Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cartridge error on 7900  (Read 10541 times)

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
Cartridge error on 7900
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »

Allow me to make a little prelude to my question.

We had service done on our 7900 last week but I was unable to make any prints because right after the tech guy left the printer requested a cleaning but the waste tank was too full to execute. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for how quickly a waste tank would need replacing and did not have any on hand.
I Immediately placed an order but because of our remote location, I just recently received it. I was able to produce two canvas prints without issues. (I was starting to smile)
Then I switched to photo paper (photo black) and proceeded to make some more prints. (this is when I lost my smile) The usual cleaning cycle was again initiated, after which it continued to print. The print result was slightly off so I did a nozzle check and sure enough there were clogs. I attempted to run a cleaning cycle but received the (way to frequent)  message, "replace ink cartridge". I do so but for the first time ever since owning Epson printers I get a message "ink cartridge error replace cartridge" What the....?!

Again I am caught unprepared as I only have one set of replacement cartridges.

I call support and start the conversation with the on going clogging issues. Their reply kind of caught me off guard because for the first time their response was on the defense by asking what kind of environment the printer was in....hot. cold, dry, etc.? They usually start with a genuine concern and try and walk me through the problem and try and resolve. This time however I felt he was implying that these printers will not function properly in certain climates.
I mentioned that we did own a 7600 prior for 6+ years with no where near the same problems but that was unanswered.

So then I ask about the "cartridge error" message. His response was "change the cartridge, it's a bad cartridge" I say, "It's a brand new cartridge, I don't have another one".... this conversation went back and forth for a bit and the end response from him was that there are some bad cartridges out there so send it back and we'll replace it.

I am now at my question...has anyone had that error message come up and was there a work around for it?

For the record, I have also initiated a return request as I think I have incurred expenses that are at least 30% more than the production I've produced since owning this printer.

I apologize for my rant. Yes I am extremely frustrated. I was lead to believe (from sales) that the x900 series had finally eliminated clogging issues....I am so naive!

deanb2010

Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:42:21 pm »

I have had that problem with a couple of cartridges...I had to pull them out and reseat them (on one-I had to do it a couple of times) and all is well. It appears that there may have been some tolerances that were pretty tight and if the cartridge is not seated just so, the printer doesn't pick it up.  Try that and see if it helps.

colinm

Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:19:02 am »

Quote from: Paul Eby
Their reply kind of caught me off guard because for the first time their response was on the defense by asking what kind of environment the printer was in....hot. cold, dry, etc.?

Sometimes a question is simply a question.
Colin

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:37:11 am »

Before inserting a new 7900/9900 cartridge, it must be allowed a few hours to adjust to the temperature and humidity of the printer room.
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Enrico PA

Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 07:48:05 am »

Quote from: Paul Eby
I am now at my question...has anyone had that error message come up and was there a work around for it?

This is my first post as 9900 owner, I've done the startup procedure this morning.

Well, now I can welcome myself to the list of the x900 owners having troubles !!!  

I've followed all the steps of the installation manual, and the 15min initial-fill procedure is automatically started when I closed the two ink doors.
After 10minutes the color display showed the ink levels (about 50% for every ink) but.... aaargh... the VLM ink was not detected ("insert a cartridge")  !!!
What ????   Why the printer started an init-fill procedure if it has not detected a cartridge ??

So I opened the front panel and ..... aaaargh .... there is an empty ink-line, the VLM one !!!

I proceed to clean the chip of VLM cartridge, reinstalled it and wow.... the cart is now recognized, but the level is 50% !!!   What ??? Where is gone the ink ??? The VLM line is always empty !!

Now,
- I have init-filled 9 inks
- All the chips indicates about at 50% (but VLM is actually FULL)
- I can't repeat an init-fill because this will empty the carts (110ml)
- In any way, I wasted the entire ink starter kit.....

On monday I will contact the Epson's service ...  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:55:32 am by Enrico PA »

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:28:24 pm »

Quote from: colinm
Sometimes a question is simply a question.

I should have added more of what his answer was but I was short on time. He also stated that these printers were not designed to work in dry conditions.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »

I have also had this happen. Somewhere in this forum there's another posting about it too. I was half way through a 20x30 inch print when my LLK cartridge ran out of ink. I replaced the cartridge and then got the error. Then I took out the offending cartridge again and tapped it against a table a few times as some others have done, and reinstalled the cartridge only to get the same error. The theory is that air bubbles cause this problem and tapping moves them elsewhere, or something. I removed the cartridge a second time, tapped it a few more times, and also lightly buffed the chip contacts with a clean dry paper towel. When I reinstalled the cartridge the printer started up, showed the LLK cartridge as being full, and finished the print perfectly.

I'm not sure if tapping or cleaning the contacts made it work, or if it would have worked anyway if I'd just taken it out and reinstalled it twice. Just thought I'd chime in. This is obviously not a rare occurrence.
- Dean

Enrico PA

Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:13:31 am »

Quote from: Enrico PA
On monday I will contact the Epson's service ...  

Well,
this issue was a... non-issue !!
My Epson 9900 is ok !!

The blank ink-line is normal because the x900 printers have 12 ink-lines , 11 ink-carts and 10 print-heads !!!  
In this way, the 12° ink-line always remain empty.

Regarding the problem of non recognized carts, I suggest to clean the chip before install the cart (I've used alcool).

pcmurray

Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »

Just to add my anecdotal to this thread, two of my brand new 700 ml replacement inks are not being recognized by my Epson 7900. Last week I got a cartridge error after inserting a new ink. After reading another thread on this site about removing air bubbles, I gently tapped the sides of the cartridge  as suggested to correct the problem.  It worked for a few prints but then showed an x for 'replace ink or maintenance tank' again. This went on the whole week. The second ink went in for another ink slot today when I tried to clear up a clog with paired cleaning and no taps or wipes make it register with the printer.

I've called Epson for two ink replacement swaps and the support rep said it is a known issue with some cartridges. He also said that tapping the cartridge is a temporary band-aid, when it does work.  As I bought a complete set of inks at the same time a few months ago, I do not look forward to a repeat of this problem with each replacement. In all fairness to Epson, the company has been very cooperative in sending new cartridges and in return I have to send back the defective inks.

RonSemrod

• http://www.ronsemrodphotography.com
Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:09 am »

My 9900 also gave an "Ink Cartridge Error" after installing inks. I unsuccessfully tried all of the fixes on this forum to date including tapping the cartridge to dislodge air bubbles. Epson Support told me that lately (Sept. 2009) they've been recommending a sharp tap directly on the cartridge chip. (This goes against every bit of advice I've had about these chips over the last decade.) It's a gentle tap but firmer than you might think safe and performed on a hard surface. It worked immediately. Back on line!

Not sure if it's an air bubble problem or a short circuit in the chip.

The 9900 seems to have its quirks, but I'm happy with Epson's Preferred Service, though I wish they were open on weekends. This was a four day weekend. I've been down for days now. It would also be nice to receive some information about the problem rather than just the quick fix.
Ron Semrod Photography

"Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft."

Snorsky

RonSemrod

• http://www.ronsemrodphotography.com
Cartridge error on 7900
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:42:21 am »

"Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft."

Snorsky
Ron Semrod Photography

Snorsky
Pages: [1]   Go Up