Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Professional Imaging to close? (2)  (Read 6880 times)

pixjohn

Kodak Professional Imaging to close? (2)
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:21:31 pm »

We all know production in Israel is now closed. I also know Leaf is in negotiation with someone?

Its a:

Who?
What?
Where?

We also know Sinar was linking up with Leaf? I have to say I am very impressed nobody inside Leaf leaked any info. I think Leaf was even surprised it took a month after the news to make it online.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:22:14 pm by pixjohn »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »

Quote from: pixjohn
We all know production in Israel is now closed. I also know Leaf is in negotiation with someone?

Its a:

Who?
What?
Where?

We also know Sinar was linking up with Leaf? I have to say I am very impressed nobody inside Leaf leaked any info. I think Leaf was even surprised it took a month after

I don't know anything but I hope it is with Franke and Heidecke....
Rolleiflex USA

pixjohn

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:32:27 pm »

That’s an interesting idea, but somewhere the talk of China came up. I don't think Franke and Heidecke
would move production to China. This whole move by Leaf must be killing sale on AFI camera's. That has to also heart Franke and Heidecke.

Quote from: EricWHiss
I don't know anything but I hope it is with Franke and Heidecke....

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:38:16 pm »

We also know Sinar was linking up with Leaf?

That was nothing more than a statement that they would share some technology, for mutual benefit. There was never intended to be a legal/equity tie between the companies afaik.

pixjohn

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:28 pm »

I do believe that would mean linked up? Sharing technology, for mutual benefit.

Quote from: foto-z
That was nothing more than a statement that they would share some technology, for mutual benefit. There was never intended to be a legal/equity tie between the companies afaik.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »

I do believe that would mean linked up? Sharing technology, for mutual benefit.

John, it may have been as little as developing one new sensor or other component together (we may never know) and I wouldn't be surprised if nothing came out of this after the recent turmoil and change in priorities. Perhaps Thierry can shed more light on this?

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »

Its a:

Who?
What?
Where?

We also know Sinar was linking up with Leaf? I have to say I am very impressed nobody inside Leaf leaked any info. I think Leaf was even surprised it took a month after the news to make it online.

Why another thread?

1. "We all know production in Israel is now closed." - Not confirmed, published articles contain inaccurate info, thus do not confirm anything.

2. Leaf was not mentioned in articles.

3. Leaf is quiet on the issue, thus we need wait until they have news.

pixjohn

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 07:17:22 pm »

I personaly confirmed the info with! I will leave it at that!

"Kodak Israel closes the professional digital photography division fungus to 50 employees"

Last time I checked Kodak only had one pro digital department. LEAF

Since I just sent my Leaf Aptus back for a check up to NY, I hope Leaf America is stable.
I think we should question everything. What about Leaf Software? I guess no new updates since they just fired everyone.

Quote from: Anders_HK
Why another thread?

1. "We all know production in Israel is now closed." - Not confirmed, published articles contain inaccurate info, thus do not confirm anything.

2. Leaf was not mentioned in articles.

3. Leaf is quiet on the issue, thus we need wait until they have news.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:18:12 pm by pixjohn »

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 12:32:15 am »

I am very sad about the news and concerned about the service for my Leaf backs. One could see it coming as there were signs all over the wall. Calument had to know two months ago when they stopped carrying Leaf and sold all their AFI stock from 12 to 14k. There was a huge change in attitude from Leaf when inquiring about an order I placed two months ago. I was just hopping that it was temporary.
These are hard times for MFD users. I wish I knew how to shot DSLR.

ThierryH

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 12:39:39 am »

Andre,

I would not worry that much, at this stage: there is absolutely no information out telling that Leaf will cease to produce, support and service their customers. I believe that the best is to wait for an official information, which should come any time soon, IMO.

Wishing you the best,
Thierry

Quote from: AndreNapier
I am very sad about the news and concerned about the service for my Leaf backs. One could see it coming as there were signs all over the wall. Calument had to know two months ago when they stopped carrying Leaf and sold all their AFI stock from 12 to 14k. There was a huge change in attitude from Leaf when inquiring about an order I placed two months ago. I was just hopping that it was temporary.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 01:08:57 am »

Quote from: ThierryH
Andre,

I would not worry that much, at this stage: there is absolutely no information out telling that Leaf will cease to produce, support and service their customers. I believe that the best is to wait for an official information, which should come any time soon, IMO.

Wishing you the best,
Thierry

Yes agreed - I haven't heard anything either (not that I have any special sources)  - let's not jump to any conclusion just yet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:10:03 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 01:41:55 am »

if this is true about leaf and kodak, will this mean hasselblad wont have kodak sensors?

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 02:45:50 am »

Quote from: ThierryH
Andre,

Wishing you the best,
Thierry

Yesterday I enquired at Peartree, UK and they offered to get and ship Leaf AFI-II 10 wiithin a day. They even offered a decent discount if I buy within a week!

