Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SW Florida  (Read 8429 times)

Eric

SW Florida
« on: November 02, 2002, 12:49:03 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I will be visting the Everglades NP, is your place close by?[/font]

Jan Brittenson

SW Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 12:58:53 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'll be in Sanibel/DDNWR sometime in early January.  Will drive from the West Coast with no hard schedule, so I'm not sure when I'll get there, or when I'll leave.  Also plan to visit inlaws in St Petersburg, going to Everglades NP, and perhaps the keys.  Any suggestions for guidebooks useful for bird and wildlife photographers?[/font]

Jan Brittenson

SW Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 08:23:00 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Do you know if there's anywhere I can find that in Tampa/StPete, or along southern FL?  I ordered one from Amazon on the 5th, but they still haven't even shipped it and I leave tomorrow...[/font]

Danny Burk

• www.dannyburk.com
SW Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 12:27:02 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Dan,

I'll be in SW Florida the first week of March, mainly for bird photography. I've never been to Marco Island, but am planning on visiting it during this trip, as well as many of the other "favorite" locations. If you're available at that time, perhaps we can coordinate to meet.

Thanks,
Danny[/font]
Visit www.dannyburk.com for image galler

Colin

SW Florida
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 10:55:13 am »

I know there's some info about doing photography in south Florida at www.wheretophotograph.com. Look in the location reports page.

Colin

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 10:46:10 am »

Temp went above 70 yesterday and we did the Turner River Road in Big Cypress. I can highly recommend it. Turner River Road is about 5 miles east of Highway 29 off Highway 41 (Tamiami Trail). There is water all along the east side of the road. Birds, aligators, and turtles were everywhere. The 100-400 was enough lens on the D60 for nice full frame shots. On the way out, even got close enough to some Bambi's for some good shots with the 100-400. The road is not well publicized, but the bang per mile is great.

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 11:13:22 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']If any of you are coming to SW Florida (Sarasota - Marco Island) and would like to go shoot some birds, let me know.  We have both Corkscrew Sanctuary, Briggs Nature Center, and Ding Darling, but lot of birds hang out by the side of the road. I'm using a D60, and would enjoy shooting with fellow Canon users, but all are welcome. You can reach me at danbarthel@hotmail.com. I'm located way south in Marco Island. The Tamiami Trail between Marco and Miami also offers outstanding shooting opportunity.

Dan[/font]

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2002, 07:56:30 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']We are about 40 miles from Shark Valley, to the west. About 20 miles from the NP access point in Everglades City. The 10,000 island area starts where we are and extends south past Everglades City. I'd be happy to join you when you come down.[/font]

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 06:22:22 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']A good book is "Florida Wildlife Viewing Guide" published by Falcon ISBN 1-56044-353-7 It covers the whole state.[/font]

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 08:47:59 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']All the Barnes & Nobel stores down here stock it. Also check the latest Audubon Magazine for the SW special advertising. Feel free to drop me an email and we can coordinate.

Dan[/font]

glen gaffney

SW Florida
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 05:24:02 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I went to alligator farm in St Augustine florida some years ago. It was in the middle of may. There were about 300 nesting pairs. allsorts of herons. Some nesting scenarios only needed a 105mm A lot of the shots required 300mm to be effective. Have to pay about 10$ to enter but its worth it.[/font]

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 12:27:29 pm »

Another great guide to shooting in Florida is the Audubon Guide to Florida. Cheap, in color, has maps, and small enough to stuff in your bag. Good for identifying bird/plant/reptile/animal.

Dan

dbarthel

SW Florida
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2003, 10:27:38 am »

If you're coming soon beware of the cold weather. All the birds disappear. I have no idea where they hide, but they're all out of site. Seems to happen when the temp drops below 60F. At 70F and above they are everywhere.

BTW, I don't expect sympathy from folks up north. I know we're weather wimps.  Just be aware that you may be very disappointed trying to find birds in the colder weather.

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up