Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best CD and DVD printer  (Read 4835 times)

annesophieheist

• http://www.annesophieheist.com
best CD and DVD printer
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:11:17 am »

I am looking for a printer to print on DVDs ( as well as CDs) but not sure which one to buy.
Some of the ones i read reviews about are already discontinued so maybe anyone can give me an updated feedback.
Since I already own an Epson 3800 I am not looking for a printer to give me prints, just good quality, consistent, headache free DVD burning to be able to deliver to my demanding wedding clients.

Will i need to fix them to make them waterproof? not that i intend to throw them into a pool but sweaty hands can be just as bad......
thank you for your feedback already in advance....

best
ash

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:58:28 am »

Quote from: annesophieheist
I am looking for a printer to print on DVDs ( as well as CDs) but not sure which one to buy.
Some of the ones i read reviews about are already discontinued so maybe anyone can give me an updated feedback.
Since I already own an Epson 3800 I am not looking for a printer to give me prints, just good quality, consistent, headache free DVD burning to be able to deliver to my demanding wedding clients.

Will i need to fix them to make them waterproof? not that i intend to throw them into a pool but sweaty hands can be just as bad......
thank you for your feedback already in advance....

best
ash

Have a look at this company Dymo They make small dvd/cd affordable printers. - Paul

Gemmtech

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »

If you want something really good, I would recommend buying the www.primera.com

annesophieheist

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:41:26 pm »

Quote from: Paul Eby
Have a look at this company Dymo They make small dvd/cd affordable printers. - Paul
thank you Paul for your quick reply,
Have you used Dymo yourself as
I have checked the reviews for Dymos Disc Painter but somehow I read quite a few reviews complaining about poor quality of the printing. That it is fast and easy to use but that the outcome is just not as professional.
Hmmm, I guess I will have to keep looking...
cheers
anne-sophie

annesophieheist

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech
If you want something really good, I would recommend buying the www.primera.com

I looked at them as well but the prices are just a bit too steep for my current budget.
Somehow I am looking for something a little better than a cheap 60 dollar printer but not quite as big of a jump to go and spend a thousand.

...... :-(
if I would have the cash I wouldnt even think much longer....

ash

Dan Wells

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:17:16 pm »

I've never used the Dymo, but have extensive experience with both the Epson and Primera solutions. The Epson has really superb print quality (if anything, it may even be BETTER than the Primera, and it's certainly equal) for the price; but it is an INCREDIBLE pain to use. You have to line up a tray with the disk on it very carefully, then insert it in the printer to exactly the right depth (it's possible to over-insert - this is not a "shove it in until it stops" operation). If you get it right, the printer ingests it and prints one disk. To get a second disk, repeat the whole operation.  The advantages to the Epson are that the printer is cheap (you'll break trays and feed gears fairly quickly, and the tray is NOT an easily found replacement part, so it's good that the machine is cheap, although it would be much better if it were sturdy instead), the print quality is good, and the ink is reasonably priced.
    The Primera is exactly the opposite - it is a beautifully made, easy to use piece of machinery that loads up to 25 disks at once. On the other hand, its print quality is good, but certainly not superb for a $1000+ printer. Not only is the PRINTER overpriced, but the ink is as well - the cartridges are a black and a tricolor (in the Bravo II model I've used), and the color cartridge only lasts about 30-40 disks (for $40). Annoyingly, Primera has chipped the cartridges so that standard (much cheaper) Lexmark cartridges won't work in it. The Primera is basically a standard Lexmark engine attached to some custom feeder hardware, and sold for six times the price of the Lexmark inkjet it's based on. The feeder hardware is very well built, and the most sensitive part of the print engine is the heads (which are in the cartridges, so they get replaced all the time), so I don't worry too much about any cheaply made Lexmark parts breaking down (and the Lexmark parts may not be from a cheap consumer inkjet anyway - Lexmark may make parts specifically for this sort of use (another example would be label printers used heavily by UPS, FedEx, etc...)). The only serious issue with the Primera is the price of the printer and the inks. The chipped ink is annoying, and Primera tries to stop you from refilling the cartridges by remembering the serial numbers of the last few cartridges used, so you need to have a bunch of cartridges if you are going to refill. This shows that the overpriced ink is a VERY deliberate business decision.
    If you have more than a few disks to print per month (especially if you print more than one or two of the same design at a time), swallow your anger at the price and buy a Primera (even though it is truly overpriced, as opposed to something like a Nikon D3x, which is EXPENSIVE, but not actually overpriced - the D3x offers performance commensurate with its price, while the Primera (and especially its ink, where they admit to selling $20 ink for $40 and putting a chip in to force you to buy it) is overpriced because there is no alternative and they can get away with it). If you print in low volumes and have the time to mess with the Epson's inane feeding system, stick with the cheap Epsons for a far better price/performance ratio.

