pure hell.
And when DanO, the New Lab "client liaison" pulled out the company credit card you called your wife to tell her you wouldn't be home for awhile...and don't wait up.

That's what is missing in the digital age,  there is no longer a community.  You can no longer walk into the New Lab and run into a dozen friends and catch up.  No more shooting the shit with the counter folk or walking upstairs to Sam or Arsenio's office to chat.  Nothing but monitors and keyboards now

The New Lab's been closed for a couple weeks now.
RIP.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:32:33 am »

Quote from: DavidP
I guess I don't miss the film so much as the people and the nice way the lab was used to stay in touch.

I loved the labs, hated the labs, but miss the labs.

That feeling in our stomach and the dry mouth when the counter person would "slooooowly" count out your snips,  #44a, #44b, #46 .  . hold it where's 45 lets start again".

All the time you justt wanted to check exposure and focus and lived and died by those first two and 1/2 frames.

But I do miss the the closeness, or at least the brush with closeness.  Now peer to peer contact is all one on one or blogged out internationally, but nothing like pulling into A+I's parking lot and 2am on a Thursday and there wouldn't be enough room in the parking lot.

I adopted digital early and loved the freedom of getting the main idea in the can and then getting on with some alternatives.  Nothing allowed me to stretch my work like digital and nothing has eaten up more of my time, becoming the film maker, the lab, the editor, the pre press house and the retoucher/retouching art director.

I was told early on by nearly all the labs that digital will not replace film and I knew it would, just for the fact that at the end of the session I knew I had the shot.

Large sensor photography seems to be the next group in trouble during these times and like the labs, the one thing that "medium" format is missing is the same thing the labs faced . . . the ability to see the shot easily and detailed a few seconds after capture.

JR
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:46:32 am by James R Russell »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:29:20 am »

Quote from: James R Russell
I loved the labs, hated the labs, but miss the labs.

Yes...and no.

There was (even here in Chicago) a tendency to hang out at the labs and run into your competition (often the same guys the job you were waiting for bid on). But truth be told, it wasn't so much a real friendly bond as it was a desire to be civil and not give too much info away about who the rep was calling on or who you had been working with (and why YOU got that job they lost).

In all the years shooting here in Chicago, there were ALWAYS guys I could get along with and people I seriously detested being in the same room as. I don't mss those assholes, ya know?

I do think that when the new millennium kicked in, the old "Photo District" (whatever that was) ceased being....whether it was post 9-11 or the fact everybody went digital and didn't bump into each other nearly as much, I don't know. I do know there are people from the '80s and '90s I still hang with but there are a bunch of "new people" here in Chicago I've never heard of (with no real desire to meet).

I actually remember sending some film through the New Lab in SF on a location shoot that I shot in the 80's in SF...I called up APA SF and asked for the best lab in SF. New Lab...hands down winner.

Too bad I don't ever shoot film as it might have an actual impact on my work. But, alas, I shoot these things called "pixels" which, once you've bought the damn camera back, (just got a P-65+) are free, makes you wonder why we EVER enjoyed shooting FILM!!!  Push, pull, give me a friggin' break. Who in their right mind ever enjoyed the fact you couldn't know you got the shot till AFTER the film was processed?

Stress? I'll tell ya about stress...what about hand carrying Kodachrome film smuggled from Northern Ireland into "Ireland" after a two week shoot on location in Ireland for Budweiser. Processed at Ross/Elhert as Kodachrome snip tests–and paying through the nose for push and pull processing of 120MM Kodachrome? Talk about tight-sphincter time...2 1/2 weeks on location with no friggin' film tests and relying on bootleg Kodachrome from Kodak UK and damn if the stuff didn't process out as award winning ads for Budweiser...

Naw, I seriously don't miss that stress and angst...I really DON'T miss those days even thought it's it's kinda hip to miss the nostalgia of those years...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:33:50 am by Schewe »

EdRosch

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 08:44:16 am »

Quote from: snickgrr
>>>>>>>>snip <<<<<

That's what is missing in the digital age,  there is no longer a community.  You can no longer walk into the New Lab and run into a dozen friends and catch up.  No more shooting the shit with the counter folk or walking upstairs to Sam or Arsenio's office to chat.  Nothing but monitors and keyboards now

The New Lab's been closed for a couple weeks now.
RIP.

