Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Printheads  (Read 1867 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Z3100 Printheads
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:19:01 pm »

5 out of 6 of my Z3100 printheads are out of warranty.

All due to a date expiry rather than ink usage:

ink used   /  warranty spent
  1 - Gloss enhancer-Gray           560 ml  /   55%  
  2 - Blue-Green                           120 ml  /   15%  
  3 - Magenta-Yellow                   260 ml  /   25%  
  4 - Light magenta-Light cyan   140 ml  /   15%  
  5 - Photo black-Light gray           620 ml  /   65%  
  6 - Matte black-Red                   210 ml  /   20%  

I figure from the above table that you can use about 1000ml per head before they are out of warranty.

But why the date expiration?
I called HP and they said that I must replace them (obviously), I asked why, he said dried ink could cause banding which I understand, if all the spare nozzles are used.

I am having some color issues at the moment, with profiling etc... do you think that these 'expired' heads could be the cause? I know HP will tell me to replace them, that's a given, but the HP guy said I may get color cast etc./?

Any thoughts? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:19:41 pm by ThePhotoDude »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 Printheads
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:10 am »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude

All due to a date expiry rather than ink usage:

ink used   /  warranty spent
  1 - Gloss enhancer-Gray           560 ml  /   55%  
  2 - Blue-Green                           120 ml  /   15%  
  3 - Magenta-Yellow                   260 ml  /   25%  
  4 - Light magenta-Light cyan   140 ml  /   15%  
  5 - Photo black-Light gray           620 ml  /   65%  
  6 - Matte black-Red                   210 ml  /   20%  

I figure from the above table that you can use about 1000ml per head before they are out of warranty.

But why the date expiration?
I called HP and they said that I must replace them (obviously), I asked why, he said dried ink could cause banding which I understand, if all the spare nozzles are used.

I am having some color issues at the moment, with profiling etc... do you think that these 'expired' heads could be the cause? I know HP will tell me to replace them, that's a given, but the HP guy said I may get color cast etc./?

Any thoughts? Thanks

It sounds clear above. The efficiency of the heads may point to the use or condition of the print heads. The date is more a warranty issue than use or possible use, but the only way HP can ascertain viability is to have you use up to date and in warranty heads. I know there are few problems when using expired heads or ink carts but to be in warranty ensures the perfect working order of the printer.
You only have two heads that are above 50% so they would be the ones I would suspect if any. I have seen problems with the GE/Grey and MK/Red more than the others too. You can still use out of warranty heads and inks but they will obviously not be under the tech support contract if used.
I have a bunch of very old and out of date heads and ink if you want to experiment so contact me by PM.

namartinnz

Z3100 Printheads
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:11:49 am »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude

Any thoughts? Thanks

I have heads still running after printing over 2000mls each and no problems, no colour issues. 4 of these heads are over 2 years old. So maybe another issue causing your colour problems?

Neal

EvoM

Z3100 Printheads
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:08 am »

same here, all out of warranty but seem to be printing fine! I do wonder how you can tell/judge if a head "really" needs replacing. Just due to warranty expiry just doesn't cut it in my book! Had some banding recently but a calibration fixed it so the heads must still be okay right (?).

Evom
Pages: [1]   Go Up