Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Professional Imaging to close? (2)  (Read 6879 times)

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Kodak Professional Imaging to close? (2)
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 06:48:14 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
This would be a very risky approach IMHO... it would quickly become impossible to upgrade any of your software components/cameras. Say you need a high ISO camera for one project, chances are that the raw software supporting it will not run on the older OS required by LC11.

I had to upgrade to 10.5.6 because of C1 Pro since it didn't support 10.4.

De facto, you will be stuck with your current set up an lose opportunities to use more recent equipment.

Keeping your infra up to date gives you the possibility to use new gear when needed.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I politely disagree. I have a range of cameras, as I stated, although I forgot to include the DCS 560, which I still use on occasion. I use 2 G4's, which run OSX 10.4.11, two G5's that run 10.5.7, an intel iMac (24") and a macbookpro (15"). I would never have just one machine that handles everything. The point is that if it aint broke, don't fix it as they say. I treat the CantareXY/G4 combo as a functional unit, all of the computers are on a gig ethernet network with a NAS for main storage. I think it really is about using the right tool for the job at hand, now people will disagree on exactly what that is, but I know I, and more importantly, my clients don't want their next 600 shot catalogue done on the Valeo22.

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

arashm

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 09:56:02 am »

Quote from: photo570
Hi Bernard,

... but I know I, and more importantly, my clients don't want their next 600 shot catalogue done on the Valeo22.

Cheers,
Jason.

Jason
I'm a bit lost, why wouldn't you or your client want your next shoot on a Valeo 22 ?
smaller files? less HDD usage?
thanks
am

photo570

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »

Quote from: arashm
Jason
I'm a bit lost, why wouldn't you or your client want your next shoot on a Valeo 22 ?
smaller files? less HDD usage?
thanks
am

Its an issue of production workflow, and yes it relates to file size. A Valeo22 file is 84mb in CMYK, multiply that by 600, you get the picture? The Cantare is 24mb by comparison and the images are 17cm x 25cm at 300dpi, ideally suited for catalogue, but able to be enlarge to A3 with ease. they don't make them like they used to.

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

arashm

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 08:08:08 pm »

Quote from: photo570
Its an issue of production workflow, and yes it relates to file size. A Valeo22 file is 84mb in CMYK, multiply that by 600, you get the picture? The Cantare is 24mb by comparison and the images are 17cm x 25cm at 300dpi, ideally suited for catalogue, but able to be enlarge to A3 with ease. they don't make them like they used to.

Cheers,
Jason.

thanks Jason
that's what I thought
this is why I really welcome the P40+ and P65+ with sensor+ (not that I own one)
you get to shoot one rig/one back, have tethered shooting for your AD/CD and clients.
a normal look/book technical day for me is up to 1500 captures, easy; so smaller (good) files are fantastic.
not to mention all the web only campaigns lately where the client has dropped the print side cuz of the whole $$$ thing.
am

photo570

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 12:08:05 am »

Quote from: arashm
thanks Jason
that's what I thought
this is why I really welcome the P40+ and P65+ with sensor+ (not that I own one)
you get to shoot one rig/one back, have tethered shooting for your AD/CD and clients.
a normal look/book technical day for me is up to 1500 captures, easy; so smaller (good) files are fantastic.
not to mention all the web only campaigns lately where the client has dropped the print side cuz of the whole $$$ thing.
am
Yes indeed,

but I prefer to have multiple set-ups on the go at once. For example I have one camera and lights set-up for overhead shots, one for table top etc. saves a lot of time.

Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Fotogman

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 10:49:11 am »

Quote from: pixjohn
I personaly confirmed the info with! I will leave it at that!

"Kodak Israel closes the professional digital photography division fungus to 50 employees"

Last time I checked Kodak only had one pro digital department. LEAF

Since I just sent my Leaf Aptus back for a check up to NY, I hope Leaf America is stable.
I think we should question everything. What about Leaf Software? I guess no new updates since they just fired everyone.

Leaf just released an updated version of Leaf Capture over the weekend. LC 11.2.7 for their Aptus II-10 and AFi II-10 systems.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up