Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent or Non Recent Professional Works  (Read 248534 times)

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
Recent or Non Recent Professional Works
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2009, 11:08:31 am »

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:59:19 am by witz »

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2009, 11:15:07 am »

Quote from: Ray
No negativity? Does that mean no criticism? Does this thread intend to be a mutual admiration society?

I know that James Russell is a competent and successful photographer in the commercial world, and any criticisms that I offer may be totally irrelevant in relation to the advertising potential of his shots, but speaking from the point of view of a non-consumer and an amateur with an esthetic sensibility, those images are a bit ridiculous, in my opinion, James.

You've got models made-up to the hilt in a rather natural and ordinary environment. They look totally out of place. There's a dysymmetry here which is not beautiful. The models  look artificial. The environment and background look natural.

What are you trying to say here, James?

Ray, I´m not James, do not pretend to answer for him, but unless you are into fashion you will never understand. Simple as that; there can be no interpretation, no dictionary. You speak the language or you do not.

That´s why some can do it and others never will.

FWIW, tune in to:

http://www.wibagency.com/set.html

and once you get there, click on photographers and then click on Hans Feurer. You will see why I am still alive after losing my wife in the winter. That the camera can produce beauty like that is the only damn reason it´s worth living. I thank the guy almost every day for giving me that reason, a target however unlikely I´ll ever hit again.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:17:13 am by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2009, 11:43:08 am »

Rob,
Let the truth be out. Fashion is ridiculous. I'm discussing art and esthetics here. James Russell's shots have no value other than the con-type commercial value.

That's how I see it. A truthful and honest opinion.

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2009, 11:48:20 am »

Quote from: Rob C
FWIW, tune in to:

http://www.wibagency.com/set.html

and once you get there, click on photographers and then click on Hans Feurer. You will see why I am still alive after losing my wife in the winter. That the camera can produce beauty like that is the only damn reason it´s worth living. I thank the guy almost every day for giving me that reason, a target however unlikely I´ll ever hit again.

Rob C

My heart felt condolences for the loss of your wife in the winter, I'm very sorry to hear this sad news.

I hope that you are OK and have family to help you through your loss.

Kindest regards,

David

Ray

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2009, 11:54:04 am »

but unless you are into fashion you will never understand. Rob C

Right! I am not into fashion. However, at least your first photo on this website showed a couple of very esthetic breasts. No criticism there.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2009, 12:43:38 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
Here are a couple from last season.
[attachment=14363:Gridiron...llet_PFW.jpg] [attachment=14364:Objects_...y_appear.jpg]
These were two that I entered in the photo contest that the NFL Hall of Fame conducts every year for media covering the NFL.

And here's what happened to one of them.
http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/story.jsp?story_id=3223

Great stuff.

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2009, 03:17:00 pm »

Quote from: KAHA
My heart felt condolences for the loss of your wife in the winter, I'm very sorry to hear this sad news.

I hope that you are OK and have family to help you through your loss.

Kindest regards,

David

Hi David

Thanks for your good wishes - yes, there´s family all right, but they both live back in Britain whilst I in Spain, and they have their own lives to lead and I would hate to mess with that. But, even were they living next-door to me it woudn´t make any difference really; it´s the small, unexpected things that kill you: a single coffee mug in the sunshine on the terrace in the morning; going into the kitchen and seeing a row of knives that I will never have the skill to use; watering her flowerpots; an empty seat beside me in the car - that sort of thing. It really isn´t a matter of replacing one love with shares in another - it sometimes feels there´s a danger of drifting off into self-pity and then, when that thought comes, one realises that it isn´t what it is at all, that it´s a regret for all the couple could do and was then denied.

But, c´est la vie, and everybody faces it in life. I just feel thankful that I still love photography and can used it as therapy if nothing else. There´s that saying: better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I sometimes wonder, but eventually I swing to agreeing with it.

Again, thank you.

Rob C

cyberean

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »

... Fashion is ridiculous. I'm discussing art and esthetics here. ...
beauty, art, aesthetics, etc. are in the eye of the beholder.
while some see fashion as a form of art, it's also a true that
not all art and/or art form is for everyone.

and Rob, sorry for your loss, man.

Rob C

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2009, 03:34:13 pm »

Right! I am not into fashion. However, at least your first photo on this website showed a couple of very esthetic breasts. No criticism there.

I once had a lady client who said things like that: if she offered you fruit and you took the apple she´d ask what was wrong with the pear! A lovely woman, really, who was Scottish rep for the IWS and took me into my first Vogue set: twenty-something pages which we shot in Amsterdam. It rained all the bloody time. A veritable monsoon. She, too, lost it to the Big C, but worse, in her late thirties...

Okay, you ask, why am I saying this? Because you must be implying something wrong with the other sets of natural wonders I offered you as a token of, well, because they looked good!

How things change in this litigious world; many years ago we never had to worry about model releases - the agency´s invoice was tantamount to proof that the girl was being paid to fulfil a function. So, much early stuff is beyond safety now, there being eff all release to wave at lawyers.  Also, and totally my own fault, living in one country and doing design and stuff in another led to a less than totally attentive approach to getting film back from printers. Of course, much more was lost for ever in the transition from one domicile to another, particularly a lot of b/w fashion negs that I would love to have  today, to play with in PS and so forth.

Ciao - Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2009, 03:35:44 pm »

Quote from: cyberean
beauty, art, aesthetics, etc. are in the eye of the beholder.
while some see fashion as a form of art, it's also a true that
not all art and/or art form is for everyone.

and Rob, sorry for your loss, man.[/i

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 04:08:21 pm »

Rob,
Let the truth be out. Fashion is ridiculous. I'm discussing art and esthetics here. James Russell's shots have no value other than the con-type commercial value.

