Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Care Question  (Read 1760 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
LCD Care Question
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »

During the day I have a screen saver goin' and after about ten minutes the computer goes to sleep and the screen goes black...I'm wondering if it's best to completely turn off my new monitor each night or is it ok if it is on but the computer is asleep so the screen remains dark...is it aging the monitor somehow to leave it on like that at night?

Finally bought a new monitor, NEC 2690...so far so good...now I'm finally seeing what you're all talking about when you mention saturated color...I spend most of my time in photoshop, lightroom, so no big deal...I find firefox better at handling the cm duties than safari...still get saturated colors in safari...

oh, and I was a bit disappointed to see that my nik plug ins like Color Efex Pro isn't color managed...very saturated colors while working in its window via photoshop...I guess silver efex pro will be the same...

Just wanted to thank all of you who helped me out with my ten thousand monitor questions...recently, digitaldog, Czornyj (thanks for your kind help and understanding with the monitors and spectraview that goes back to August 2008), thomask, francois, Nill Toulme, johndeck, and a whole bunch of others...thanks for being here to answer questions...

Oh, and for you europeans...I bought my 2690 here in France, bought the spectaview in the US via my sister...it works as advertised...no problems...saved a big chunk of change...shame on you NEC europe for doubling the price of monitors for software and a puck...I did buy the original 2690 not version 2 if that matters...

adios amigos...

M

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
LCD Care Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:24 pm »

The backlight lamps have a long but finite service life. Turning them off overnight when not using the monitor will make it last longer.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
LCD Care Question
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 03:33:31 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
The backlight lamps have a long but finite service life. Turning them off overnight when not using the monitor will make it last longer.

Hi Jonathan...I guess I thought that once my computer goes to sleep, a macbook pro, and the monitors go dark, both the laptop and my external monitor, that no lamps are working...the monitor is still on though, energy saver mode...

I do have it attached to its own power strip so clicking it on and off is no big deal...thought that maybe powering the monitor on and off might do more wear and tear than just leaving it in its energy saver mode...

M

ps...a while back I remember you writing about some serious health issues...how you feelin' these days...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:34:16 am by momo2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up