Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 LCD front panel  (Read 2384 times)

DotCom Editor

Z3100 LCD front panel
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:47 am »

This is very strange, and I can't solve it. Perhaps someone with more brains than I can supply an answer.

After xx (I don't know the exact number) minutes of inactivity, the LCD front panel has always automatically turned off. Normally, it turns back on when I print or press a button. But, now it stays lit all the time. We had a power outage a couple of days ago, and since then the LCD panel stays lit continuously. Yes, the "sleep time" on the printer is still set for 30 minutes. I've rebooted the Z3100 a couple of times. I've also shut off the power, including the mains switch on the rear next to the power cord. I've even disconnected the power cord. Any ideas?

And on a separate note, does anyone remove and shake the ink cartridges after they've been sitting for weeks or months?

As always, thank you.

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:17:51 am »

I thought I was crazy, but mine has started doing the same thing. It seemed to have happened right around when I updated the firmware and drivers a few weeks back. Sometimes I find it off, but it's almost always on now. Can't figure it out, I just thought I was coincidentally seeing it after it had run a maintenance cycle or something.

--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

Geoff Wittig

Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:56:55 pm »

Quote from: DotCom Editor
This is very strange, and I can't solve it. Perhaps someone with more brains than I can supply an answer.

After xx (I don't know the exact number) minutes of inactivity, the LCD front panel has always automatically turned off. Normally, it turns back on when I print or press a button. But, now it stays lit all the time. We had a power outage a couple of days ago, and since then the LCD panel stays lit continuously. Yes, the "sleep time" on the printer is still set for 30 minutes. I've rebooted the Z3100 a couple of times. I've also shut off the power, including the mains switch on the rear next to the power cord. I've even disconnected the power cord. Any ideas?

And on a separate note, does anyone remove and shake the ink cartridges after they've been sitting for weeks or months?

As always, thank you.

1) Yep. My Z3100 also started displaying eccentric behavior of the on/off button on the LCD panel after the last firmware update. I can still reliably turn the thing off using the rocker switch on the the back, but the little illuminated button on the LCD is intermittently functional at best. On the brighter side, all the usual paper load/set buttons still work fine. Sigh. HP's driver/firmware has always had more than its fair share of gremlins; this looks like another one.

2) I never bother removing or shaking cartridges. I believe on the Z printers the cartridges are pressurized, and some of those funky maintenance noises the printer makes when sitting idle are due to the ink being agitated to avoid settling.

rdonson

Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:21 pm »

In the last month I installed the latest firmware and drivers and my Z3100 (base model) still goes to sleep without a problem.
Regards,
Ron

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »

I've had the latest firmware since it came out and have had no issues.

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »

No issues here .... but future issues becken

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:22:27 pm »

No problems here, with Z3100 44" PS GP and 7.0.0.3 firmware

walter.sk

Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:32 pm »

If you go into the menus on the front panel there is a choice labeled "Setup."  Enter that menu and scroll down to Front Panel Options.  Select that and one choice will be something like Sleep Time.  Check that and you will get choices from 30 minutes on up.  You may have to reset it to 30 minutes, which I think is the default.

I'm not sure whether that is the cause of your problem, but it's a good place to start.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:26:50 pm »

Hi,
I had the similar issue come up after having an issue with APS.

Anyway, in my case, if I have my printer setup with a Bonjour connection active, the front LCD never sleeps, as it once did.

So I turned off the Bonjour networking, and use lpd for connections, and the printer "sleeps" just fine.

Hope this helps.

So long for now, TOM

PS: If you don't want to try the above, try this first: Shut off the printer and unplug it and the network, reconnect after about a minute, and see if anything has changed.

Quote from: DotCom Editor

As always, thank you.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Z3100 LCD front panel
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:52 pm »

I always have Bonjour running.
Pages: [1]   Go Up