At the risk of pointing out the blindingly obvious, we have people from all over the world 'here' sharing their reminiscences of the place, most of whom would never have had a chance to actually meet.  Probably not as good as sharing a beer, but better than the alternative, which for me sitting in SE Michigan, would be na da.  I do interact with other photographers in person when I can, and I certainly would love the chance to sit down with Michael, Jeff, Andrew, and most of you'all over pizza and beer, but in what we laughingly call 'TheRealWorld' that just isn't going to happen.  

I would also mention that I resonated with Mr. Schewe's comments, I too have similar memories of dealing with other professional photographers back in 'the day', and also found the detestablilty quotient to be high.  I have also noticed that the online communities, especially this one,  seem generally nicer, more supportive, and I have certainly learned more from than any of the F2F ones I've interacted with up to this point, although I have some hopes for the PhotoStock event I'll be attending later this month.

Ed

paulmoorestudio

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 09:44:58 am »

I love that.."once you buy the camera back, its free"..I wish it was that simple.  Sure there are real and obvious benefits to shooting digital, and I myself would not go back to film, having said that I want to own up to the hassle and hidden expenses of using a digital work flow, without the lab.  Come on, you have to admit that there was no better feeling than getting the film back on the light table and seeing that yes you did have a sheet or frame that nailed it.  The whole film process demanded that I get it right and made me a better photographer.  Yes it may take 10 minutes to play around with a flag to make sure your foreground falls off to the right value, but you had to decide and commit to what you felt was the right amount.. no layer mask, or blending, turning on and off while you sip your coffee..you had clients and talent waiting..yes it was more stressful, the whole process, but I can't help feel it was more honest and real..I will not say better, nor would I say that digital is better.
The biggest drawback to me in a digital world is the lack of a creative gestation period, whether it is between the pre-light day and running test film or having lunch with the ad while the test film is run or even having 1.5 minutes of silence while waiting for the polaroid..I always made big improvements after I sat on it, lived with it, had a chance to breathe... we no longer have that luxury, not at 10-20 shots a day.. no amount of photoshop can fix "spray and pray" shooting.

As primarily a still life guy I was not the party animal at Julie's or the Utah as some of my fellow sf shooters.. but I knew they were there if I wanted to do more..there was a connection via the lab to others.. they were the glue that helped hold the local apa chapter tight..I think the general good feeling that photographers held for each other was the common use of the newlab and how the newlab was run.. you did not see this at other established labs before the newlab became dominant.  I have long felt that film was dead but with the newlab closing it is like being a pallbearer for an old friend..it is tangible and heartfelt.  The lab was part of my daily process part of my life.. and like most things you are around daily, we take them for granted, until they are gone.
I don't think I will feel the same when my current back dies.

amsp

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:17:06 am »

The biggest drawback to me in a digital world is the lack of a creative gestation period, whether it is between the pre-light day and running test film or having lunch with the ad while the test film is run or even having 1.5 minutes of silence while waiting for the polaroid..I always made big improvements after I sat on it, lived with it, had a chance to breathe... we no longer have that luxury, not at 10-20 shots a day.. no amount of photoshop can fix "spray and pray" shooting.

I couldn't agree more. I love digital and wouldn't want to go back to film, but I DO think we as a business have accepted too many changes to the way we work with the advent of digital. Because of it we are now expected to deliver more, faster and for less $$$. We are also asked more and more often it seems to shoulder the responsibility of other roles as well, everything from Art Director and Stylist to Retoucher.. and naturally the client doesn't want to pay extra. And it seems everything is suffering because of this way of working, quality, creativity, our economy and mental/physical state. Sure, you can say "just don't accept those conditions", unfortunately this more often than not will just lead to the client choosing someone who will, EVEN if quality takes a dramatic nosedive. I dunno, maybe I'm just ranting, but in many ways things are starting to get kinda ridiculous IMO.

gwhitf

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:00 am »

Personally, I have been amazed that more labs have not adapted to The New Reality, and found a way to stay in business. For years now, I have talked to the owner of the lab in my town, dropping little hints of things they might offer. I shot some film recently, and went to the lab, and you could hear a pin drop -- it was like a Ghost Town in there. I agree, sad. But was there no way to adapt and stay alive?

