Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Air  (Read 16585 times)

canmiya

• beyond stills
Profoto Air
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »

Quote from: thomasfxlt
Had to resurrect this thread with a question about the D1. I'm considering selling my Compact 600's and getting a few of these. I use a Sekonic 758 with PW compatible wireless to pop my strobes while setting up. I realize the D1 has it's own system and it's not compatible with PW. Here's my question: If you get the special sync cable and plug a PW into the D1, will both the D1 air system and the PW system fire the strobes or is Air disabled when the PW is plugged in?

If they worked concurrently, you could fire and meter with the Sekonic and use the Air remote to set the lights.
i shoot with a pw flexxtt5 mounted on the camera and the d1 air seated atop the flex...in this configuration the 758 triggers the pw which in turn triggers the air remote....here is a link to a blog entry about it..
http://hdhd.wordpress.com/tag/profoto-d1-air/

the benefits of this set ups iinclude no special sync cables; and  similtaneous triggering of the air lights and the pw equipped profoto gear...and the ability to use the sekonic meter with the air system....
hope this helps

Bruce MacNeil

Profoto Air
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 07:26:29 pm »

These lights are lovely. I bought 2 of the 500 AIr kits. The stands could be better but I have a lot of stands.

- recycle is great: impressive when dialed down a bit.
- they are very accepting of dodgy power supplied. I have used 400 feet of cheap extension cord (4 one-hundred foot cords) to power 4 heads. Recycle was OK and no complaints from the heads.
- the modifiers work very well considering.
- the extremely low power when dialed down is super useful when shooting with a dSLR and you want to mix ambient at f2.0 or so.
- the air controllers work great and allow nice adjustments for interior portraits

All in all - I would recommend these in a heart beat and will buy a few more.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

archivue

Profoto Air
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 07:22:29 am »

one thing i don't like... you can used them totally vertical without using an extention between the stan d and the head !

i've tried the kit, and finally just bought the heads and the small bag, i didn't like the stands, i rarely use umbrellas only jumbo ones, and i prefer to have a bag for stands and a bag for heads...

just my 2 cents !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up