Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P65+ Wakeup  (Read 3723 times)

CBarrett

P65+ Wakeup
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:53:13 pm »

From the LL review of the P65+:

"Finally, on the topic of features, apparently the P65+ has what is being called a Zero Latency mode which eliminates the need for a shutter pre-release when the back is mounted on a technical or view camera. This was previously required on Phase One backs to signal the back that an exposure was coming and wake it from power-saving dormancy. I have not had an opportunity to test this myself, as I just learned about it prior to publication, but I'll update here if this proves otherwise."

Is this true and does it mean that the P65+ does NOT require a wakeup cable when shooting on a View Camera?  Not sure how they get around that.

Thanks!

Chris

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 04:55:15 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
From the LL review of the P65+:

"Finally, on the topic of features, apparently the P65+ has what is being called a Zero Latency mode which eliminates the need for a shutter pre-release when the back is mounted on a technical or view camera. This was previously required on Phase One backs to signal the back that an exposure was coming and wake it from power-saving dormancy. I have not had an opportunity to test this myself, as I just learned about it prior to publication, but I'll update here if this proves otherwise."

Is this true and does it mean that the P65+ does NOT require a wakeup cable when shooting on a View Camera?  Not sure how they get around that.

Thanks!

Chris

Neither the P65+ nor the P40+ require a wake up cable. There's no need to wonder, this is confirmed.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

CBarrett

P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:01:23 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Neither the P65+ nor the P40+ require a wake up cable. There's no need to wonder, this is confirmed.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Thanks Steve,

I'm going to be testing the P65+ Wednesday at ProGear on my Arca and look forward to comparing it to the P45+, which has always impressed me.

-C

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:17:51 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Thanks Steve,

I'm going to be testing the P65+ Wednesday at ProGear on my Arca and look forward to comparing it to the P45+, which has always impressed me.

-C

Make sure they show you the built in tilt-meter. I'm overly obsessed about strait horizons. This mode is meant for tripod leveling, but even with slower paced hand held shooting you can put it in virtual horizon mode and it will buzz when level.

Some of the confusion might have stemmed from the fact that the *prototype* P65+ models shown prior to the full release did not have zero-latency mode enabled yet. All shipping 65+ work without wakeup cables.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

CBarrett

P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Make sure they show you the built in tilt-meter. I'm overly obsessed about strait horizons. This mode is meant for tripod leveling, but even with slower paced hand held shooting you can put it in virtual horizon mode and it will buzz when level.

Some of the confusion might have stemmed from the fact that the *prototype* P65+ models shown prior to the full release did not have zero-latency mode enabled yet. All shipping 65+ work without wakeup cables.

You're obsessed?!  I'm sitting on my sofa with my Arca in front of me, a torpedo level and an incline vial at my side and wondering if I can find a dual axis machinist's level.  Why can't I trust any of the 6 bubble levels installed on my camera?  If I could change one thing about the Phase backs, it would be to have the rear face machined parallel to the focal plane.

I don't need to start hanging plumb-bobs around my camera, my clients already think I'm weird!

-c

vgogolak

• http://
P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:34 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve

Why is it the Dalsa doesnt need wakeup and Kodak does? (Kodak definitely DOES need a wake up call   )

Anyway, the P65+ on an Alpa is one of ythe slickest 'quick triggers' If you are doing sports, say with the 47 Schneider, you can capture EXACTLY what you want.

This was a really pleasant surprise on the P65+

BTW, the Contax 645 still needs standard latency. It is pretty quick, but why is that? Is it the communication with the body? I know AE and AF need time to say "OK", but if you go

continuous
Manual shutte and aperture
manual focus

will zero latency work? Not that I notice any lag with std latency, but would be nice to know

Regards
Victor

michaelnotar

P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:47:06 am »

Doug

what exactly is needed on a technical camera...just a sync cord between the lens and back i assume?  with a one shot cable not much has changed then...? why not ship the back with a one shot cable and not add the feature

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:10:18 am »

Quote from: michaelnotar
Doug

what exactly is needed on a technical camera...just a sync cord between the lens and back i assume?  with a one shot cable not much has changed then...? why not ship the back with a one shot cable and not add the feature

So to be clear for those who haven't used them, the P20,21,25,30,and 45 (plus or non plus) all require two signals on a technical camera. This is most often provided by having a button to push to provide the first "wakeup" signal and the second signal is given by the sync port on the lens.

In the case of the 40+ and 65+ only one signal is required. So a simple sync cable from the lens to the back is all that's needed on a camera like a cambo, alpa, horseman, etc.

If you're buying from a decent dealer than they will make sure you have any such cabling you need.

michaelnotar

P65+ Wakeup
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:18 pm »

doug, i bought from you and recieved no such cableing!  but only bought the classic package.
Pages: [1]   Go Up