Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 finally clean, but new issue  (Read 2253 times)

walter.sk

Z3100 finally clean, but new issue
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »

I had been getting red smears and blobs starting on the left side of the page and trailing almost all the way across.  I cleaned the usual gunk off the print heads, and finally got up the nerve to try Charles Gast's method of pulling the plug when the flat cover over the right-side ink reservoirs in the resting station moved out of the way.

The whole area was thickly smeared with ink.  The little foam applicators I used were overwhelmed by the mess, so I carefully folded a paper towel and wiped the area, repeating multiple times.  Then I used the applicators.  I then allowed the cover to slide back into place and cleaned gunk off the top of the cover.  I then swiped the area around the ink sponge on the left side of the printer, as well as anywhere else I saw ink.  I let the printer reinitialize, did an alignment and calibration and so far the prints are looking clean and good.  Whew!

However, I got a message in the bottom of the printer driver:  "Status and Service Unavailable.  Device may be off line or unreachable at this time."  On the Service tab in the Printer Utility, whenever I clicked on one of the tasks I got the message: "Unable to Perform the Operation."  However, I was able to print from Photoshop CS4 as well as Qimage, although I was unable to get the HP Print Preview to come up before the file was sent to the printer.

I deinstalled all the drivers and HP software and deleted the printer from XP.  I reinstalled everything, rebooted, and I still get the same messages.  The printer is connected through a router using the ethernet connection, just the way it has been since I got the printer 1 1/2 years ago.  I am also able to reach the printer through its URL (the 192.168.x.x address).

Where do I go from here?  I am grateful that I can print again, but really irritated by the buggy software.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:22:38 pm by walter.sk »

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »

Hi - I assume from your post that you are able to make clean prints. I'm curious about how the mess of ink occurred.

I'm not clear on the status of the host computer. Are you up to date with Windows Service Packs? and have you reinstalled the most recent firmware/driver updates from HP?

I'm also wondering if the host computer sees the IP address of the printer. Can you ping it?

Best regards,

David Saffir
www.davidsaffir.com

PS - one tip to consider, regardless of printer used: turn off the internal cutter when using any fine art/rag paper. Cut outside the printer with an appropriate tool, such as scissors. The dust created by the internal cutter can become a problem, whether Epson, Canon, or HP.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:38:25 pm by David Saffir »
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:22:46 am »

Quote from: David Saffir
Hi - I assume from your post that you are able to make clean prints. I'm curious about how the mess of ink occurred.

I'm not clear on the status of the host computer. Are you up to date with Windows Service Packs? and have you reinstalled the most recent firmware/driver updates from HP?

I'm also wondering if the host computer sees the IP address of the printer. Can you ping it?

Best regards,

David Saffir
www.davidsaffir.com

PS - one tip to consider, regardless of printer used: turn off the internal cutter when using any fine art/rag paper. Cut outside the printer with an appropriate tool, such as scissors. The dust created by the internal cutter can become a problem, whether Epson, Canon, or HP.

Thanks for the reply, Dave, especially the tip about the internal cutter with fine art paper.

I am using the latest driver, firmware and software available for the printer.  My Windows XP is up to date with SP-3 and all of the upgrades associated with XP.

The computer can see the IP address, as I can ping it from my browser window.  Oddly, some of the functions such as synchronizing the paper presets between the printer and the computer work, as does the information telling me how much ink is left, whether the heads or inks are out of warranty, and how much of what paper has been used.  Yet other functions produce the message that indicates lack of communication between computer and printer.

As to how the ink buildup occurred I find it odd, because I am not a "heavy" user of the printer.  I mostly print for my own  exhibitions, with the occasional print job for friends.  According to the printer's Accounting page (which somehow is accessible) I have used only 760 square feet of paper, which amounts to less than 4 100' rolls of 24" wide paper.  This amount was in 19 months of operating the printer. A friend who uses the Z3100 in her printing business uses that much paper (and ink) in a couple of weeks and has not had this problem yet.  I have kept up with the upgrades to firmware, software and driver.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:27:37 am by walter.sk »

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:38:46 pm »

Update:  I completely deinstalled and reinstalled the HP firmware, drivers and software again, and disconnected the printer from the ethernet cable and reinstalled my LAN. The printer got its URL with no problem, but the printer driver continues to have the same messages.

Well, at least I continue to have no actual problems with smearing ink any more.

By the way, your website is very appealing, and out of the ordinary in terms of the pictures that let you scroll down rather than clicking on arrows alone.  The black and textured background is elegant but the white print maintains good contrast compared with some I have seen where I find it almost impossible to read dark letters against a dark background.

jorm

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:08:08 pm »

Dear sirs

I once had some trouble similar to what you have, and found out that turning the printer off, and take out the electric cable from the printer over night solved the trouble.

Hope this help you.

Best regards
Jens Ormslev

www.123.is/jens
Pages: [1]   Go Up