Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generic compensation settings when printing with Blurb ?  (Read 1412 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Generic compensation settings when printing with Blurb ?
« on: May 31, 2009, 05:18:30 pm »

I realise that the optimum solution is to individually correct each image under a soft proof view, but has anyone found a simple set of starter values that generally work well ? I've got a lot of images to process in a hurry in the next couple of days.

For example; Using the correct printer profile(HP Indigo) for Blurb's printers, a gentle 'S' curve correction plus a +25 Vibrance setting seems to be getting close to compensating for the printer when soft proofing.

Anyone want to share some thoughts or experience on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:42:44 am »

I use an action that creates 4 layers -

Color Balance
Hue/Saturation
Levels 1
Levels 2

The action also includes 2 Luminosity Masks on the two levels layers, Levels 1 will have a mask for the shadows, and the adjustment darkens these in the image, Levels 2 will have a mask for the upper third of the bright tones in the image, and the adjustment brightens these slightly. I add +6 saturation with the Hue/Sat layer, and add Cyan, Yellow and Blue with the color balance layer.

This is just a base to start with however, and I adjust each image individually before importing it into a custom template, adding text and flattening to a finished image of the correct dimensions ready to import into Booksmart. Most of the time all that is needed is a slight change to one of the levels layers and a slight change to the color balance depending on the image. You can then switch quickly between original image with proof view off, then image with adjustments and proof view on to compare your changes in tone and color. The most common problem that needs correcting I find is an image with lots of warm tones, or an image with lots of greens or blues.

I have only just completed all the work for my first book, so haven't got a printed version back yet to test how accurate my proofing is. I suggest using the B3 program they have, as this provides a more recent color profile to proof with than the HP Indigo one available, although it does cost slightly more to print using B3.

My book will hit the printers this week, so I will post back with the results sometime soon...

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:14:03 pm »

Thanks Lightbox

That sounds quite a sophisticated workflow. The figures you mention actually give a similar looking base correction to my more basic approach.
I appreciate that individual assessment is to be preferred when possible, but with several hundred images to process in about 24hrs now, a simple recipe that can be automated in PS is all that I've time on this occasion.

My first trial book on premium paper gave pretty good results without any compensation at all for the soft proof, but I'd like to move on to an even better standard of matching. This time the creation method will be different and the B3 program is not an option. Also it will only be published on standard paper, possibly not on the same presses either, so some of what I learnt with my first book may not be of much use this time.

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up