Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying lightroom problem  (Read 2448 times)

sniper

Annoying lightroom problem
« on: May 27, 2009, 06:35:44 am »

I have an annoying lightroom 2.3 problem, after editing maybe 50 or so pics I loose right click, this means I cant rotate or delete, after exiting LR and restarting it it works fine for another 50 or whatever.  It's a right royal pain, any ideas on whats causing it or a fix?, it doesn't happen all the time, mostly with large folders of images (3 - 4 gb) on win xp pro.
Thanks  Wayne

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:36:58 am »

Quote from: sniper
I have an annoying lightroom 2.3 problem, after editing maybe 50 or so pics I loose right click, this means I cant rotate or delete, after exiting LR and restarting it it works fine for another 50 or whatever.  It's a right royal pain, any ideas on whats causing it or a fix?, it doesn't happen all the time, mostly with large folders of images (3 - 4 gb) on win xp pro.
Thanks  Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I haven't seen that particular problem, but since nobody else has chimed in I'll take a wild-guess or two.  While Lightroom 2.3 fixed a lot of the memory and other resource leaks that made 2.2 not-so-stable for some of us, it's possible you're looking at another one, either in terms of primary memory or video memory.  Any of these could prevent the computer from easily being able to display right-click context menu.

As a result, I'd start trying to see if you could mitigate the problem first with by (a) making sure your video driver is up to date, and ( If you have NVIDIA-based graphics on a Windows-based PC, consider disabling NView (if it's on), you can Google NVIDIA Lightroom for enormous coverage of the compatibility issues between the two, e.g., http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400808.html

(I'm guessing you're on a Windows-PC b/c you asked about right-click, but I realize that's an assumption.)   Which flavor of Windows, how much main memory, how much video memory on your graphics card?   I'd aim for at least 3GB of main and 512M on the graphics card.  But definitely check out the driver and NVIDIA-specific solutions first.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

sniper

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »

Yes it is windows Joe, and many thanks for your reply, theres 4gb ram but I'm not sure off hand what the graphics are, they were upgraded fairly recently, so you could well be onto something with the drivers issue, I'll try that and see what happens.
Thanks again.  Wayne

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:57:13 pm »

Quote from: sniper
Yes it is windows Joe, and many thanks for your reply, theres 4gb ram but I'm not sure off hand what the graphics are, they were upgraded fairly recently, so you could well be onto something with the drivers issue, I'll try that and see what happens.
Thanks again.  Wayne

With 4GB and a relatively recent card, yeah, I'd start with the driver.  Best of luck!

--j
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h
Pages: [1]   Go Up