Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D2 manual video control is now here!  (Read 6614 times)

lisa_r

5D2 manual video control is now here!
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:46 pm »

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eo...tonName=I+Agree

It really makes a huge difference in terms of usability. The difference is night and day.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:51:50 pm by lisa_r »

mikekobal

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:39 pm »

thank you! downloaded and installed. now we have a real camera!

lisa_r

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:14:32 am »

Mike, were you using the D90 only because it has manual controls - or because you can use lenses with Aperture rings? (I've never used it, so I have no idea how it works.)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:00:06 pm »

I would love to hear a full report on the firmware update and the new usability of the 5Dii.

BTW I have added the dwnld link to my web article as an update - thanks to your link above!

mikekobal

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:31:07 pm »

Lisa, I did not get the D90 for video, just happened to discover it. but yeah, aperture priority and manual aperture selection was a plus (before the canon firmware upgrade). there is no point comparing the 5dmk2 with the d90 esp now, the 5dmk2 is far superior. I also like the way the canon handles still grabs at full sensor resolution during active movie mode, unlike the d90 it does not slap the mirror back down and up again, just the shutter gets activated...Chris, I did a short clip and it is awesome, just put the camera in M mode, the shutterspeed and aperture appear at the bottom of the live view, you can also select the iso, use the lcd screen to judge exposure and shoot. what a relief. don't forget to put the lcd preferences to movie mode otherwise manual mode does not work...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:33:51 pm by mikekobal »

lisa_r

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:01:03 pm »

I went and shot some video clips in lower manhattan today, and it's now a LOT nicer to use for sure. Makes more sense not from the standpoint of someone who is used to controlling their camera ;-)

I think this upgrade easily ads $500 worth of value to the camera - though it obviously should have been there in the first place! I am glad I am not one of the people who went around buying up old Nikkors and such to use on it. I was using the new Sigma 50mm 1.4 wide open - which has really great manual focus feel (as opposed to the MF on the Canon AF lenses...) and it worked great.

By the way Mike, you using Final Cut to edit that stuff? I am trying to decide between FCP and Premiere CS4 which I have heard is very good.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:22:19 pm by lisa_r »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
By the way Mike, you using Final Cut to edit that stuff? I am trying to decide between FCP and Premiere CS4 which I have heard is very good.
If you are using a PC, consider Vegas, much better than Premiere and very easy to use despite being very powerful. I gave a Producer friend a demo version to try a few years back and he was very familiar with Premiere. He said that even with installing and learning Vegas from scratch the job he tested it on took half the time in Vegas compared to Premiere.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up