Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PocketWizards sync problems  (Read 1218 times)

JaimeM

• http://www.jaimemurcia.com
PocketWizards sync problems
« on: May 30, 2009, 08:26:01 pm »

I live in Australia and recently purchased two Pocket Wizard Plus ll units from the US, which I subsequently realized was a mistake, I was unaware that the frequencies used in the US are different from those in Australia so I'm forever locked into buying Pocket Wizard products from the US, I guess that will teach me for not buying local!  Anyway the problem I have is that the units work fine for a bit, but then they will stop syncing and the only way I can get them to talk to each other again is to switch the unit on my camera off and on, then when I press the shutter it will trigger the unit on the flash, but I have to repeat this for every frame (very laborious) I don't think the unit/s are broken as they are practically brand new, I would love to hear from anyone who may have experienced the same thing and how I might fix it. Could it be something to do with the different frequencys used in the US & Oz although both units are from the US.

Cheers

Jaime

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:59:06 am »

Quote from: JaimeM
I live in Australia and recently purchased two Pocket Wizard Plus ll units from the US, which I subsequently realized was a mistake, I was unaware that the frequencies used in the US are different from those in Australia so I'm forever locked into buying Pocket Wizard products from the US, I guess that will teach me for not buying local!  Anyway the problem I have is that the units work fine for a bit, but then they will stop syncing and the only way I can get them to talk to each other again is to switch the unit on my camera off and on, then when I press the shutter it will trigger the unit on the flash, but I have to repeat this for every frame (very laborious) I don't think the unit/s are broken as they are practically brand new, I would love to hear from anyone who may have experienced the same thing and how I might fix it. Could it be something to do with the different frequencys used in the US & Oz although both units are from the US.

Cheers

Jaime

Have you changed the batteries with new fresh ones and does will that fix your problem? It is a very elementary questions but have to ask before going into more troubleshooting... Syncing with one another shouldn't be an issue if you are using all your PWs from the same location (US in your case).

I know that I am always somehow hitting one of the sliders on my PW that is mounted on my camera's hot shoe. I have no idea how but it is always that darned "Transit Mode" slider.

I would check the battery situation and experiment with using different groups. Maybe instead of A you could try setting them both to B,C or D...

Let me know how that does for you.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:12:44 pm »

Quote from: JaimeM

Cheers

Jaime

It sounds like something else.

I've used my pw's around the world, (U.S. frequencies) and never had an issue.  Actually rarely do they not work, though you always hear of a lot of reports of pw problems.   The only time mine go bad is if an assistant trashes one or the batteries are dead.

It's a shame they are different frequencies in OZ because you could borrow some and test it.

Maybe borrow or rent some anyway and make sure it's not a camera issue

JR
Pages: [1]   Go Up