-Dan

EvoM

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:18:42 am »

Quote from: Dan Wells
...The Epson has really superb print quality (if anything, it may even be BETTER than the Primera, and it's certainly equal) for the price; but it is an INCREDIBLE pain to use.......             -Dan
Well although the epson's print 1 at a time, they certainly are not difficult or inaccurate. I had a Epson 2100 and that printed discs and was a bit fiddly but I bought a Epson R290 for basic office/disc printing and you just place the disc on the tray and patially push it in to line up with clearly marked arrows. After that the printer takes over when you send a job and pulls it in and does the aligning...simple!

I did get a cheap continuous ink bottle system after the "expensive" cartridges ran out and it works great and is so cheap to run! Needed a few custom profiles made though!

anne-sophie, you may want to test the various printable discs available as the surface makes a huge difference to the print quality.
Yes, the surface can smudge when just printed but generally pretty stable. Haven't tried spraying with a lacquer etc but could work (?)

Cheers from downunder U

Evom

Dan Wells

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:33:56 am »

Quote from: EvoM
Well although the epson's print 1 at a time, they certainly are not difficult or inaccurate. I had a Epson 2100 and that printed discs and was a bit fiddly but I bought a Epson R290 for basic office/disc printing and you just place the disc on the tray and patially push it in to line up with clearly marked arrows. After that the printer takes over when you send a job and pulls it in and does the aligning...simple!

I did get a cheap continuous ink bottle system after the "expensive" cartridges ran out and it works great and is so cheap to run! Needed a few custom profiles made though!

anne-sophie, you may want to test the various printable discs available as the surface makes a huge difference to the print quality.
Yes, the surface can smudge when just printed but generally pretty stable. Haven't tried spraying with a lacquer etc but could work (?)

Cheers from downunder U

Evom

Maybe they've improved them recently (the Primera I have used is about a year old, and I haven't printed a disc on an Epson since then (and the last Epson I used was about a year old at the time, so it was a 2 years ago model (R400?)), but every Epson I've used HAS been fiddly, most of them extremely so when printing discs. I hope they have improved the fiddliness of lining he disc up, as that was the only real problem with the Epsons for small quantities.

-Dan

mills

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:24:01 am »

Try Epson R280. Very good and fast DVD printer. Read the following workflow and equipment for print discs
http://www.pftq.com/pq/42/cd-dvd-burning.php

annesophieheist

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 08:27:56 am »

Quote from: mills
Try Epson R280. Very good and fast DVD printer. Read the following workflow and equipment for print discs
http://www.pftq.com/pq/42/cd-dvd-burning.php

unfortunately they have discontinued the 240. Now i am looking at the artisan 50 printer. But the low price kind of makes me worry about quality. I am not used to spend as much on a printer as on a single print here in Dubai. :-(
anybody knows what the upgrade was to the 240 ?

petermarrek

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:25 am »

Have seen R280's at staples for $40.00., at that price 2 or three for spares or extra ink are a good deal.

Phil Indeblanc

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 03:41:43 pm »

the print quality will be as good as the profile. Otherwise it should be very nice, as mentioned perhaps the disc coating used can do a difference.

Be ready to be out of ink likely fast, but for just CD printing? perhaps you will see that this works well.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Farmer

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 05:36:13 pm »

http://epson.com.au/?nav=discproducer

It's not just a printer, it's also a burner, but for quality and for mass production could be the ticket.  Use Taiyo Yuden Watershield media for the most amazingly high quality media printing you've seen (sharp, clear, 4 point text for example).
Phil Brown

mills

best CD and DVD printer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 03:54:13 am »

Quote from: annesophieheist
unfortunately they have discontinued the 240. Now i am looking at the artisan 50 printer. But the low price kind of makes me worry about quality. I am not used to spend as much on a printer as on a single print here in Dubai. :-(
anybody knows what the upgrade was to the 240 ?

i think R280 is still available. I believe I saw many units in Fry's. not sure about R240 in your country.

also, you can turn it to a continuous ink system so that you can save tons of tons of money on the ink. It's really inexpensive
Mike has a very good review on such CIS and I think it's perfect for cd/dvd printing
http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/MikeSokol/review.asp
Pages: [1]   Go Up