Ajoy Roy
Ajoy Roy, image processing

Nick_T

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 06:00:27 am »

Let's not panic here, something is going on with Leaf for sure but that is all we know, let's wait for the official announcement.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

michael

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 07:48:54 am »

Just for the record, Leaf is completely a different animal from Kodak's sensor division. No relationship whatsoever.

As for what's happening with Leaf, there are lots of rumours, and just a few facts (unsubstantiated). Best to hold off speculation for another few weeks.

Michael

bcooter

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 12:58:58 pm »

If the rumors are true be sad for the people that lost their jobs, but as far as equipment you'll be fine.

Take it from a Contax owner, there is something almost liberating about not having the latest and greatest.  You don't worry about firmware upgrades, used replacements become cheap, (except for waist level finders) and as far as computers, software, etc., you can buy refurbished macs for a decade.  Old computers may not twitter, tweet, or facebook as well as a new one, but to use them for running a single purpose software like LC11 and photoshop, they'll last and work a lifetime.

I like new stuff, some of it is useful, but the difference between a 33mpx back vs. a 50mpx back probably isn't that noticeable and if your leaf works for you today, it will work for you for a lot of years.

Still, if you know the Leaf people personally, (I think you do) they're one tough bunch so I don't think they will throw in the towel without giving it a hell of a fight.

I wouldn't count them out yet.

B

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
If the rumors are true be sad for the people that lost their jobs, but as far as equipment you'll be fine.

Take it from a Contax owner, there is something almost liberating about not having the latest and greatest.  You don't worry about firmware upgrades, used replacements become cheap, (except for waist level finders) and as far as computers, software, etc., you can buy refurbished macs for a decade.  Old computers may not twitter, tweet, or facebook as well as a new one, but to use them for running a single purpose software like LC11 and photoshop, they'll last and work a lifetime.

I like new stuff, some of it is useful, but the difference between a 33mpx back vs. a 50mpx back probably isn't that noticeable and if your leaf works for you today, it will work for you for a lot of years.

Still, if you know the Leaf people personally, (I think you do) they're one tough bunch so I don't think they will throw in the towel without giving it a hell of a fight.

I wouldn't count them out yet.

B

I couldn't agree more, I shoot most of my "commercial" work on Leaf CantareXY's from 1999/2000 using G4's, yes I have a 5d kit, and a Valeo22 on H2 kit, but for catalogue and editorial product, the Cantare's are still as good as the day they were made. and when you can find them, generally very cheap.

Jason Berge.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:02 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Old computers may not twitter, tweet, or facebook as well as a new one, but to use them for running a single purpose software like LC11 and photoshop, they'll last and work a lifetime.

This would be a very risky approach IMHO... it would quickly become impossible to upgrade any of your software components/cameras. Say you need a high ISO camera for one project, chances are that the raw software supporting it will not run on the older OS required by LC11.

I had to upgrade to 10.5.6 because of C1 Pro since it didn't support 10.4.

De facto, you will be stuck with your current set up an lose opportunities to use more recent equipment.

Keeping your infra up to date gives you the possibility to use new gear when needed.

Cheers,
Bernard

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 12:23:01 am »

In the past two years my Leaf backs made it to Leaf America four times for warranty repairs. One of the times it was a complete EBox replacement, 2 times firewire port replacement and once adjustment. Currently I am sitting on two AFI backs on warranty. If there is service for them I will be OK but if the service is gone I will be screwed. I am shooting a big volume of images, quite often a 100k a year and always rely on service to be available. I know that this beasts go forever. My H20 went for 450K actuation, record followed by 300k of my 6MP LPhase and so on.
I know it is just a rumor, but people say that it is a rumor that I lost money on real-estate market. Should I believe it or question it as well?
Andre

bcooter

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 04:01:24 am »

In the past two years my Leaf backs made it to Leaf America four times for warranty repairs. One of the times it was a complete EBox replacement, 2 times firewire port replacement and once adjustment. Currently I am sitting on two AFI backs on warranty. If there is service for them I will be OK but if the service is gone I will be screwed. I am shooting a big volume of images, quite often a 100k a year and always rely on service to be available. I know that this beasts go forever. My H20 went for 450K actuation, record followed by 300k of my 6MP LPhase and so on.
I know it is just a rumor, but people say that it is a rumor that I lost money on real-estate market. Should I believe it or question it as well?
Andre

Andre,

At some level I don't understand.

I like the people at Leaf and when their back works it works well, loved the interface and even though the lcd isn't that detailed the wb and controls and about 20,000 miles ahead of the phase backs I replaced it with.

Regardless of liking the people,  I have work to do and by the time I went through three rounds of major repairs on the Leaf and suffered through LC10, I just gave up, took a $14,000 loss and sold it, spent close to another 20k and went with Phase.

Do I think the Phase shoots a superior file, absolutely not, but it's close enough and it is bulletproof, though clunky, out of date in it's design and functions.

Also at the time the software of the Phase was very stable and didn't require a new fresh install every two weeks.

I guess my point is if you are shooting 100,000 images a year why mess with it, regarldess of what happens to Leaf?

There has to be a better alternative than 4 repairs in a shot period of time.

Maybe it is time to look at a D3x.

B
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up