Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Bankruptcy?  (Read 33356 times)

ThierryH

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2009, 09:17:58 am »

old habits have a long life, David: I have experienced the very same. Once something is in the mind of people, even by proving them the contrary, you will have a hard time to get it out.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
I have repeated this information may times on this board and I wonder why it doesn't sink in?

David

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »

Here we go again!  This is as much misinformation as the title of this thread.

The H camera is and always has been built in Goteborg by many of the same people who built the V system.  Fuji have absolutely no involvement with the body whatsoever, software, firmware or otherwise.

The viewfinder is built by Fuji as it is an optical part, as are the lenses except for the shutter which is designed and manufactured in Goteborg.

The lenses are designed also by us in Goteborg.  We have our own lens designer.  The HTS for example is exclusively built in Goteborg.

The Fuji GX645 is built by us in Goteborg.

As for 'Hasselblad of old is gone', the engineer who designed the H shutter system has been at the company for over 35 years.

I have repeated this information may times on this board and I wonder why it doesn't sink in?

Best,

David
Hi David
I stand corrected.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Carsten W

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2009, 05:42:17 am »

Here we go again!  This is as much misinformation as the title of this thread.

The H camera is and always has been built in Goteborg by many of the same people who built the V system.  Fuji have absolutely no involvement with the body whatsoever, software, firmware or otherwise.

The viewfinder is built by Fuji as it is an optical part, as are the lenses except for the shutter which is designed and manufactured in Goteborg.

The lenses are designed also by us in Goteborg.  We have our own lens designer.  The HTS for example is exclusively built in Goteborg.

The Fuji GX645 is built by us in Goteborg.

As for 'Hasselblad of old is gone', the engineer who designed the H shutter system has been at the company for over 35 years.

David, is the currently sold Fuji the equivalent of an H3DII, or of some other model? Does it have DAC?
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

georgl

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2009, 08:49:25 am »

"As for 'Hasselblad of old is gone', the engineer who designed the H shutter system has been at the company for over 35 years."

Who is manufacturing the electronics and mechanical parts of the H/GX645? The materials, fittings, buttons etc. feels very Fuji-like to me.

We wouldn't come up (=annoy you ;-) with this stuff when the H1/2/3 would feel like a AF-200series Hasselblad and not like a Fuji who is "accidently" in a "partnership" with Hasselblad and at the same time, employees in Göteborg went from over 400 to 60...
I've seen only basic assembly work in Göteborg (new building), nothing like the machining and manufacturing-procesess in "old Hasselblad-times".

A Bentley Continental might be a fine car too, assembled in GB (even the engine!), but it's still a Volkswagen with German parts and has very little to do with an Arnage...

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2009, 01:48:46 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
David, is the currently sold Fuji the equivalent of an H3DII, or of some other model? Does it have DAC?

The current Fuji GX645 is the equivalent of an H2F.... I think but would have to check Monday.  Suffice to say it is only available in Japan and we hardly manufacture any as most Japanese prefer to buy the Hasselblad branded models.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:59:23 pm by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2009, 01:59:03 pm »

Quote from: georgl
"As for 'Hasselblad of old is gone', the engineer who designed the H shutter system has been at the company for over 35 years."

Who is manufacturing the electronics and mechanical parts of the H/GX645? The materials, fittings, buttons etc. feels very Fuji-like to me.

We wouldn't come up (=annoy you ;-) with this stuff when the H1/2/3 would feel like a AF-200series Hasselblad and not like a Fuji who is "accidently" in a "partnership" with Hasselblad and at the same time, employees in Göteborg went from over 400 to 60...
I've seen only basic assembly work in Göteborg (new building), nothing like the machining and manufacturing-procesess in "old Hasselblad-times".

A Bentley Continental might be a fine car too, assembled in GB (even the engine!), but it's still a Volkswagen with German parts and has very little to do with an Arnage...

Like any modern company we have a wide range of suppliers from all over the globe.  

The 200 series V systems were the least successful of all Hasselblad cameras and complex / costly to build and as equal to repair.

The changes in Goteborg happened long after the H program started.  Fuji is not 'accidentally' in partnership with Hasselblad.  We chose them for their capabilities in optical manufacturing.

Once again with a tired yawn I state that Fuji has no involvement with the H body, software, hardware or firmware or anythingware.

They carry out the final manufacture of the Viewfinder, but for example, some parts come from the UK.  The software for the metering is suprise suprise, written in Goteborg.

The 'machining and manufacturing' in old Hasselblad times meant the V and H System were not cost effective to build.  Now they are.

