Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: K7 arrival  (Read 13269 times)

Er1kksen

K7 arrival
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »

Quote from: tetsuo77
If the high grade Pentax 35mm lenses work as well as they did on the Samsung sensor [specially, that 35 Macro combo], this looks like a winner bar none. Add to that the DNG format, and that´s it.

I wouldn't be too worried about that; it is the Samsung sensor, just with some tweaks for improved performance. And as a regular user of the older Samsung sensor in the K20D, I agree, it is that good.

tetsuo77

K7 arrival
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:01 pm »

Quote from: Er1kksen
I wouldn't be too worried about that; it is the Samsung sensor, just with some tweaks for improved performance. And as a regular user of the older Samsung sensor in the K20D, I agree, it is that good.

Just one question.
There are, suppossedly, some units that deliver a high black noise on the red channel when being forced the DR enhancer. Have you experienced that? The few shots I´ve done with the K20d never had too much of a demanding lighting conditions but some fluorescent harsh light, and I never had to use the DR enhancer.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
K7 arrival
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 07:45:21 pm »

While I do not intend to buy a K7 at this time, I must say that pairing this camera body with one of the Limited Pentax lenses is tempting. One of the best lenses I have ever had was the 77 Limited. This is the only other lens I have ever owned which rivaled Leica in the 35mm format.

Er1kksen

K7 arrival
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

I've really never made much use of the DR enhancing feature either, but I do know that the K20D sensor has a fairly high level of black noise (relatively speaking), so while it may be quite competitive for normal exposures, it's really not the best for long exposures. However, it's been demonstrated that this is a result of one of the chip components used and not of the photosites themselves (the variable gain amplifier, I believe) so if better amplifiers are used on this iteration of the samsung chip the black noise should be greatly reduced.

markpsf

K7 arrival
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 07:34:18 pm »

Just a small correction Kenneth.

There is a "big two" not a "big three"

Sony leads the pack that will probably never catch Nikon and Canon.

Panasonic has made huge strides in the past couple of years, particularly in the point and shoot department but is also getting attention with the G1 and GH1.

If the K7 is a first rate camera that even comes very close to delivering on its promise, Pentax will challenge Olympus and Panasonic in the DSLR territory.

The trick is also developing a solid niche. When it comes to quality small prime lenses, loved by many, like me, who primarily do candid street type photography, it has a solid niche that may be significantly strengthened if the K7 delivers. Reasonable size, fast focusing, quiet shutter, great small lenses.

Nikon and Canon won't lose any sleep worrying about the K7; the others might.

I'm not worried about Pentax going out of business...just hoping the camera will be as good as I expect.

Mark

Quote from: Kenneth Sky
I handled this camera at the Henry's Photo Show this weekend and can find only 2 nitpicks. The camera is so solid and compact that every available space has a button or switch so stray placement of thumb or fingers will cause accidental triggering of functions. The second relates to the first -height is just a bit small to allow my pinky to fit comfortably on the grip. It's extremely well made with a great feature set. Although I'm invested into the Sony system, I was extremely disappointed in how few people were interested in this camera. Unfortunately Pentax has come to this level of the DSLR market too late to have much of an impact. The "big three" have such a large market share that I wonder how the rest will survive. This camera proves that it would be a pity if the small players were lost.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up