Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent or Non Recent Professional Works  (Read 248524 times)

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Recent or Non Recent Professional Works
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:19:28 pm »

Quote from: bart alexander
Wow James,

I would have sworn the first shot was done with the Phase,
Kind regards,
Bart

Bart,

Thank you.

I like talking about photography  . . . sometimes, I even like talking about cameras . . . sometimes.

One of the reasons I started this thread was to get away from the pixel counting, ca, dr, 4:3, 2:3 type of talk that never seems to go anywhere.

Photography is just about the photograph, not a lot more and if the viewer likes it it works if they don't, it doesn't.

I'm not brand specific, but I do like the Canons, mostly because I like the color.

I usually have a way of working that I try not to over light or better put impose a specific lighting style to the photograph.  Sometimes that's impossible to do with commerce, or working in studio, because in studio there isn't much to do other than direct the subject and light it.

Location, I like to find what is there and just make that work, so I only use additional light because I need it to make it work.

In other words I don't want someone to think, wow he must have used a gilflop 1280 with a big moola 44" beauty dish, with the special, silk cut, hand woven diffuser.

I shot this with the 1ds3, the 50mm 1.2 at around f 2 point, something, about 1/60th, 800 iso. (I think).

[attachment=14209:JamesRus...juke_box.jpg]

This shot was there.  I saw it, ask the model to move over a little, and then just added a flex fill behind my head (basically because I'm pressed against a wall in a small room.  

I might have used a fraction of tungsten bounced, probably off a cealing, but just a tiny, tiny fraction, and just enough so the face wouldn't go to hard lost shadows, though in reality the key light is the juke box and a very dim window light behind the model and to the left of the juke box.

This shoot was in Mid May after we shot a commercial gig in our Dallas studio.  I had crew in so I held them over for another day and we shot this series, three locations in about 5 hours.  The crew wasn't huge, had three assistants, stylist, prop stylist and makeup artist and could have had less help, except I had one person ahead of us moving equipment into the next shot.

It was editorial, we had a letter of intent, but in the world of editorial nobody knows anymore if anything will run, so in reality t it was for us, actually every photograph should be for us.    around

This is what all of us love.  No pressures of client committees, or fitting anything to a preconceived idea.   Just shoot and have fun.  The last location was this bar, a funky place called Lee Harvey's in Dallas, they allow dogs, everybody is having a great time, people come over when you shoot, look at the images in the computer, laugh, drink, make comments, after we shoot, everyone keep on partying, even back to our studio until 3 am.

We had a discussion earlier of working in different places in the world and I could have shot this in a lot of places, but I love working in Dallas.  No hassels of permits, nobody requiring 22 letters of intent, and 12 insurance bonds.  People say uh sure, just pay the bar tab.

JR

P.S   The 50mm I have is kind of screwed up looking.  I got the front of the lenshade caught on a piece of foam core in Korea and it pulled the front retaining ring off

Now it kind of moves around a little but it works fine and now looks like a pancake lens with a silver ring on the front.  I thought about sending it in, but I like the way it looks and it works so I just leave it alone

I guess eventually all the elements will fall to the floor, but until then it's kind of cool looking.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:42:53 pm by James R Russell »

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 02:23:27 pm »

I must say I am really pleased James Russell started this thread. so first let me say to James Thank You and next let me say that I am forever amazed at his work! The thread work posted at Medium Format Digital has been one of the best ever at any forum. But I too found it limited because it is about the photo although I find the technical side behind the photos fascinating and of course greatly instructive. For me it has ben invaluable, as I have never assisted or taken a course or anything of the like. I jumped in some years back and made my way. When I get the chance to attend seminars or workshops I have. And when I get lucky enough to hang out on friends shoot I do.

But back to this thread. I shoot medium format film, digital and 35mm film and digital. I even break out the Polaroid now and then. I like it all. So along with my niche in bodybuilding and fitness, it really makes me the odd guy. So anyway here is one from my part of the photo world. A gym shoot, which is typical for me, destined for a cover, double spread and additional photos in one of the bodybuilding magazines. Photographed with a Canon 5D, 24-70L lens and on camera flash with the Canon 580.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:25:18 pm by SecondFocus »
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

bart alexander

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 04:43:11 am »

Quote from: James R Russell
Bart,

P.S   The 50mm I have is kind of screwed up looking.  I got the front of the lenshade caught on a piece of foam core in Korea and it pulled the front retaining ring off

Now looks like a pancake lens with a silver ring on the front.[/size]  So. now you've discovered Canon lenses are nothing more than Zeiss lenses with a cover  

Thanks James, for the great reply.

NBP

• http://
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 05:15:34 am »

Quote from: SecondFocus
I must say I am really pleased James Russell started this thread.

Seconded.

2 recent personal snaps:

Leaf A65s/RZ67
[attachment=14233:Varkala_...h_Print1.jpg]

Panasonic LX3
[attachment=14234:surjel.jpg]

CaptainHook

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 07:03:01 am »

James, your work and others here is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Recent shoot, 5DmkII.

achrisproduction

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »

Quote from: CaptainHook
James, your work and others here is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Recent shoot, 5DmkII.

I love all of them, good job mate.  

Marrtin Hopfengart

• http://www.hopfengart.de
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 04:28:26 pm »

[attachment=14241:DSC_9512b.jpg]
Saxophonist/Bandleader Stephan-Max Wirth on location tour in Berlin.
Nikon D70 built in Flash. 24mm f2,8 1/4 s.

