Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amsterdam by Car  (Read 3334 times)

duranash

Amsterdam by Car
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:01:50 pm »

My wife & I will be in Amsterdam for a couple of days in late June.  We're having difficulty locating hotels with parking available.  It sounds like Amsterdam is very "auto unfriendly" and many websites recommend not bringing a car.  Unfortunately not an option for us.  Has anyone any recommendations regarding lodging where we can also have parking available?.....or other suggestions?  Thanks Much.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Amsterdam by Car
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:24:27 am »

Quote from: duranash
My wife & I will be in Amsterdam for a couple of days in late June.  We're having difficulty locating hotels with parking available.  It sounds like Amsterdam is very "auto unfriendly" and many websites recommend not bringing a car.  Unfortunately not an option for us.  Has anyone any recommendations regarding lodging where we can also have parking available?.....or other suggestions?  Thanks Much.

EPd's comments seconded: unless you have a genuine need to bring a car into the city, don't. If not, I'd take the train, shuttle or taxi from the airport to the hotel, and when leaving 'dam elsewhere, go directly to the car rental.

Driving in Amsterdam is not any better or worse than any other old European city with narrow streets and pedestrians and cyclists and trams and bridges.

The least painful parking is one of several Q-Park's facilities. They offer daily and weekly rates, although I'm not sure if they do that on a short-term basis.

Another option is to call your hotel directly. I'd imagine the higher-tier hotels at least know of a parking building nearby.

And to give you an idea just how car unfriendly this city is: it takes 4-6 years to get a parking permit!

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Amsterdam by Car
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:26:40 am »

I parked at the airport and took the train in.  Public transport there is unbelievably good and if it wasn't for the veedub show I was attending, I wouldn't have bothered with the van at all!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Amsterdam by Car
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:30:44 am »

Quote from: situgrrl
I parked at the airport and took the train in.  Public transport there is unbelievably good and if it wasn't for the veedub show I was attending, I wouldn't have bothered with the van at all!

Indeed - the train station at the airport is literally beneath the airport, so it's easy to reach.

duranash

Amsterdam by Car
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:16:29 pm »

Thanks for the replies.......sorry I haven't responded sooner.  Right now it looks like we'll be staying at an airport hotel and taking the train into central Amsterdam as suggested.  We were able to locate several hotels with free parking; and at a much cheaper rate too.
Thanks again.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Amsterdam by Car
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »

Quote from: duranash
Thanks for the replies.......sorry I haven't responded sooner.  Right now it looks like we'll be staying at an airport hotel and taking the train into central Amsterdam as suggested.  We were able to locate several hotels with free parking; and at a much cheaper rate too.
Thanks again.

Not the nicest place to stay. Airport hotels are still not cheap and in a horribly boring location. You could also opt to stay in another city close by Amsterdam and take the train into Amsterdam. I don't know what the purpose of your stay is but in most cases taking the train into the city will deliver you right in the center, most locations are on either walking distance or easily reached by tram/metro. You will be there in about the same time as with a car without the parking hassle. Cities like Haarlem or even Alkmaar are lovely places to stay and use as a hub for Amsterdam.

If you have to take your car into Amsterdam pay really good attention to  the parking fees. Don't come too late or you will find a wheel clamp, they will be abolished but not sure if they have yet. I haven't taken a car into the center of Amsterdam in years. I live not far from Amsterdam and do go there now and than. When I need to be in areas outside the center I take a car otherwise I will always opt for the train and walk.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:24:59 pm by Dustbak »
Pages: [1]   Go Up