Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mushrooms on Tree Trunk  (Read 2600 times)

dalethorn

Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »

I hope I don't get killed on this one - the original had a camera-shake blur effect, and I worked on this for quite awhile to hide as much of that as I could. Normally I would have several captures from the session, and pick the sharpest and clearest to save, and for reasons I couldn't predict, this was the best (or least offensive) of the lot.  There might be a way to further sharpen this without exaggerating the existing blur, but so far I haven't found it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:02:52 am »

Well, the poison ivy is a nice touch!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:13:40 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl

Mike.

If Dale touched any, he may beg to differ.
[size=12p

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:08:02 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl

Especially when used as field-expedient bathroom tissue...

IMO this image's technical shortcomings outweigh its aesthetic merits. The headache I get from the blur outweighs any positive response the image might have gotten otherwise. Try reshooting with the aid of a tripod, and frame more tightly so that less cropping is necessary.

dalethorn

Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:27:33 am »

Quote from: AndrewKulin
If Dale touched any, he may beg to differ.

By pure luck, I didn't.  I wonder whether poison ivy comes in different configurations, since the photos I've seen in books differ, and usually don't match what's in the forests.

dalethorn

Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:32:52 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
IMO this image's technical shortcomings outweigh its aesthetic merits.

That may well be the case.  I've had a lot of experience fixing bad images, and things like this are an interesting challenge for me, for practice if nothing else.  I'm sure I can print it at approx. 5x7 in., and display at arm's length for wall filler.  It's good to keep a few of these around as reminders in any case.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 12:51:51 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
There might be a way to further sharpen this without exaggerating the existing blur, but so far I haven't found it.

Dale, Actually, there's a simple solution: grab a tripod and go back and re-shoot it. Unlike people on the street, fungi don't usually walk off.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dalethorn

Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 04:50:25 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Dale, Actually, there's a simple solution: grab a tripod and go back and re-shoot it. Unlike people on the street, fungi don't usually walk off.

I wonder if the problem occurred because the camera was well stabilized on the monopod, yet the IS was on on the camera. There shouldn't be a problem shooting something like this handheld in the middle of the day, with a good IS lens (Panasonic), an effective focal length of 90 mm, and a shutter speed of 1/100 second. Even without IS/VR that should work.

John R

Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:25:12 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
I wonder if the problem occurred because the camera was well stabilized on the monopod, yet the IS was on on the camera. There shouldn't be a problem shooting something like this handheld in the middle of the day, with a good IS lens (Panasonic), an effective focal length of 90 mm, and a shutter speed of 1/100 second. Even without IS/VR that should work.
Interesting observation. In my experience having the "shake reduction" on when using a tripod does indeed cause the image to go blurry. I have tried this many times using a tripod and couldn't quite figure out what was going on. I bought a cable release and still blurry images. I finally got some feedback on the Pentax site and read the manual which does indeed indicate that one should turn off the 'shake reduction if using a tripod. Of course, like you, I often get up in the moment and forget!

JMR

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Mushrooms on Tree Trunk
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »

Quote from: John R
Interesting observation. In my experience having the "shake reduction" on when using a tripod does indeed cause the image to go blurry. I have tried this many times using a tripod and couldn't quite figure out what was going on. I bought a cable release and still blurry images. I finally got some feedback on the Pentax site and read the manual which does indeed indicate that one should turn off the 'shake reduction if using a tripod. Of course, like you, I often get up in the moment and forget!

JMR

I really noticed this effect once with my 17-55/2.8 mounted on a tripod and using the live view zoomed in (10x).  I was wondering why the image was moving around (not shaking but rather drifting around).  When I examined the camera I saw IS was on, turned it off and the drifting stopped.  And I think (would have to check canon site or lens "manual") that the 17-55/2.8 generation of IS is supposed to be advanced enough iteration that it can be used on a tripod.  Apparently not.

Andrew
[size=12p
Pages: [1]   Go Up