Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G10 underwater white-balance situation  (Read 4931 times)

downing

Canon G10 underwater white-balance situation
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:37 am »

I've got two friends who are both saying that, when shooting underwater on their G10s, they must do a manual white-balance on a card because correction in Lightroom is impossible on auto white-balance, despite shooting raw. I've seen examples, along with earlier shots at auto which seem so bear out what they are reporting. We had all assumed that the white balance setting was only a metadata item in a raw file but this experience suggests otherwise. If I didn't know better, I'd say that the camera is performing some analogue gain adjustment during the custom white-balance. There's precious little documentation about the technicalities of the G10 in-camera raw image processing out there. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:20:29 am »

Quote from: downing
I've got two friends who are both saying that, when shooting underwater on their G10s, they must do a manual white-balance on a card because correction in Lightroom is impossible on auto white-balance, despite shooting raw. I've seen examples, along with earlier shots at auto which seem so bear out what they are reporting. We had all assumed that the white balance setting was only a metadata item in a raw file but this experience suggests otherwise. If I didn't know better, I'd say that the camera is performing some analogue gain adjustment during the custom white-balance. There's precious little documentation about the technicalities of the G10 in-camera raw image processing out there. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this.

Taking a slate is a waste of time in my opinion.  I find that a diverse coral head or sandy bottom or air tank is just as useful if one must set a white balance underwater.

Generally, I set the camera WB on "auto" underwater for decent previews and know I will correct in post.  I do it by eye and with knowledge of the color of my strobes.

"Auto" WB in LR will only work in some very specific cases ... and not particularly well at all if there is a lot of water column in frame.

Are your friends shooting with strobes or ambient light?  Any filters involved?

Usually easy enough to set the WB by eye in post if you shoot RAW and use strobes or filters.

Here's one shot with strobes and a second with filters and ambient light:

ajw

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »

Hi downing

As a matter of interest what type of underwater housing are you using with your G10?

Andy

Hansen Photo

• http://www.hansenphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:17:21 am »

On a unrelated G10 topic, Canon has said there have been some issues with some of the G10 cameras (which you  may already be aware of).

See:   http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...12&id=57370

"To Owners of the PowerShot G10 digital camera

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have discovered that in rare instances, lines may appear in images captured by some units of the PowerShot G10 digital camera. Accordingly, we would like to convey the details and our service policy concerning this phenomenon.

We regret that some of our customers may have been inconvenienced by this issue and would like to offer our apologies to them. Canon will continue to strive to provide our customers with high quality products that they can use with confidence. Thank you for your kind understanding."

Just fyi...

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up