I never understood why the labs did not migrate into maybe large Epson prints, (if you didn't want a 9880 in your bedroom). Or why did they not migrate into a mild pre-press source, where you could go there and have a CMYK proof pulled? Why did they not invest in Macs and Backs, and begin to send out Digital Techs on jobs? If they made the money on "film and processing" in the old days, why not continue to make it in Digi Tech form, in modern times? Why not offer profiling services, where they'd send some guy to your house/office to profile your printer or monitor? Why not offer classes on getting up to speed in digital? Why not hire Retouchers, so that the photographers stay in contact and keep coming there?

So many questions, so few answers. Maybe they couldn't make the leap. Maybe the mindset was just too different. I just never understood it. Yet, they continue to close their doors every day, and I'm sure mine will too, soon.

lisa_r

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 10:29:03 am »

gwhitf, what were your suggestions to the labs?

gwhitf

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:39 am »

Quote from: lisa_r
gwhitf, what were your suggestions to the labs?

I just never understood why they couldn't make the transition -- if they learned the intracacies of running a Refrema line, with all its complications, why could they not learn Color Management? If they were "the source for accurate color" in E-6 Times, why could they not continue to the "the source for accurate color" in Digital Times?

The violins are playing, but I don't have a lot of sympathy. I'm sorry. Just like us Losers -- if we learned all this mess, why couldn't they?

lisa_r

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:21:02 am »

I guess what I am getting at is, if they were in business doing things digital, what specifically would you actually use/pay them to do for you?

I can't think of much that I would actually want done by a "lab" at this point. Archiving and cataloging maybe...

paulmoorestudio

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
I just never understood why they couldn't make the transition -- if they learned the intracacies of running a Refrema line, with all its complications, why could they not learn Color Management? If they were "the source for accurate color" in E-6 Times, why could they not continue to the "the source for accurate color" in Digital Times?

The violins are playing, but I don't have a lot of sympathy. I'm sorry. Just like us Losers -- if we learned all this mess, why couldn't they?

I don't know about other labs but the NewLab started transitioning into digital from the beginning..early on they provided scans, had a full digital dept. but I like most shooters did not have that much use for that..at least not as much..and once I bought a back that was it..my cubbybox with my name on it was empty at the lab..I was not going to take a cd of raws to the lab and have them color correct and retouch as needed..that was just not going to work.
I needed to process my raw shots as good and fast as the newlab had done, that meant taking it inhouse..  The existing color print labs had been evolving to digital printing so if you needed a big print you would have them still do it, but how many big prints do you really need? that is a tiny part of my business.   I don't see the e6 labs having much room to grow or evolve into the digital world.. so I guess I do feel a bit sorry about being a part of their demise.

bcooter

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 11:46:30 am »

Personally, I have been amazed that more labs have not adapted to The New Reality, and found a way to stay in business. For years now, I have talked to the owner of the lab in my town, dropping little hints of things they might offer. I shot some film recently, and went to the lab, and you could hear a pin drop -- it was like a Ghost Town in there. I agree, sad. But was there no way to adapt and stay alive?

I never understood why the labs did not migrate into maybe large Epson prints, (if you didn't want a 9880 in your bedroom). Or why did they not migrate into a mild pre-press source, where you could go there and have a CMYK proof pulled? Why did they not invest in Macs and Backs, and begin to send out Digital Techs on jobs? If they made the money on "film and processing" in the old days, why not continue to make it in Digi

Some made the transition, some tried, most failed.

One in LA that is still in business made the move, but struggles, most of the rest have gone.  They just couldn't adapt to the new business model  Yes, the went from refremas, to G5 towers, but wanted $10 a contact sheet.

$10 doesn't work anymore when you can drop 400 jpegs in lightroom, load costco glossy stock and print 400 contact sheets on an epson 4000 for 75 cents a print

They did things the big way, not the smart way.  Instead of $200 firewire drives they stuff in a closet they put in fiber optics, $15,000 color calibration devices,  dedicated servers and $90,000 a year IT guys, digital trailers with a crew of three and the prices reflected that, in fact the prices were much higher than the film days.

What they didn't invest is was learning the different films (cameras). in different situations.  They don't know that a Leaf shoots different than a Nikon, than a Canon, than a Phase than a Hasselblad.

If it processed in photoshop the labs could do it, as long as it was 10 or 20 images, but hand over 2,000 and say uh, you know make them kind of warm like we use to do with NC100 and they just look at you like your nuts, or estimate the job out at processed film prices.