So would you prefer a New kind of Hasselblad or no Hasselblad at all?  That is your choice.  If it is the latter, then nobody is forcing you to buy one.

I apologise for my cynical tone, but I continue to go over the same ground (as I have done in particular with you georgl over on getdpi) with the same answers to the same points.

I don't expect everybody to like us, but right now we provide the tightest, integrated most comprehensive medium format (whatever that is) system on the market, with ten lenses, two zooms a bunch of accessories, a Tilt Shift solution that works and the ability to continue to use your beloved Zeiss lenses with exposure metering and focus confirmation.  We can still improve and I am not that arrogant to say it is perfect.  But look at what we produced only three years ago and what we do now.  For any technology company that is impressive.

Good weekend to all,

David.

David Grover

amsp

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2009, 02:32:39 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Chessum's shot is truly bad. He is a good shooter, very good, but Christ that is awful.  Its like something the bus boy would have shot with his P&S and posted to his FaceBook page:  "Look who was in the kitchen last night!"

Agreed, that's beyond terrible. If anyone new to the business had taken that shot they'd never work again.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2009, 02:49:56 pm »

<snip>
So would you prefer a New kind of Hasselblad or no Hasselblad at all?  That is your choice.  If it is the latter, then nobody is forcing you to buy one.

I apologise for my cynical tone, but I continue to go over the same ground (as I have done in particular with you georgl over on getdpi) with the same answers to the same points.
<snip>

Most people don't like change, even if it's for the better. You'll always get people saying the new Hassy is nothing compared to new Hassy. Film to digital. Old Mustang compared to the new Mustang. Well, the old Mustang is better

Carsten W

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2009, 03:33:03 pm »

The current Fuji GX645 is the equivalent of an H2F.... I think but would have to check Monday.  Suffice to say it is only available in Japan and we hardly manufacture any as most Japanese prefer to buy the Hasselblad branded models.

The H2F has DAC, but only CF back support, is that right?

David, are you able to make any statement on why Hasselblad continues to make only two-tone bodies? Are they legally prevented from making a black or dark grey body for some reason?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:34:08 pm by carstenw »

csp

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »

David, are you able to make any statement on why Hasselblad continues to make only two-tone bodies? Are they legally prevented from making a black or dark grey body for some reason?

why do you want that ?   i don't like that someone could think i´m using a mamiya  ;-)

arashm

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »

While we're at it; can I please also ask for a D3 style Hi-Res screen on the back, and a vertical grip????
Am I asking for too much  
thanks
am

Carsten W

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »

Quote from: csp
why do you want that ?   i don't like that someone could think i´m using a mamiya  ;-)

David, make csp's next Hasselblad pink, please

csp, don't worry. Anyone who says anything about your Mamiya, you can blind with the built-in pop-up flash (as long as they are close to you).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:48:58 pm by carstenw »

Kitty

• http://
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2009, 10:36:28 pm »

Once again with a tired yawn I state that Fuji has no involvement with the H body, software, hardware or firmware or anythingware.

They carry out the final manufacture of the Viewfinder, but for example, some parts come from the UK.  The software for the metering is suprise suprise, written in Goteborg.

David.

Why can't I upgrade firmware of Fuji GX645 through H1D back?
While upgrade H1 and H2 has no problem.
With the same firmware 9.4.1 on both.
Fuji GX645 can't set mirror lockup delay like Hasselblad.

georgl

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2009, 10:30:28 am »

@David Grover
We enjoy your statements and inside views about Hasselblad and respect your patience with "old Hasselblad lovers"  

I believe you that the H/GX645 isn't manufactured by Fuji for most parts, what I was trying to say is that it has nothing in common with older Hasselblads and the suppliers don't seem to be the same as with the 200-series but very Fuji (or Mamiya)-like.
The H-series is a ordinary 645-system with central shutters - I think it must be pretty obvious why we "old Hasselblad-users" struggle with it.

"The 'machining and manufacturing' in old Hasselblad times meant the V and H System were not cost effective to build. Now they are."

Yes, I think everybody who knows the V-series vs. the H-series sees and feels the difference.

Hasselblad is bloody expensive, it was with the H-system and it is still with the V-system. I'm fine with that, but cost cutting on such high-end-professional-tools is a nightmare! The film back of the H was as expensive (+-100€) as the V-magazine (it's one of the few parts that are really comparable, also the viewfinders) - where did the money go? In our business/country that's called "Rendite-Optimierung" or "Entfeinerung" - management-BS for cost-cutting on the back of the customers...
It's not just Hasselblad, my M8 has a copal-shutter, loud as hell and can be found in cameras 1/10 the price, of course it is a "custom-design", it just fell of the same production-line, looks and sounds the same...

