Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on customer file size for large canvas prints.  (Read 1858 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Question on customer file size for large canvas prints.
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:06:53 am »

I have my web designer working on our new web site for my new Canvas Gallery business. As part of the setup we have selected Morephotos.com for the layout and sales venue.
One of the things we are offering  our customers  is uploading there digital files for printing on canvas. I am starting to see red flags before we even start.  I am not sure of the quality and file sizes we will be receiving. Do we put a disclaimer in about a certain file size is required to print a certain canvas size? I use Genuine Fractals 6 with my 12mp D2Xs and D300 and make beautiful 24" X 36" canvas prints. Whats going to happen when people start sending me soft 4mp images and want them printed to 20" X 30" or larger. (They may look perfectly sharp on a 5" X 7" print.)
Anyone with experience with this please chime in. If the hassle is not worth the reward we can pull this offering out before we even start.
To throw more fuel on the fire we may be adding the 44" Epson 9900. Now we have customers wanting even larger prints. We need to draw the line in the sand but not sure where the line should be?
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:13:40 am by Dan Berg »

Gemmtech

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:31:22 am »

Quote from: Dan Berg
I have my web designer working on our new web site for my new Canvas Gallery business. As part of the setup we have selected Morephotos.com for the layout and sales venue.
One of the things we are offering  our customers  is uploading there digital files for printing on canvas. I am starting to see red flags before we even start.  I am not sure of the quality and file sizes we will be receiving. Do we put a disclaimer in about a certain file size is required to print a certain canvas size? I use Genuine Fractals 6 with my 12mp D2Xs and D300 and make beautiful 24" X 36" canvas prints. Whats going to happen when people start sending me soft 4mp images and want them printed to 20" X 30" or larger. (They may look perfectly sharp on a 5" X 7" print.)
Anyone with experience with this please chime in. If the hassle is not worth the reward we can pull this offering out before we even start.
To throw more fuel on the fire we may be adding the 44" Epson 9900. Now we have customers wanting even larger prints. We need to draw the line in the sand but not sure where the line should be?
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery

As the old saying goes "You can't polish a turd" you MUST set limits.  I would never bastardize my quality standards and do something I know is of lesser quality than my own standards.  Remember, it's NOT about your customer's standards or what they will accept, it's about who you are.  Rolls Royce doesn't make a car for the Chevy crowd.  Set your own quality level and the patrons who are in that group will buy, you can't be all things to all people.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:19:37 pm »

Well canvas can be pretty forgiving of low resolution images.  The weave texture itself imposes a sort of mechanical version of what GF does.  You can also process what you get to recast fuzzy images into brush-stroke-like polygonal shapes with sharper outlines, Photoshop has a lot of filters that can do this.  In fact many pro portrait photographers who offer portraits and family shots delivered on canvas deliberately reduce sharpness this way, to simulate an oil painting.

You need to put a spin on it to prep your customers.  Inform your potential customers up front of "special processing" that can turn their snapshots into large scale images with a painting-like quality.  Rather than just saying we can fix your crummy pictures.  And of course we all know that painting trumps mere photography.

But honestly, making big prints for John Q. Public is nothing I would ever want to do!

FWIW, the local Kinkade gallery has a street placard out in front of their store offering to do exactly this sort of thing.  There's a snapshot of a little girl, then next to that the spiffed-up "oil painting" version, presumably on canvas and shown in Kinkade-esque traditional framing.  So there's some market.  But really, Thomas, how déclassée!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:40:05 pm »

Thanks for the replys.
Our business is going to be set up to exclusivly print on canvas. Store front as well as web based sales. We wanted to offer as many services as possible and thougt we could offer "Print Your Photo On Canvas" for everyone. We may have to re-think this. We are putting together mailers for the professional photographers in a 50 mile radius hoping to pick up work from the pros that want to deal locally even if we are not the lowest price. We are working on offering a referral commission for this group and are hoping that will help get our foot in the door.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gllery
Pages: [1]   Go Up