Early on the labs, traditional and new digital, would call me and say "Mister Pookie-Siminonie Pizzadori just shot digital for Elsiethefashioncow magazine with our new Pees99digital camera and we put it into our new system we call sparrow.  (The names have been changed to protect the guilty).  It was fabulous and we did the whole package for $3,000 a day."    

I'd say ok, what if I have 2,000 files instead of 200 like Pookie shot and they'd say 'uh, well, uh that will be tens of thousands', so I just went on my way.

But the main reason they labs are gone is they were too late  They did a head in the sand, and by the time their customers had moved to digital the customer knew more about processing the images than the lab.

I don't know about most people but I can't work a Refrema, but I sure can work RD, LR, C1, LC11, DPP, CS4, NIK, etc. etc.  I have drives that don't costs $4,000 and don't require an IT guy (I guess I'm the IT guy) and I can load up two epson printers and bang out prints.     So can most photographers that learned digital.

The new bottom line is for web gallery ad contact sheet processing, the Canon and Nikon cameras bang out jpegs as well as any lab.  Think about that one for a moment.

And if you want to tweak them, just throw them in LR and hit clarity, move a few sliders thousand of jpegs (unlike raw files) will adjust in about 45 seconds.  3 hours of my time, or $5,000 to a lab . . . I'll spend the 3 hours.

Now processing and retouching to finish is a different animal and most of us use raw files, but honest to god, shoot a Canon 1ds3 on Raw and high jpeg, work both in photoshop with retouching and I don't know anyone that can tell the difference.

The labs were too late and no matter what anyone says, of believes, if the "larger than smaller digital sensor" camera companies don't come up with a way to make their cameras as effecient to use as a Canon or Nikon (not just in shooting, but in post production), they'll be too late also.

You can't charge twice as much and make your customer work twice as hard.

The bottom line is the labs (like photographers) didn't see the new realty coming.   You can't be a one trick pony and charge 4 times what a customer can bill to their client.

B
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:07:17 pm by bcooter »

bcooter

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 12:24:58 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Too bad I don't ever shoot film as it might have an actual impact on my work. But, alas, I shoot these things called "pixels" which, once you've bought the damn camera back, (just got a P-65+) are free, makes you wonder why we EVER enjoyed shooting FILM!!!

Jeff,

I know you enjoy a good argument, so I'm probably stepping into the flame, but I'd like to know how buying a $40,000 camera back, $10,000 camera system (plus some kind of backup) is cheaper than film

I don't know what you shoot, or to what volume, but we're spending thousands a month on hard drives, software/updates, paper, ink, server costs for web galleries and ftp transfers, G modems, calibration devices two dsl lines per studio, multiple computers, monitors, laptops, and portable drives.

Prior to digital my camera and lenses were a 10 year buy in and cost probably 25% of what I've spent on digital cameras.  Film and processing didn't cost me a dime, until I was booked and then it was a across the board profit item.

My partner has run the numbers forever and I can promise you professional digital over a 7 year period is nearly twice the cost of professional film photography.

I will agree that the angst of shooting is much easier with digital but the back end is much more intense and labor consuming with digital.  I haven't had 4 days go by in the last 6 or so years where a client hasn't asked for an updated web gallery, a retouched image, a new version of multiple images comped together, usually expecting this on a one day turnaround.

Now that we're in the new economy, I have requests for images dating back to 2003.  Sure, I make a profit off of reuse, but nothing like I do when we shoot.  Nobody in the film days went back and rescanned 6 year old film, probably because nobody could find it.

B

gwhitf

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
I guess what I am getting at is, if they were in business doing things digital, what specifically would you actually use/pay them to do for you?

I'm not saying the transition would not be a tough nut, but it's better than belly up.

I think they'd have to widen their focus, from photographer-only, to community-wide, and especially corporate-wide, or even better, medical-wide.

There was a time, (and still is, to a degree), where everyone had one of these digital cameras, but no one knew how to get the most out of it. If the labs had hired a couple of Tech Heads who knew what they were doing, "the lab" would have continued to be thought of as the CENTER of the community -- the hub. But they did not. All they did was hunker down, and ride the Titanic down, thinking it all might go away.

