Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two more from Udaipur  (Read 1780 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Two more from Udaipur
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

Jeremy

[attachment=13928:ll.jpg]          [attachment=13929:ll_2.jpg]

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Two more from Udaipur
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:28:07 pm »

Jeremy, They're both fine shots. The only criticism I'd have is that the color shot looks as if it has a blue color cast. I'm assuming that the leg of the bench the person inside the structure is sitting on, and the wall in front of him are actually white instead of blue. When I take the picture into Photoshop, bring up Levels, select the middle gray dropper, and click on the inside of the bench leg I get this:

[attachment=13930:ll_2.jpg]

The colors may not work out properly if your monitor isn't calibrated, but let me know if you agree that the bench and wall are supposed to be white.

Unfortunately I can see that the colors I'm getting back from what I just posted aren't the same colors I see when I make the conversion here. Th red roof has lost too much of its red. If I'm right about the color cast you should be able to make the conversion there and get the proper results.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:32:03 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Two more from Udaipur
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:28:58 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, They're both fine shots. The only criticism I'd have is that the color shot looks as if it has a blue color cast. I'm assuming that the leg of the bench the person inside the structure is sitting on, and the wall in front of him are actually white instead of blue.
You're absolutely right: I'm embarrassed that I hadn't corrected the white balance properly myself. I think you've slightly overdone it, since I don't remember the walls being quite as warm, but I'll experiment a bit more. I really must get myself a grey card and start using it.

Thanks

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Two more from Udaipur
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:40:50 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
You're absolutely right: I'm embarrassed that I hadn't corrected the white balance properly myself. I think you've slightly overdone it, since I don't remember the walls being quite as warm, but I'll experiment a bit more. I really must get myself a grey card and start using it.

Thanks

Jeremy

Well, the one I posted up here doesn't look like the conversion I did locally. Just to be sure I downloaded what I'd uploaded and the download was warmer than the copy before the upload. Even though I've been doing computer science for 30 years, I really haven't any idea why that's happening, but it's not the first time I've noticed it.

There's no need for embarassment. Those two shots are good. Just a bit more post-processing and they'll both be very good.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Two more from Udaipur
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

Well, the one I posted up here doesn't look like the conversion I did locally. Just to be sure I downloaded what I'd uploaded and the download was warmer than the copy before the upload. Even though I've been doing computer science for 30 years, I really haven't any idea why that's happening, but it's not the first time I've noticed it.
sRGB? I've been reading about colour since I came to digital photography about five years ago and I'm still confused.

There's no need for embarassment. Those two shots are good. Just a bit more post-processing and they'll both be very good.
It's forgetting something as basic as white balance that embarrasses me!

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up