Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting Tethered  (Read 2695 times)

Craig Stocks

Shooting Tethered
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:46 pm »

Regarding today's post on shooting tethered - I've found a great combination.  I use a 1DsIII, which has two card slots (one CF and one SD).  Eye-Fi sells a 2GB SD card that includes wireless capability to automatically transmit files to your computer as soon as they're taken.  I simply configure the camera to send raws to the CF card, and write small JPEGs to the SD card, and configure Lightroom to auto-import from the selected folder.  Voila - I get a good sized jpeg on my laptop in about 2 seconds!  

The best part - the Eye-Fi cards start as low as $50.  Best Buy lists a 4GB version for $80.  If you're shooting away from home, you will probably also need a wireless router.  Eye-Fi recommended (and I'm using) a small D-Link wireless router that can be powered from the USB port, so you don't need any AC power.

I believe you can also get an adapter to use an SD card in a CF slot so you can also use it in a CF slot.

vandevanterSH

Shooting Tethered
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »

Interesting topic.  I have used my Macbook Pro in the "field" and even with the GF acting as a tech, it was a PITA.  Does the UMPC have a display that would be useful for critical focusing if the Phase had live view?  Also how much of a problem is ambient light, again for critical focusing?

Steve

michael

Shooting Tethered
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »

The Eye-Fi card is a solution for some, but not for a MF backs, since none that I know of have a dual card configuration the way that the Canon, Nikon and Sony do.

Phase P+ backs do have a form of Live Preview, but not on Windows machines, only Macs. That's why many are hoping for a Mac tablet.

The screen on the Kohjinsha, as mentioned several times in the article and video, is fine for judging sharpness in all except direct sunlight, and then a dark cloth or hood of some sort is all that's needed.

Michael

Craig Stocks

Shooting Tethered
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:47 pm »

I should have been more clear.  In theory it would work with any camera / back, but the transmit times to transmit a large image would be way too long to be practical.  I'm typically only transmitting a 400K small JPEG.  

You do need to be able to write both raw and JPEGs files but, you don't need two cards.  The Eye-Fi appears to completely ignore raw, or any file format other than a JPEG.

michael

Shooting Tethered
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:06 pm »

Medium format backs do not not generate simultaneous JPGs, or any JPGs for the matter. And, obviously sending a 350MB file wirelessly isn't in the cards – so to speak.

Michael

vgogolak

• http://
Shooting Tethered
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »

Quote from: michael
Phase P+ backs do have a form of Live Preview, but not on Windows machines, only Macs. That's why many are hoping for a Mac tablet.

Michael

Michael
Why won't Live Preview work on windows? Are you referring to the FW? My impression was that C1 v4.9 would allow LP thru FW so any C1 and FW combo SHOULD work, n'est pas?

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up