Maybe it was time to stop manual 6x6 and go AF-645. But half of the design-changes of the H-System didn't had the photographer in mind... Nice camera, but not a Hasselblad.

rogan

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

@David Grover
We enjoy your statements and inside views about Hasselblad and respect your patience with "old Hasselblad lovers"  

I believe you that the H/GX645 isn't manufactured by Fuji for most parts, what I was trying to say is that it has nothing in common with older Hasselblads and the suppliers don't seem to be the same as with the 200-series but very Fuji (or Mamiya)-like.
The H-series is a ordinary 645-system with central shutters - I think it must be pretty obvious why we "old Hasselblad-users" struggle with it.

"The 'machining and manufacturing' in old Hasselblad times meant the V and H System were not cost effective to build. Now they are."

Yes, I think everybody who knows the V-series vs. the H-series sees and feels the difference.

Hasselblad is bloody expensive, it was with the H-system and it is still with the V-system. I'm fine with that, but cost cutting on such high-end-professional-tools is a nightmare! The film back of the H was as expensive (+-100€) as the V-magazine (it's one of the few parts that are really comparable, also the viewfinders) - where did the money go? In our business/country that's called "Rendite-Optimierung" or "Entfeinerung" - management-BS for cost-cutting on the back of the customers...
It's not just Hasselblad, my M8 has a copal-shutter, loud as hell and can be found in cameras 1/10 the price, of course it is a "custom-design", it just fell of the same production-line, looks and sounds the same...

Maybe it was time to stop manual 6x6 and go AF-645. But half of the design-changes of the H-System didn't had the photographer in mind... Nice camera, but not a Hasselblad.
Sorry to hear that David as I like the lenses(not love) but think the body is truly awful.
I do like the viewfinder a lot though. Maybe have fuji build the next body then? None of the fuji cameras I have used in the past ever had mirror slap

Geoffrey

Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2009, 04:36:20 am »

I don't expect everybody to like us, but right now we provide the tightest, integrated most comprehensive medium format (whatever that is) system on the market, with ten lenses, two zooms a bunch of accessories, a Tilt Shift solution that works and the ability to continue to use your beloved Zeiss lenses with exposure metering and focus confirmation.  We can still improve and I am not that arrogant to say it is perfect.  But look at what we produced only three years ago and what we do now.  For any technology company that is impressive.

Probably true. Work well done, and nicely said.

Geoff

• Capture One
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2009, 02:43:22 am »

CF and the discontinued CFH backs.

Every other camera is black (HY6 excluded!) so why not make something different?

In seven years with Hasselblad I have never met a user who didn't buy because of the colour of the camera?

David
David Grover

• Capture One
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2009, 02:45:16 am »

Quote from: Kitty
Why can't I upgrade firmware of Fuji GX645 through H1D back?
While upgrade H1 and H2 has no problem.
With the same firmware 9.4.1 on both.
Fuji GX645 can't set mirror lockup delay like Hasselblad.

As the GX is only available in Japan Fuji assume you will simply take the camera to a service centre.

David Grover

• Capture One
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2009, 02:55:10 am »

@David Grover

The H series is no ordinary 645 system. Period.  It is the only 645 system with an electronic central shutter - a hell of a lot more accurate than Zeiss by the way... and I will simply repeat my statement above...

"...we provide the tightest, integrated most comprehensive medium format (whatever that is) system on the market, with ten lenses, two zooms a bunch of accessories, a Tilt Shift solution that works and the ability to continue to use your beloved Zeiss lenses with exposure metering and focus confirmation."

I am afraid we cannot be in business for a hobby.  There is more than 500,000 V system cameras in the world with an established second hand market.

Man (ie us) cannot live on V system alone, so the H system is there to pay the bills, pay me and keep us running as a successful company.

...But half of the design-changes of the H-System didn't had the photographer in mind... Nice camera, but not a Hasselblad.

This is a deeply irritating statement.  Do you think that all the people in Hasselblad (many who built the V system) went out of their way to build a camera that did not appeal to the modern working professional?  It is as Hasselblad as any other product that has left the factory.  We innovated at the start and we continue to innovate now.  Otherwise we would have fallen by the wayside like Contax, Bronica, Rollei etc etc..

David

David Grover

• Capture One
Hasselblad Bankruptcy?
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2009, 02:55:46 am »

Quote from: Geoffrey
Probably true. Work well done, and nicely said.

Geoff

Thankyou Geoff.  Its very much appreciated!
David Grover
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up