Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV LCD screen/monitor with MacBook Pro in Studio Possible?  (Read 3583 times)

Snook

Hey guys, how is everyone today? Hope all is well.
I was wondering if it is possible or worth it to shoot to my Laptop and have it attached to a 32" LCD TV monitor? I Do not need to worry about the color correction or even contrast, I just want to view the images coming in on a bigger screen for my Clients and Art Directors?
I have a 30" Apple cinema display, but since I do my retocuhing in the House I have moved it there with my MacPro.
Has anybody had any experience with doing this and if so would you tell me any Pros' or Cons' of doing this.
I can pick up an LG 32" 1900X 730 LCD TV monitor for relatively cheap and thought this might be a good idea?

I sure would appreciate any feedback about this topic if you do not mind.

Also does anybody know if I need any special video card in my MacBook Pro 17" from about 2 years ago? Entel 2.4 ghz model.

Thank you so much in advance

Snook

Frank Doorhof

• http://
TV LCD screen/monitor with MacBook Pro in Studio Possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:39:10 pm »

I'm using a 46" Samsung Full HD tv in the studio and on exhibitions, that works fine on 1920x1080
Other brands may vary, check if the TV supports the laptop.
Best is to bring the laptop with you to the store.

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:55:55 pm »

Go full tilt: get an HD projector!

Snook

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »

Quote from: terence_patrick
Go full tilt: get an HD projector!

The Idea was to save money...:+]
Good idea about the taking the laptop to the store. I live in South America and we do not have the latest LCD's here and it is you get what you find.
Is 1920x1080 a must or can it be a little less resolution. Here I think they told me they have FULL HD for around 800.00 us$.
What does a  HD projecter Run $$.
Like I said just want something the clients can see with out touching my latop and bothering my techy..

Thanks for the information so far.
And Thanks Frank for the tip.

Snook

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:02:17 pm »

I have the new 17" Mac Book Pro.

Mini display port to DVI adaptor

DVI to HDMI cable

50 inch Pioneer display, or the Eizo 21"

I think the book says it is 1080p compatible, but I think 1600 by 1200 works.

I found, when shooting a 13 year old ballerina (in a leotard), she rushed up to see the picture on the back of the camera... and a big screen visible to the model would have saved her getting inappropriately close to me. (Fortunately my wife <her ballet teacher> was in the studio).
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Snook

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I have the new 17" Mac Book Pro.

Mini display port to DVI adaptor

DVI to HDMI cable

50 inch Pioneer display, or the Eizo 21"

I think the book says it is 1080p compatible, but I think 1600 by 1200 works.

I found, when shooting a 13 year old ballerina (in a leotard), she rushed up to see the picture on the back of the camera... and a big screen visible to the model would have saved her getting inappropriately close to me. (Fortunately my wife <her ballet teacher> was in the studio).

Dick could you share some comments on the set up, does it work for you well.
Are you happy with the LCD instead of just laptop.
Anything negative?
Thank you
Snook

PS. One thing I thought of is the TV's  (here) models I looked at cannot tilt at all. Does anybody have any suggestions for this. Anyway of mounting on some kind of swivel like the ones for the wall to have some play or tilting ability?

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:10:39 am »

Hi,
the macbookpro does 1920x1080 if you connect it to a 1080P display.
It's running here 1920x1200 on the notebook itself and 1920x1080 on the Samsung LCDTV (2 screen setup).
If you can only select 1600x1200 maybe check the settings and select show all resolutions.
It should work fine.

