Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO 5.3 problem  (Read 5751 times)

walter.sk

DXO 5.3 problem
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:36:53 pm »

I downloaded the trial version of the latest DXO Optics Pro Raw converter, and was beginning to understand how to use it.  In fact it did well with my Canon 1DII pix, and with the G9 images at high ISO, the results were better than anything I have got from ACR, Noise Ninja or DFine2.

I ran into trouble with the pallettes (if that is the correct term).  I closed some of them such as Light, Color, Histogram, and My Pallettes, or whatever they're called.  Now, even if I go into the menu and check them all, or press Ctrl F9, I can't get them back.  I also tried clicking on the icons of the pallettes that appear at the top right of the Prepare screen, but they don't reappear except for Geometry, Details, and one of the others.

In desperation, I deinstalled the program and reinstalled it, but no change.  Any ideas?

walter.sk

DXO 5.3 problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:14:40 am »

I got an answer from the DXO people.  They were aware of the problem, saying it happens only in rare cases.  The palettes can disappear out of the DXO workspace, and can be retrieved by making the screen resolution high enough so that they become visible.

My situation is a bit difficult for that.  I use an NEC 3090 at a resolution of 2560x1600, and cannot increase the resolution.  However, I  had gone into the Display>Settings>Advanced dialogue in XP and increased the magnification of icons and fonts to 155% so that I can read text in menus and icons without sticking my nose into the monitor.  I reduced the magnification to "normal" and was able to retrieve the palettes, but ended up with tiny icons and fonts.  As soon as I increased the size beyond "normal" my  DXO palettes disappeared irretrievably again.

I am afraid to buy DXO now even though what I had seen impressed me.

sojournerphoto

DXO 5.3 problem
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:20:56 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I got an answer from the DXO people.  They were aware of the problem, saying it happens only in rare cases.  The palettes can disappear out of the DXO workspace, and can be retrieved by making the screen resolution high enough so that they become visible.

My situation is a bit difficult for that.  I use an NEC 3090 at a resolution of 2560x1600, and cannot increase the resolution.  However, I  had gone into the Display>Settings>Advanced dialogue in XP and increased the magnification of icons and fonts to 155% so that I can read text in menus and icons without sticking my nose into the monitor.  I reduced the magnification to "normal" and was able to retrieve the palettes, but ended up with tiny icons and fonts.  As soon as I increased the size beyond "normal" my  DXO palettes disappeared irretrievably again.

I am afraid to buy DXO now even though what I had seen impressed me.

Touch wood my copy of 5.3 is stable. The early v5s were not very good on my machine, but they have made real progress with it.

Mike

aaykay

DXO 5.3 problem
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:33:29 pm »

I bought the Elite version recently, for use with my A900.  The lens correction modules cover several of my lenses, including the Carl Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar, the Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Planar, the Carl Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 Vario-Sonnar, the Carl Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8 Vario-Sonnar etc.

I tried using it for the first time yesterday, to see what it can do.  

I went through the "Select", then the "Prepare" (did my imaging adjustments here) and then got to the "Process" stage.  I establised 2 different output modes (JPEG and TIFF) to test the whole thing out.  All of my selected images have the "green light" on them (so that they will be processed).  

Unfortunately, the "Start Processing", the "Pause" and the "Stop" button are all grayed out (in-active and not clickable).  Thus I simply cannot "process" the images in my "project".  I am at a loss on what to do.

I wrote to DXO support on Sunday but have not heard back yet, and now it is almost the end of Monday.  I am frankly not too impressed with the speed at which they resolve issues, since right now, I am unable to do anything whatsoever with the images.

walter.sk

DXO 5.3 problem
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:40:09 pm »

Quote from: aaykay
I bought the Elite version recently, for use with my A900.  The lens correction modules cover several of my lenses, including the Carl Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar, the Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Planar, the Carl Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 Vario-Sonnar, the Carl Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8 Vario-Sonnar etc.

I went through the "Select", then the "Prepare" (did my imaging adjustments here) and then got to the "Process" stage.  I establised 2 different output modes (JPEG and TIFF) to test the whole thing out.  All of my selected images have the "green light" on them (so that they will be processed).  

Unfortunately, the "Start Processing", the "Pause" and the "Stop" button are all grayed out (in-active and not clickable).  Thus I simply cannot "process" the images in my "project".  I am at a loss on what to do.

I wrote to DXO support on Sunday but have not heard back yet, and now it is almost the end of Monday.  I am frankly not too impressed with the speed at which they resolve issues, since right now, I am unable to do anything whatsoever with the images.

I've been using DXO for several weeks now, and their staff has responded within a day or two on several occasions.  In the Processing module, make sure that you have all of the choices on the left set up and then click "apply."  That should give you access to the Start Processing button.  I'm still not completely comfortable with that routine, but I am pretty sure that there is something you still have to name, rename or otherwise specify in the left hand panel.

aaykay

DXO 5.3 problem
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:08:33 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I've been using DXO for several weeks now, and their staff has responded within a day or two on several occasions.  In the Processing module, make sure that you have all of the choices on the left set up and then click "apply."  That should give you access to the Start Processing button.  I'm still not completely comfortable with that routine, but I am pretty sure that there is something you still have to name, rename or otherwise specify in the left hand panel.

Yes, their support did contact me yesterday (via email) and I did what they stated.  Seems like one or more files got corrupted somehow, and finally I uninstalled Optics Pro and re-installed it and now it works fine.

But I have to say that the results thus far from DXO are pretty stunning  (especially since the lenses in my list were in the supported list of modules) and better than the ones from the other packages I used in the past, including Capture One and Silkypix.

Mike Raub

DXO 5.3 problem
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:56:14 pm »

I had the same problem and finally noticed that there was no destination folder or file type selected for the output. DXO produces great output, but the GUI is a bit odd. I wish they'd hire some former Apple engineer to redesign the GUI.

Quote from: aaykay

Pages: [1]   Go Up