Thanks
Martin

Harold Clark

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 04:43:23 pm »

Leonardo DaVinci in his workshop designing some optical equipment.

Adrian Roy

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »

Interesting thread with some diverse images being shown.

The following car pictures were taken with a Mamiya 7 & 43mm @ F8 shot on Kodak VPL and cross processed. The locations were Oaxaca Mexico & NYC

[attachment=14243:bluecar_mexico.jpg]

[attachment=14244:bluecar_...l_a3_web.jpg]

The people images were taken on a Mamiya RZ 110mm @ F8 shot on Kodak Portra 160 unretouched additional lighting elinchrom ranger.

[attachment=14245:castle_b...irl_1_LL.jpg]

[attachment=14246:castle_b...girl_2LL.jpg]

Adrian

CaptainHook

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 05:10:37 pm »

Quote from: Adrian Roy
The people images were taken on a Mamiya RZ 110mm @ F8 shot on Kodak Portra 160 unretouched additional lighting elinchrom ranger.

I likey. How did you scan these?

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 08:01:29 pm »

Quote from: Harold Clark
Leonardo DaVinci in his workshop designing some optical equipment.
Hey Harold
are you from Toronto?

r

Harold Clark

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 09:31:09 pm »

Quote from: rcdurston
Hey Harold
are you from Toronto?

r

Yes indeed, what are you up to in Ireland?

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:14 pm »

This was an out-take from a shoot I did for New Zealand Fitness Magazine. I really intentionally photographed this frame with this perspective because I thought it was fun. It shows one of my typical setups, an outdoor studio against a seamless and strobed. The model is professional bodybuilder Moe Moussawi, one of the top ten pro bodybuilders in the world. Canon 5D and 24-70L 2.8. Profoto Acute 2400R with two heads.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:46:10 pm by SecondFocus »
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 02:20:32 pm »

CaptainHook, love the retro-look, excellent post and great atmosphere!

Here one from last weekend, Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam shortly after sunset. I went all out with the bracketing: 1 sec, 2.5, 5, 10 (ETTR), and 80. I ended up throwing 2.5 out as that was not needed. I have found these kinds of shots require three brackets: one for the extreme highlights, one with ETTR (excluding said hilights), and one to reduce noise in shadows, 4 or so stops longer than ETTR.

Canon 450D, Canon 24-105mm IS @ 56mm (35mm equivalent), f/5.6, ISO 100. I ended with a 4x2 frame pano bracketed four times, put together in Autopano, resulting three shots (one thrown out) fused together in Tufuse. Flags shot separately at full zoom and high ISO to freeze them a bit. Final post in PS, nothing drastic. There still a bit more noise than I would've liked, I got better results with the Hong Kong panos - don't know why that is.

You can view the full 161 megapixel pano here. Looking at full magnification now it looks like I went a bit overboard with sharpening, will have to tone it down a bit when I have some time.

As a sidenote, I recently bought the full version of Zoomify since it enables fullscreen viewing, and it's now my preferred way to look at large panos.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 05:02:23 pm »

Thanks for starting this thread James, I like to talk about and view photography as well.

A few weeks back I spend the best part of the week visiting with family in Denver.  I had the good fortune to stay wih my brother and his wife, as their house is akin to living in a gallery.  My sister-in-law is the granddaughter of Edward Weston, daughter of Cole.  Gracing their wonderful home are numerous prints by the Westons, and a few Peter Stackpoles.  Its really quite nice to live among these prints for days, absorbing the rich textures and unbelievable printmaking. Quite humbling.

I had a day to myself, with a rental car, my wifes lowly 450d and a 24-105 lens.  It was not suprising to find myself drawn towards textures and the rich tonality of B/W (ok..I left a few in color:). All told a fitting end to the trip
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:04:25 pm by infocusinc »
Craig Lamson Photo

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 05:23:08 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:50:22 pm by Rob C »

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »

Here are some I did for a company that maintains and refinishes stone, wood, and metal surfaces in high end buildings.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:05:49 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »

Greets,

Thanks for the topic start James!
I work for a couple of weekly papers in the Central Coast of California and this particular image has stuck with me ever since I shot it even though it was never published. The paper has a few special editions each year and in this particular issue we were featuring images of people who actually make things with their hands as segue pages into the various sections of the edition.
This man is J.R. Jennings, he has lived in the Arroyo Grande area for all of his 70 some odd years and for 51 of those years he was a farrier. In his garage he still had his original coal fired, open forge and his original anvil. After we had shot the needed images for the paper, I just directed him to stand with his anvil, his hammer, and a horse shoe - really no direction at all and out came this image.
I regret I did not notice the softbox light in his glasses, but I still think he is one of the most magnificent faces I have ever shot.

1DMark3 - Medium softbox right with AB1600 - silver 6 foot calumet reflector on the right.

Cheers,

*steve
semillerimages.com

Jerry Clement

• http://www.jerryclement.ca
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:19 am »

Very interesting thread and some very fine photography.  

I met my new friend Jim while dumping off bottles at a bottle depot in Calgary one morning this past winter. I noticed him waiting for the bottle depot to open and struck up a conversation with him. I asked him if I could photograph him and this photo is one of a number of photos that I came away with.

[attachment=14365:IMG_9484_3.JPG]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:42:05 pm by Jerry Clement »

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 10:17:11 am »

James

For what it´s worth, my first impression on looking at your model pix was Leica M8, not Canon. I don´t pretend to be an expert on either- just a gut reaction is all.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up