They could have merged with a grip house, or merged with a photographer with a studio. They could have provided "one stop shopping". Think back to 1990 and think how many photographers had their own studios, compared to now. The labs could have provided the space to shoot, made money on the Profoto and Grip rentals, and the Tech too. And archiving to boot. Few people could afford to maintain a place like a Pier 59, day in and day out, but if there was a nice space like that, for rent in most every major city, clients would eat it up.

For every dorky Big Cooter, who's willing to take the time to learn LR/C1/PS/IV/LC11/CR, there are a dozen photographers that have zero interest or desire -- they want to shoot the job, hand off the files and go home to their wife and kids, (or better yet, shoot another job tomorrow, instead of processing files). And let's not compare the difference in income between processing files and shooting a job. I just think there was an opportunity there, and it was missed by most every lab in the country. And especially by labs in midsize cities like SF, Dallas, StLouis, Nashville, Atlanta, Denver, SanDiego, etc, where there are not a whole slew of choices in suppliers/vendors.

I look back at what I've spent on Digital Everything, and it just makes you wonder if, in the end, it wouldn't have just been better to rent EVERYTHING, bill it, and walk away at the end of the day. Massive massive depreciation on all this stuff. Wait til you're the first guy to sell a P65+ second-hand; it's going to redefine the term "taking a bath". I'd venture to say that the very moment that you drive it out of the showroom, it's worth 50% the very next day.

I think a successful modern lab would have to be part Kinkos; part Grip Rental; part PrePress House; part Digital Tech supplier; part Archiver; part Studio Rental.

If Modern Postcard can make a profit, why can't a lab do that? If Kinkos can make a profit, why can't a lab do that? If TREC can make a profit, why can't a lab do that? I'd have a big-ass warehouse in an Industrial Park, and it would have four or five doors all around the building: Grip Rental; Studio Rental; Display Prints and PrePress; Cafe and Bar; Camera/DigiBack Sales. The goal is to stay firmly rooted in people's minds as THE CENTER OF ACTIVITY.

What do you think of now when you think "the center of activity"? Answer: B&H, and The Apple Store.

Right now in my city, there's a pro camera store that's limping along on life support; there's a Grip House with a mostly empty parking lot every day; there's an E6 Lab that is truly on life support; there are various studio rentals with slashed rates; there are offset printers with glazed looks on their faces, wondering where all the Purchase Orders went. Who knows, maybe it's not possible, but it seems like "specialization" might not be such a good idea any more. There's got to be crossover. Or, maybe the Internet has just changed everything, and everyone is just FTP'ing their files back and forth from their little bitty Canon 5DII's, and there's simply not enough money in this segment to support all these people any more.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:30:45 pm by gwhitf »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:41 pm »

That's an interesting point.

The lab that our Miami Location works closely with is The Color House Miami and it is thriving, maybe even more than it was in the film days. They transitioned successfully to doing large format Lightjet/Inkjet prints and speciality mounting (e.g. plexi facemount and aluminum rearmounting) as well as being the "back-end" for many of their customers digital operations. They have many photographers who drop off cards at the end of a shoot and have them do basic color correction / retouching and then make printed contact sheets so that their workflow has not changed much since the film days.

This from a lab which built it's reputation in the E-6 with an insanely knowledgeable/talented "technician" (actually part owner but supervised the processing himself) David Ramchel who could push/pull/clip and adjust white balance by chemistry with the best of them.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 03:08:14 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
The lab that our Miami Location works closely with is The Color House Miami and it is thriving, maybe even more than it was in the film days. They transitioned successfully to doing large format Lightjet/Inkjet prints and speciality mounting (e.g. plexi facemount and aluminum rearmounting) as well as being the "back-end" for many of their customers digital operations.

I'd guess too that a reason they are thriving, in addition to providing great service, is that they haven't crossed the line to where they are a photo studio as well.

In smaller markets, I'm in central NJ, most labs are also photo studios.  It creates an odd mix of conflicting services and priorities that, film or digital, has never worked.  The local labs still remaining moved in the direction of the Color House in terms of some services long ago, but they could never generate enough good will amongst pro's to become their go-to-place for digital tech. or similar services.  It's been too many years of treating the professional photographers in the area as if they are not the lab's clients.

In that sense, at least in a smaller market, digital is a godsend.  I miss my interaction with the lab I used for years in NYC but I have no sympathy for the local labs which tout their professional services and then miss deadlines, can't follow instructions, or have poor quality control because, in their words, "we were busy with our clients' deadlines."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up