Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Artisan Display Calibration Issue  (Read 5712 times)

plinden

Sony Artisan Display Calibration Issue
« on: May 23, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »

I've been happily using my sony artisan display since 2004. Lately it refuses to calibrate; "calibration error" is reported each time I try.

Is it plausible that the phosphors may have degraded to the point (over 5 years) that calibration is impossible -- i.e. the CRT is worn out for color management purposes?

Thanks for your comments,
Peter Linden

headproductions

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »

That's exactly what happened to mine. Now I have  an NEC 2690wuxi2.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:45:53 pm »

If you've been using it intgensively it's highly probable. The general expectation is that on the whole, even good CRTs have a photographically useful life span of about three years.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 03:06:11 pm »

Peter –

If you are committed to your Artisan, and are not willing to consider one of the excellent LCD monitors now available, you can have your Artisan rebuilt and brought back to original factory specs at a repair shop in Los Angeles, run by Luis Grunauer, who goes by the moniker UnkleVito. You can reach him through his eBay store or contact him via email -  unklevito “at” aol “dot” com.

Luis’s shop used to be an authorized repair center for the Artisan, and he purchased a load of parts, including picture tubes and electronics, from Sony while they were still available. So if you want to invest around $700 in your old Artisan (plus freight) Luis is the man.

In my case, I was unwilling to make such an investment in my old Artisan, and purchased a NEC 2690wuxi2. I am extremely pleased with my new monitor. Other than the fine looking display that is very easy on the eyes, my favorite feature is the Spectraview software, which makes calibration just as easy as the dedicated Artisan software did when it still worked. With Spectraview, you can calibrate the NEC to different standards, like on the Artisan. But unlike the Artisan, you can change the display calibration settings for viewing on the fly, without having to re-calibrate each time. Changing between pre-calibrated display settings only takes around 30 seconds. This allows me to use Photoshop/Lightroom in a wide gamut calibrated environment, but switch to an sRGB environment when web surfing, thus avoiding the super saturated wide gamut colors that many complain about when viewing non-color managed applications. It’s the best of both worlds.

Good luck.

John

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:14:08 am »

A few other things to consider,

1.  Are you Mac or windows?
2.  Is this the first issue (not able to calibrate?) since you installed the monitor in 2004

Why I ask,
Karl Lang wrote a fix for the artisan script, actually a few years ago, here is a link:
http://www.lumita.com/
This fix corrects many issues, one of which your monitor may or may not be affected by.  The
fix seems to work fine on Mac's but I was never able to get it to work in a XP environment, even
the most current version.    You might try this first.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I would be curious if you have any other Mac or PC (again depending on
your environment) that has never had any of the Sony software installed on it.  Take a few minutes, and
try to install the monitor on a different machine, you may be surprised by the results.  However if you get the
same error, then it's safe to assume you do have a physical issue inside the monitor.

Lastly, you might try to use another device to calibrate the monitor, like an eye one.  You will need to uninstall
all of the software from Sony first, but you still might be able to save the monitor for a while longer.

I am still using a Artisan from 2003, most likely one of the last in service from what I can read on this
forums and others.  And the technology has come a long way since the monitor was sold.  Surprisingly I
have been able to dodge several "fatal errors" over the years, mainly by upgrading my machine.  

The single biggest issue on the Artisan I know of is the time lag error.  Over time, the script will take
longer and longer to run, then eventually just error out like you mentioned.  This particular error has nothing
to do with the monitor, it's the script and the timing of what the script is looking for.  Over  time the monitor
slows down considerably on certain responses and thus falls outside of the set times the script looks for, Karl's fix
changed some of the parameters to allow for the older monitors to keep working.  What is strange, is that if
you take the same monitor and move it to a machine that has not had the software installed before, most times
the problem goes away for another year or so.  

IMO the easiest fix would be to hack the software to allow the current setting, what ever was your last good reading to
stay longer than the set 30 days.  Yours like mine is way past 3 years old and so is long outside of the original specs
that the script was written for.  

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

plinden

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:16:12 pm »

Thank you all for your comments.

I decided to order the NEC 2690wuxi, and now await it's delivery.

After reading your post Paul, I tried your suggestion using the Lumita patch and IT WORKED!

I guess I'll keep the artisan as a second display so long as it keeps plugging away.

Peter Linden

David Duchesne

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »

I have an artisan which I bought from Vito in LA.  I am curious as to how the 2 compare side by side.  Is the artisan generally brighter then the NEC.  I too am considering the NEC but am not sure if it will improve my ability to see color accurately.  The NEC has a much wider gamut but can you print it.  I seem to think my artisan can get close to my 9880 output.
David Duchesne.

Quote from: plinden
Thank you all for your comments.

I decided to order the NEC 2690wuxi, and now await it's delivery.

After reading your post Paul, I tried your suggestion using the Lumita patch and IT WORKED!

I guess I'll keep the artisan as a second display so long as it keeps plugging away.

Peter Linden

LA30

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:05:55 pm »

They typically last 3-4 yrs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up