Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Inconsistent print lengths  (Read 1408 times)

markdfink

Z3100 Inconsistent print lengths
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:46:30 am »

I've noticed something strange when printing with my Z3100 on roll paper. If my image measures12"x36" at 300dpi, and I print in portrait, the width of thie final image is exactly 12", but the length is 35 13/16". I did a test with a 15"x30" print in landscape, and the width was exactly 30" as expected, but the length was 14 15/16". It seems that all of my lengths are printing short of what they should be, and the longer the print, the more pronounced the shortfall. The widths are perfect.

At first, I thought it was something to do with the canvas that I was printing on, but I see now that it is happening on paper as well. I don't remember seeing this in the past, and the only fairly recent change has been updating to the latest firmware. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't have noticed it except that when I print on canvas, I create a black border that wraps around, so having the image exactly the right dimensions is critical. I've had to trim down my stretcher bars for a couple of prints so that no black shows on the front.

Thanks,

Mark

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:03:39 am »

This is typical of HP drivers. Try to calibrate the feed for the printer. Try printing a grid or at least a graduated strip at the beginning and end of the print. Remeasure, see what happens.
 Sometimes the paper thickness changes the calibration of the feed, so start there. I am curious to find out what happens.

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:06:41 pm »

Quote from: markdfink
I've noticed something strange when printing with my Z3100 on roll paper. If my image measures12"x36" at 300dpi, and I print in portrait, the width of thie final image is exactly 12", but the length is 35 13/16". I did a test with a 15"x30" print in landscape, and the width was exactly 30" as expected, but the length was 14 15/16". It seems that all of my lengths are printing short of what they should be, and the longer the print, the more pronounced the shortfall. The widths are perfect.

At first, I thought it was something to do with the canvas that I was printing on, but I see now that it is happening on paper as well. I don't remember seeing this in the past, and the only fairly recent change has been updating to the latest firmware. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't have noticed it except that when I print on canvas, I create a black border that wraps around, so having the image exactly the right dimensions is critical. I've had to trim down my stretcher bars for a couple of prints so that no black shows on the front.

Thanks,

Mark

Canvas will shrink...since I coat all my canvas with acrylic varnish, I'm not sure if it's after or before coating that the shrinkage occurs. It doesn't matter to me, because I measure for stretcher bars after coating so as not risking scratching the print. I've not found any shrinkage in my other print stock.

Yesterday I printed a photograph that was sized to 33x46 inches and in measuring the finished and dry print just now, it is exactly that size. It was resized in Photoshop CS4, (RIP) processed through Qimage, and printed from a Z3200ps 44" on HP Professional HG Contract paper.

Pages: [1]   Go Up