Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ecology Photography Contest  (Read 2148 times)

Brazeal

Ecology Photography Contest
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:16:45 am »

My name is Brian Brazeal.  I am an anthropologist, an enthusiastic photographer and a big fan of your website.  I wondered if the members of this forum might be able to take a moment from your schedules to help a brother out.  

I judge a photo contest for the California State University, Chico Museum of Anthropology.  This year’s theme is “Going Green” in line with the University’s focus on sustainability.

This is the 25th anniversary of the competition and our benefactress wants to see a good show.  

I was wondering if the photographers here might submi some of their work.  Landscapes would be great, if you could come up with an artist’s statement that emphasized sustainability.  I know that this is not a big name event and that our prize is not really so generous.  But perhaps it would be a welcome opportunity for an aspiring photographer, or a no-brainer for an established one.    

As if this weren’t bad enough, the foundation that awards the prize is patriotic to the point that we cannot even give a check to our beloved Canadian brethren.  But I think that we could probably arrange a gift certificate for an equivalent amount at B&H.  

I have attached the submission guidelines.  The new deadline will be around the beginning of August.  If you have any advice as to how to adjust the rules for entry so as to get more submissions in the future, that would be more than welcome as well.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Sincerely Yours,
Brian Brazeal
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
California State University, Chico

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »

Huh?  Final entries were 19 days ago for CD submissions.

pedro.silva

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:16:43 am »

Quote from: Brazeal
The new deadline will be around the beginning of August.  If you have any advice as to how to adjust the rules for entry so as to get more submissions in the future, that would be more than welcome as well.

Quote from: situgrrl
Huh?  Final entries were 19 days ago for CD submissions.

too much is wrong with the rules, but...
1- drop the entry fee
2- increase prize value
as it is, 20 entries pay for the single prize -- what do you need a "benefactress" for?!
3- allow web submissions
4- have a competent digital photographer go over the rules.  "high quality JPEG (no more than 300 dpi)" for electronic submissions?!  hell, even a half-competent one would do!
5- framing, shipping both ways, etc, at the photographers expense?

i wonder... did you get any submissions at all?

cheers,
pedro
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:29:22 am by pedro.silva »
Pages: [1]   Go Up