That's how I see it. A truthful and honest opinion.

But that ain´t the truth you´re letting out, Ray, that´s opinion. Far from being ridiculous, fashion fed me and my lot for many years, took us places we would never have visited ourselves without clients, introduced us to hotels we could never have afforded and filled our lives with great memories. Exactly the same story as with calendars. Not ridiculous, but very serious stuff with lots of moolah riding on it for many many people!

I like women to look incredibly beautiful; I like them to look unavailable; I love them to look a little on the trashy side (in pix) as much as I like them to look like they were a duchess made in heaven. I love women. That´s perhaps what it´s all about. Everybody and everything can look like a turd that´s been in the sun; it takes time, care and talent to ring the change, even naked!

Art - well, I think I´m discussing it too, and I see more talent, skill and control in creating one great fashion pic than in sitting around for a month waiting for the sun to cross that rock in exactly the right arc; more than in coming across a wonderful view that was ever there - the photographer just finding it. The moment you throw people into the picture, you need a hell of a lot of disparate talents to make a mix that works!

Peace unto the world!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »

I know it was a great post, but I didn´t mean to send it twice!

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:16:56 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2009, 04:53:40 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:53:35 pm by Rob C »

KeithR

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2009, 06:22:57 pm »

Hi David

Thanks for your good wishes - yes, there´s family all right, but they both live back in Britain whilst I in Spain, and they have their own lives to lead and I would hate to mess with that. But, even were they living next-door to me it woudn´t make any difference really; it´s the small, unexpected things that kill you: a single coffee mug in the sunshine on the terrace in the morning; going into the kitchen and seeing a row of knives that I will never have the skill to use; watering her flowerpots; an empty seat beside me in the car - that sort of thing. It really isn´t a matter of replacing one love with shares in another - it sometimes feels there´s a danger of drifting off into self-pity and then, when that thought comes, one realises that it isn´t what it is at all, that it´s a regret for all the couple could do and was then denied.

But, c´est la vie, and everybody faces it in life. I just feel thankful that I still love photography and can used it as therapy if nothing else. There´s that saying: better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I sometimes wonder, but eventually I swing to agreeing with it.

Again, thank you.

Rob C

Unfortunately Rob, I know your sorrow, having lost my wife to "C" 13 years ago. There are times still that takes me back to that time and what might have been since. A photograph, an aroma, a song on the radio. They all trigger an emotion once in a while. But she will always be with me every time I see my daughter who was not quite 14 when she lost her mother. Together we have gained strength in each other and won't let her memory fade. She encourages my photography as a way to move forward and not wallow in a pitied state. My condolences to you and hope to see more of your work.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

KeithR

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Great stuff.
Thanks DP!
Now I only wish I had a decent QB to shoot(instead of the ones that should be)
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2009, 02:15:44 am »

Quote from: KAHA
Some great work here from everyone  

A pic from my student days in 2006 for 3rd year fashion designer, Catherine @ Swan Tafe, WA

Canon 1D, f/8 @ 1/160th, Large Octabox.

Nicely done!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2009, 04:14:58 am »

Quote from: KeithR
Unfortunately Rob, I know your sorrow, having lost my wife to "C" 13 years ago. There are times still that takes me back to that time and what might have been since. A photograph, an aroma, a song on the radio. They all trigger an emotion once in a while. But she will always be with me every time I see my daughter who was not quite 14 when she lost her mother. Together we have gained strength in each other and won't let her memory fade. She encourages my photography as a way to move forward and not wallow in a pitied state. My condolences to you and hope to see more of your work.

Thank you Keith, and I send you my sympathy for your own loss. It must have been even more difficult with such a young family to concern you on top of everything else. I have a daughter and son and the daughter has two girls of her own, the eldest turned seventeen.  The fact that my wife´s mother died from cancer as well does little to bighten us up - we have been told it "probably" isn´t hereditary because when it is, it tends to manifest itself at an earlier age. Armed with the history, my daughter undergoes frequent testing and we obviously hope for the best. The irony is, my wife used to go for regular check-ups too, and then, one year she forgot. That´s when the lump was found in her breast. She went to the local doc who told her that it was nothing to worry about, just an infection, but if she was worried, then go have a scan. She did, and it was cancer. Two ops, chemo and radio therapy later, it came back and she had more ops and chemo and then, six months before the end, she fell and broke her hip. They scanned again and found liposarcoma.

She walked out of hospital with a new hip, without even a limp or a crutch and without the liposarcoma. Then, six months later high fever and further scans revealed what we dreaded. I have never seen such bravery; never a complaint. No wonder I admire women.

There is humour in everything, if you look. She used to like Chanel 5 and apart from the perfume she had one of those black spray things which is kept on the vanitry unit. When the family came for the funeral I gave the bottle to our daughter but elected to keep the spray sitting just as it always sat - one clings to tokens, sometimes. Anyway, some weeks later, I wondered if there was any of it left inside, so I turned it around to have a look and I pushed the button. Of course, I had it pointing straight into my face and got my just deserts. It might smell nice, but it tastes hellish and could blind an eagle.

I guess we both know, then, the huge uplift that losing oneself in photography can provide.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:39:24 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2009, 06:10:58 am »

Deleted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:54:17 pm by Rob C »

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:21 am »

It's okay as long as it's got tits? Try xnxx.com for some "aesthetically pleasing" work then.

Rob C

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:48 am »

Quote from: situgrrl
It's okay as long as it's got tits? Try xnxx.com for some "aesthetically pleasing" work then.

Easy, pardner! They´s tits and they´s tits!

Better than blowing the heads off bunnies, non?

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up