TV's should be able to be used in portrait mode, only CRT's cannot be used that way.

michaelnotar

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:27:17 am »

ive got a G4 power pc powerbook aluminum laptop and a 52" rear projection sony tv. the tv was a good canidate being relatively cheap due to the size, i dont care about a moderate thickness, its about 1-1.5ft deep, and that it had a VGA connection on the back. i bought a VGA cord from BH photo and then use the monitor adapter that came with my laptop. just plug in and play, just turn the tv to PC input. i use it for proof viewings. my lap is standardly configured, standard graphics, 15" screen, 60 or 80GB HHD, 1GB ram and my computer is like 5 years old.

and i dont change resolution (720/1080) i just plug it in and play...perhaps i am missing something...like if vga is limiting the res...but it looks fine to everyone at a viewing distance of 6-8ft.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:29:21 am by michaelnotar »

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:55:15 am »

Quote from: michaelnotar
ive got a G4 power pc powerbook aluminum laptop and a 52" rear projection sony tv. the tv was a good canidate being relatively cheap due to the size, i dont care about a moderate thickness, its about 1-1.5ft deep, and that it had a VGA connection on the back. i bought a VGA cord from BH photo and then use the monitor adapter that came with my laptop. just plug in and play, just turn the tv to PC input. i use it for proof viewings. my lap is standardly configured, standard graphics, 15" screen, 60 or 80GB HHD, 1GB ram and my computer is like 5 years old.

and i dont change resolution (720/1080) i just plug it in and play...perhaps i am missing something...like if vga is limiting the res...but it looks fine to everyone at a viewing distance of 6-8ft.

i would have thought a 30 inch dell would be about the same price as a hd tv? its a way better picture and heaps better res.

otherwise, what about just getting a cheap 23-24 inch del or similar? a little less wow than a hd tv, but again , sharper and more useful if you really need a proper second display.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

michaelnotar

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:10:53 am »

Quote from: paul_jones
i would have thought a 30 inch dell would be about the same price as a hd tv? its a way better picture and heaps better res.

otherwise, what about just getting a cheap 23-24 inch del or similar? a little less wow than a hd tv, but again , sharper and more useful if you really need a proper second display.

paul

paul, i assume you are pointing your reply to me...

i got the tv for size, proofing portraits mainly. it was that or a projector, i dont anywhere to put a projector, really high ceilings. i like the tv tho. were were looking at 42" tvs then saw a 52" tv at costco and went for it. it wasnt that much more. i am happy with it, and i even have a dvd player  attached to it for awesome action movies when nothing else is going on! and i just added studio surround sound so it really rocks now.

i too have seen some small tvs at best buy that had quite a nice picture for $300-500 in about 28-32" inch.

Snook

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 08:01:34 am »

Quote from: paul_jones

paul

Where I live there are no Dells and for sure no 30" ones..
I want the TV LCD route as I am not doing any retouching or Color correcting in the studio. It is just for the AD and client to look at for mainly compostiion etc..
I was also thinking about using it for Music Videos while on down time in the studio. I like playing backstage stuff also on the TV.

Here in South America there are hardly and choices and certainly no Monitors over 21" at the moment and the 30" cinema display are over 3,000.00 here, which I have at home.
A 32 " LCD TV is around 800.00. Quite a bit difference.

Thanks for the suggestion so far.
Snook

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:21:50 am »

I was just thinking yesterday if this LCD would be appropriate for fine digital retouching. Not cheap but 42" big and with 96% aRGB
http://www.avguide.com/article/jvc-debuts-...rs?src=Playback
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:23:43 am by uaiomex »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:24:34 am »

Quote from: Snook
Dick could you share some comments on the set up, does it work for you well.
Are you happy with the LCD instead of just laptop.
Anything negative?
Thank you
Snook
Hi Snook.
I have an Eizo for re-touching, but the Pioneer... the latest 50 or 60 inch ones are very good, have good deep blacks and are supposed to be easy to profile/colour match.

My Pioneer is 1080P, but 1080I is the option offered for use with the Laptop.

I have only briefly had the computer connected to the Pioneer, and only for a family slide show.

Some people say a big screen in the studio only creates problems, as everyone gives you advice.

The Pioneer is very heavy... hardly practical for one person to load into a vehicle.

I would use the Eizo or the Pioneer in addition to the laptop screen.

Live video will, I hope be available for my Hasselblad any day soon.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up