Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squirrel on Fencepost  (Read 2553 times)

dalethorn

Squirrel on Fencepost
« on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:07 pm »

I wasn't sure if I wanted to crop off the fencepost on the right - I'm about 50/50 on that, but anyway it's a no-effort crop if I do.

Panasonic G1, 45-200 at max. zoom, daylight auto-exp., ISO 80.  BTW, they make white balance a little easier to get to on the G1 than some cameras, but more often I'm finding I can get something close just by toggling the mode dial to intelligent auto.  I'd gladly trade the little focus selection dial on the left for a WB dial.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Squirrel on Fencepost
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:42:58 am »

Hi Dale

You did well to get him before he ran off!  Normally I would not dream of messing around with someone else's picture, but it seems to be accepted in this
section to make constructive comments along with suggested changes.  I think the attached crop works better for me.

[attachment=14256:Squirl28.jpg]

What do you think?  Also, the picture is a little unsharp.  Although the image stabiliser is good, at maximum zoom it might be better to up the shutter speed a bit,
even if that means using a higher ISO.  And I see that you used ISO 80.

Jim

dalethorn

Squirrel on Fencepost
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:13:49 am »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
Hi Dale
You did well to get him before he ran off!  Normally I would not dream of messing around with someone else's picture, but it seems to be accepted in this
section to make constructive comments along with suggested changes.  I think the attached crop works better for me.
What do you think?  Also, the picture is a little unsharp.  Although the image stabiliser is good, at maximum zoom it might be better to up the shutter speed a bit,
even if that means using a higher ISO.  And I see that you used ISO 80.
Jim

Yes, this crop works well.  I sometimes think one perspective would work well in a particular room type or hallway, and another would work better somewhere else.  It would be really interesting if photographers in their exhibitions would display alternate crops of certain images.  Most people are probably reluctant to do that.

The sharpness comment is appreciated.  I'm still in the process of getting used to the G1 and the 45-200 lens.  While this lens is definitely sharper at the corners at full zoom than the "Leica" lens on the ZS3 camera, the overall effect still seems soft, and other people have noted that here.  I didn't see that noted in any of the reviews, however.  I might start using shutter priority more often for these handheld shots.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Squirrel on Fencepost
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »

I recently bought a G1 and it can work really well if you get the exposure right.  I also shoot in raw to get the best out of the files.  Here is a picture taken recently with the 45-200 lens
at 100mm, ISO 100.

[attachment=14259:Sara_080.jpg]

dalethorn

Squirrel on Fencepost
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
I recently bought a G1 and it can work really well if you get the exposure right.  I also shoot in raw to get the best out of the files.  Here is a picture taken recently with the 45-200 lens
at 100mm, ISO 100.

A well-done portrait. Portraits aren't that easy, getting the right sharpness while maintaining the proper skin texture.  I know this is going to be a dumb thing to say, but I think I did better on average with the Leica M6 and film.  It could be I'm too focused on white balance or other color issues to get the exposure just right.  And then there's RAW.  I have about 90 images in the inbox right now, and finding time to work on them is a challenge.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Squirrel on Fencepost
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:51:28 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
A well-done portrait. Portraits aren't that easy, getting the right sharpness while maintaining the proper skin texture.  I know this is going to be a dumb thing to say, but I think I did better on average with the Leica M6 and film.  It could be I'm too focused on white balance or other color issues to get the exposure just right.  And then there's RAW.  I have about 90 images in the inbox right now, and finding time to work on them is a challenge.
If you use raw, you can forget about white balance until you get home. Fewer things to worry about when you're shooting is a good idea.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up