Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturation in CS4 more pronounced than windows picture and fax viewer, Newly profiled Monitor - Continued!  (Read 7691 times)

OpticalMedia

So Im am posting this question up again as I did not manage to solve my problems last time. I'l repeat my question. I have just profiled my Cinema Display using the Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display 2. I have setup/customized my color settings in CS4 to ProphotoRGB. I apply global editing to RAW images in Camera raw and open directly into CS4. The image looks great in both Bridge and CS4. I do a few more basic tweaks to get it just right. Now let’s say I want to use the image as my background image or save it as a JPEG to show a friend what I do is I resize the image appropriately and convert the profile to sRGB and save it as a JPEG to my desktop. SIMPLE!

Problem now is the image looks mildly desaturated/washed out and has less contrast! - both as a background picture or when simply viewed in Windows picture and fax viewer. It also seems more noticeable in the reds but I stress it is very mild (see my dogs tongue in the example picture - also the clouds at sunset and portrait). I know my computer is using my new profile settings as it comes up in the list under Cs4 settings and under color management in the control panel.

What could be the issue>?

On the other hand if I use the native sRGB profile that my computer originally uses then color in cs4 and everywhere else is 99% identical! So could someone shed some light here?

What could the rub be?!

Thanks

Michael S

tho_mas

the answer is quite simple: photoshop converts the document profile of your images to the monitor profile (in the background or "on the fly") so that they look right on your monitor.
this is full colour management.

the fax viewer reads the document profile (maybe...) but does not convert to the monitor profile. instead the system colour space is assigned (which is sRGB in your case) and this "construct" is then sent to the monitor (again without colour management).

so: ignore all applications that do not support colour management.
a webbrowser that is fully colour managed is firefox 3 (you need to install the "colour management" add on and set your monitor profile there)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:26:44 pm by tho_mas »

OpticalMedia

Quote from: tho_mas
the answer is quite simple: photoshop converts the document profile of your images to the monitor profile (in the background or "on the fly") so that they look right on your monitor.
this is full colour management.

the fax viewer reads the document profile (maybe...) but does not convert to the monitor profile. instead the system colour space is assigned (which is sRGB in your case) and this "construct" is then sent to the monitor (again without colour management).

so: ignore all applications that do not support colour management.
a webbrowser that is fully colour managed is firefox 3 (you need to install the "colour management" add on and set your monitor profile there)

So are you saying that windows picture viewer is not icc aware?

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/

Quote from: OpticalMedia
So are you saying that windows picture viewer is not icc aware?

Absolutely, your examples above are the best proof for that.

You can go to this website and download the file called Tagged Wacked RGB.jpg and prove it even more pronounced.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:49:34 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

OpticalMedia

Quote from: pegelli
Absolutely, your examples above are the best proof for that.

You can go to this website and download the file called Tagged Wacked RGB.jpg and prove it even more pronounced.

Will Im confused then as Bill in post #4 of my previous thread says otherwise - http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=33718 could you have a look and tell me what you think?

tho_mas

Quote from: OpticalMedia
Will Im confused then as Bill in post #4 of my previous thread says otherwise - http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=33718 could you have a look and tell me what you think?
windows picture viewer reads document profiles but doesn't translate to the monitorprofile (instead it translates to the system profile/ sRGB).

OpticalMedia

Quote from: tho_mas
windows picture viewer reads document profiles but doesn't translate to the monitorprofile (instead it translates to the system profile/ sRGB).
Thanks tho mas, But whats the point of it being able to read document profiles if it cannot show accurate color on a calibrated monitor? So if i am saving documents for computer use only, for a client that I assume knows nothing about color management and I want him/her to see the colours closest possible to what I see then idealy I should soft proof with with the setting Monitor RGB? Because when this is activated on my computer my images in cs4 look identical to Windows fax viewer with is what my client may use to view the pictures correct.

Do you get what im saying?

pegelli

I get what you're saying, but I think you might overestimate your ability to correct it with profiles. If your customer knows nothing about color management it's almost for sure his monitor isn't calibrated either, and probably way off on color and too bright. So the chances of your pictures showing anything resembling how you want them is close to nil. I also think 99%+ of the people out there just looking at pictures on screen don't notice colors that are off. It's only pro's and advanced amateurs (like the readers here) that are trained enough to notice. My experience is even that the average "photo viewing person" likes a bit more saturated pictures and doesn't even see blown channels.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:51:45 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

patrickfransdesmet

that my friend, is why people buy Mac's (Apple)
Apple uses colorsync on ALL its applications
This is NOT the case with Windows
Copy the image in WORD, you will have the same problem
but not when you copy in let's say Indesign windows version

It is sooo sad, indeed
but don't worry

open windows
throw away PC
close window

buy Mac
live happy ever after ...

pegelli

Quote from: patrickfransdesmet
buy Mac
live happy ever after ...

Do Mac's automatically calibrate their monitors and printers?

Really smart idea, fully color managed pictures with uncalibrated printers and screens.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:34:21 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

OpticalMedia

Quote from: pegelli
I get what you're saying, but I think you might overestimate your ability to correct it with profiles. If your customer knows nothing about color management it's almost for sure his monitor isn't calibrated either, and probably way off on color and too bright. So the chances of your pictures showing anything resembling how you want them is close to nil. I also think 99%+ of the people out there just looking at pictures on screen don't notice colors that are off. It's only pro's and advanced amateurs (like the readers here) that are trained enough to notice. My experience is even that the average "photo viewing person" likes a bit more saturated pictures and doesn't even see blown channels.

Will Im still confused as to how Bill managed to get his colors to match in windows fax viewer?As illuastrated in post #4 of my previous thread - http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=33718 could you have a look and tell me what you think? Perhaps you know of a picture viewer for windows I can use on the fly that actually uses my monitor profile?

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up