Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: San Francisco Camera stores?  (Read 4075 times)

Roger Calixto

San Francisco Camera stores?
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:09:32 pm »

Hi all,

The end of next month I'll be in the bay area for a couple days before heading to the Canadian Rockies. Plan on shooting elk, bears and hopefully some eagles =). I've decided to buy 1 of three lenses and they're much cheaper in the US than here in Europe. So I'm going for:

Canon 100-400 L
Canon 300 f/4 + 1.4 converter
or Bigma 50-500

I've read a lot about them and the 100-400 seems to be what I want but there are so many comments about "good" copies vs bad ones that I've decided to try all three and choose on the spot. That poses one big problem. I need to go somewhere that will have all 3 in stock!

I'll be in Fremont (south bay) but will have a car, so I can go anywhere.

Comments, suggestions or pointers much appreciated (on lens selection AND locations)

I bow to thy wisdom LL....
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:19:24 pm »

Quote from: kingtutt
The end of next month I'll be in the bay area for a couple days before heading to the Canadian Rockies.

Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto (south and west of Fremont) is one of the better known photo stores in the bay area.  While I do not live there, I have visited them a number of times when I'm up that way.

http://www.kspphoto.com/activepages/main.html

You might contact them in advance to make sure they can help you.

http://www.kspphoto.com/activepages/to_reach_us.html

Best,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:39:14 pm by PaulS »

stever

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:50:07 pm »

the other well stocked store with prices that might be slightly better than K&S (but not necessarily) is San Jose Camera.  I believe these are the 2 best stocked stores in the Bay Area.  K&S is the largest and has the best service

from my recent experience with a sample of 2, i think that Canon MAY be making more consistent 100-400s now.  i greatly prefer it to the 300.

unless you can have the store ship the lens to yourself in Canada, you will have to pay the newly increased California sales tax.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »

Quote from: stever
from my recent experience with a sample of 2, i think that Canon MAY be making more consistent 100-400s now.  i greatly prefer it to the 300.

I've rented the 100-400 (to evaluate before buying).  I found the zoom range to be very convenient but the "push-pull" zoom ring drove me nuts. Obviously this is a matter of taste and this may not bother you.

The 300 f/4 (which I have borrowed) is generally a very decent lens.  But when using the Canon 1.4x teleconverter it is right on the edge of the autofocusing ability of NON 1 series bodies like the 40D or 50D or Digital Rebels.  Also, it is not as flexible as the 100-400 zoom.

I've no experience with the Bigma so no opinion.

Paul

peteh

• http://
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:33:05 pm »

You could also try IN San Fran these guys also.http://www.gassers.com/
Hope this file is not too big to upload here but here is shot of some deer I took with a 100-400 Canon lens.It was shot at 1/320 at F 6.8 and I missed the focus on Momma dears head and it focused on her butt !That's why it's a little unsharp.
I like the 100-400 and push pull does not bother me at all.[attachment=13917:Deer_and_baby_copy.jpg]

dseelig

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »

there is a calumet there and I believe a pro photo supply. In regards to the 100-400 it is not sharp at 400 wide open. David

peteh

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:03 pm »

Maybe that's why the shot of the deer are un-sharp, I shot it at 400mm.

stever

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 12:34:54 am »

the 100-400 may not be as sharp wide open as at f8 (although i think later lenses are close), but a 300 f4 +1.4x won't be either -- the extenders introduce extra mechanical tolerances affecting focus, add noticeable barrel distortion, and seriously degrade edge sharpness - if you're using a 5D2 or 50D with micro adjust, the focus issue is taken care of if you calibrate the lens - other cameras are pot luck

practically, i find the 100-400 better than a 300 +1.4 and did not have trouble getting used to the zoom

dseelig

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:40:40 am »

In regards t your nice deer shot and 400 on the 100 400 it was shot at f 6.3 not wide open which if you read what I said the 100 -400 is not sharp wide open which means f 5.6
David PS I do really do like the shot.

Roger Calixto

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 01:44:35 am »

Excellent suggestions. Thanks.

I'll call ahead to those brick and mortar and check selection. BTW, how much is California tax now? Was 8.5% right?
--------------

peteh

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:56:02 am »

Thanks for the comment on the shot. I was using- way back- a Nikon 43-86 zoom and got used the push pull design from that lens.But the 100 - 400 is on a MUCH larger scale ! Not an easy lens to hold for long at 400mm on a IDS Mark 2 body and is was shot at Bodega Bay so it was very windy that day.

peteh

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 02:00:45 am »

Excellent suggestions. Thanks.

I'll call ahead to those brick and mortar and check selection. BTW, how much is California tax now? Was 8.5% right?

Now it's 9.5%

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:22:08 am »

Quote from: peteh
Maybe that's why the shot of the deer are un-sharp, I shot it at 400mm.

Meh.
People underestimate how difficult it is to effectively use a long lens. You're seeing some motion blur, even at the butt-end of mama deer which otherwise would be sharp. The 100-400 is optically better than it deserves to be, but it's hard to see that unless you use excellent technique. Corner sharpness is mediocre wide open on full-frame cameras, but center sharpness is actually very good, and even the corners are decent from f:8 and good from f:11. It has Canon's first generation IS, which can't be used on a tripod and only buys you about two stops when hand-holding. Even if you lock it down tightly on a tripod, there's still enough play in the collar to hamper sharpness, so it's very difficult to get a really sharp exposure at 1/8th to about 1/125th sec. shutter speeds at the long end of the zoom range.

Despite all that, even on an older Eos-1Ds I'd occasionally get frames that were remarkably sharp, which told me that the issue wasn't the optical limitations of the lens, but my poor technique. The 100-400 zoom really rewards using a fast enough shutter speed, which is a lot easier with newer D-SLR's that still produce great images at ISO 800. I also find that for landscapes shot at the long end, taking multiple frames is important because frequently one frame is much sharper than all the others.

Roger Calixto

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:20:26 pm »

I've never used a Push-Pull design and I really want to feel it and see if I like it.

Comparing prices now, via Amazon, I can see there is a minimal difference between buying in CA and here in Germany. The difference was ~15% but I forgot about tax (I've gotten used to the EU tax included scheme) which puts it a only about 6%. The EU warranty is definitely worth the 80 euro (in this case) ...

Thanks for your input though!!

{}
KT
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:21:02 pm by kingtutt »
--------------

peteh

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:21:06 am »

I've never used a Push-Pull design and I really want to feel it and see if I like it.

Comparing prices now, via Amazon, I can see there is a minimal difference between buying in CA and here in Germany. The difference was ~15% but I forgot about tax (I've gotten used to the EU tax included scheme) which puts it a only about 6%. The EU warranty is definitely worth the 80 euro (in this case) ...

Thanks for your input though!!

{}
KT
Some people say the push pull design sucks in dust to the camera.I know that you can feel the wind when you push- pull the lens in and out ,but have not seen my mirror or sensor get any more dust than normal with this len.
The lens gets almost 2X longer at 400mm.Read this review on the lens if you have not already.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews...ens-Review.aspx
Good Luck getting a nice lens.You should adapt to the push- pull very easily.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:31:40 am by peteh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up