Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output sharpening question  (Read 5480 times)

jljonathan

Output sharpening question
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:20 pm »

I have tried the output sharpening in CR for print (glossy paper) and can see the effects it applies to files. I don't see any effects applied when trying the screen sharpening. Can someone explain the use of screen sharpening. Would it be used for web only displayed files? And, why can't I see any effect when comparing a dupe file which has none with one that has high?
Thanks
Jonathan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:06:06 pm »

Screen sharpening effect will be more subtle compared to glossy/matte sharpening. Screen mode is intended to be used for approximately web-sized images and optimized for LCD displays of about 100 dpi resolution. Very different than a high-res print on paper.

You should be able to see an effect when comparing screen sharpening enabled (in any of the modes) compared to when output sharpening is completely disabled. Try doing a diff in PS. (i.e., open the two results as two layers, then set the top layer to Difference blend mode).
Eric Chan

jljonathan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:45:06 pm »

I tried the difference test and see absolutely no effect, only a black screen. If I switch off and on the copy layer with screen sharpening, I can't see anything happen at 200%/
Jonathan

John McDermott

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:12:08 pm »

I believe that you will find that scrren sharpening is only apparent when you zoom to 100%.
John E. McDermott

jljonathan

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:57:45 pm »

As I noted, I don't see any effect at 200% either.
Maybe this isn't the proper method to accomplish what I'm trying to do anyway. I have dng files that have been corrected/finished in CR, saved and the changes show up in the thumbnails. I now want to end up with sharpened web ready jpgs with watermarks, so that these can be sent to the web designer to post. The last batch were opened in camera raw and I set the sharpening to screen/high and hit Done. Then, I opened them in PS, added the watermarks and ran Dr. Brown's 123 process using 800 pixels width and bicubic-sharper to make the jpgs.
Any comments, corrections or suggestions would be appreciated.
Jonathan

01af

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:18:08 am »

Quote from: jljonathan
As I noted, I don't see any effect at 200 % either.
Of course you don't, as long as you are applying the sharpening-for-screen to the full-size image. Have the images scaled down to web size first, then apply output sharpening.

By the way---Eric, are you listening?---for preparing web images, it would be helpful if Camera Raw allowed free scaling of images rather than providing just a few arbitrary choices.

-- Olaf

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »

Olaf, yes, that would be nice to have ...  
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up