Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 7900 or the HP Z3200  (Read 4262 times)

chris anderson

epson 7900 or the HP Z3200
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:11:29 pm »

Which and Why. Gonna get back into the large printers one more time..... idiot!  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:11:49 pm by chris anderson »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:52:01 pm »

Quote from: chris anderson

OK, with all of that info, I'll bite:  

Which - Canon iPF6100
Why - see http://canonipf.wikispaces.com for pros and cons

--John

dseelig

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:17 pm »

I just wrote about this . If you are not a high volume printer I would go with canon or hp me. went hp. Longest print life by far is the hp. epsons eat ink. If you want the best quality print I would follow Michaels word about the epson. But man are they expensive to maintain. If you are doing a lot of sheets then maybe the epson or canon but I have gotten use to the the hp which is probably the most finnicky with sheets. I have the hp z3100  and am not looking to jump ship.

Dward

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13:53 pm »

The Epson is built much more solidly than either HP or Canon, but I'm not sure that translates into greater reliability or longevity.   From what I've seen, the HP, Canon, and Epson each produce excellent prints, with very little to choose between them.   If pushed on visual quality issues, I'd give a tiny edge to the Epson, because I find the screening to be more pleasing than with the other two.  I settled on the HP for ease of use, longevity of prints, and the neutrality of B&W prints.   And the HP is significantly more frugal with ink than the Epson.   But I hardly think you could go wrong with the Epson, the HP, or the comparable Canon.   It's a good time to be doing inkjet printing!

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »

Depends on what's most important to you. The HP is the best for black & white prints, hands down. Its black/grey inks are dead solid neutral, meaning no color ink is used at all unless you choose to add some toning. It also provides the darkest D-max on matte/cotton rag paper. The driver's black & white mode is also the neatest, permitting you to separately tone highlights, midtones and shadows. It's not exactly color managed in the sense of providing an accurate soft proof on screen, but I find it much better than Epson's ABW mode. If you don't have your own spectro/profiling setup already, the HP's built-in spectro is also a great feature. The HP is also extremely frugal with ink.

On the negative side, the HP has a rather squirrely driver that isn't as robust or bullet-proof as the Epson.

If you print on extremely thick sheets (like 500 gm Photo rag), then Epson is the only way to go. It's definitely better than HP for handling sheet paper in general, and the vacuum paper transport is simply more reliable and elegant than HP's little wheels 'n rollers.

I have no personal experience with the big Canon printers; some folks love 'em, and they are very fast to print.

Don't apologize for getting back into large format printing; once you iron out the kinks, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I recently stumbled across some extremely high resolution images from the Hubble space telescope available on line; on a whim I printed two of them very large, one a spiral galaxy and the other a 24x80" pano of the Carina nebula. Every person who sees them stands there in slack-jawed amazement. Great stuff.

chris anderson

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »

thanks guys! I have had a ipf8000, 9800, and a z3100 all in 44"  I have not had anything to print large for almost a year and have the itch! I am going to go for a 24" model this time. I like the glossy/semi gloss paper best.
    Chris

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »

thanks guys! I have had a ipf8000, 9800, and a z3100 all in 44"  I have not had anything to print large for almost a year and have the itch! I am going to go for a 24" model this time. I like the glossy/semi gloss paper best.

Which did you like best and why?  What was the biggest problem you had with each?  Having experience with all three (although not the most recent models) you are probably already in a position to make the best selection.

--John

davewolfs

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:41:45 pm »

I went with the Z3200 simply because it was $1800 with $300 in free paper.  So $1500, I also managed to get a great deal on the APS solution so it really was a no brainer for me.

The Epson 7900 is more then double that.

chris anderson

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:19:10 am »

Quote from: John Hollenberg
Which did you like best and why?  What was the biggest problem you had with each?  Having experience with all three (although not the most recent models) you are probably already in a position to make the best selection.

--John

i guess i had the least problems with the epson....

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 05:21:34 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
On the negative side, the HP has a rather squirrely driver that isn't as robust or bullet-proof as the Epson.

Sometimes one particular problem becomes the bugger that kills any possible satisfaction, and the squirrely HP Z3100 driver did it for me.  I managed to replace the Z with a 7900 for a tidy $1k and have enjoyed it thoroughly.  I count it as my best spent photography dollars.  Not that the Z performs well for many, and the Z3200 even better, just not my particular experience.

My vantage point is about as complete opposite from MR's as someone could get.  MR is a professional's professional with a decades of experience.  By comparison I am a hobbist just starting out spending odd bits of time printing stretched between learning other photography skills.  I have loved virtually every print off the Epson, and in that way think my opinion is every bit as or more worthy as MR's:  you don't have to be a superhero to fly.  Sometimes I've had to clean the heads in this bone-dry climate, although yesterday I turned it on after a 2-week hiatus and the check strip was perfect.

I think that there are some substantial distractions thrown in the marketing blitz including the spectrophotometers and gloss differential enhancers, and believe that your money is better spent contentrating on the core printing hardware.  A check print is less wasteful than that printer calibration.  I enjoy the Epson FA, Luster, EEF and Ilford Gold Silk quite a bit using the available profiles, and should be able to get my dealer to supply a profile for an off-brand papter.  I found that the HP gloss enhancer didn't show on a non-HP Magic paper I once tested and found weird banding on a couple Moab Entrada to HP test prints.  As a product development engineer myself, I have the sneaking suspicion that the HP GE was not in the initial product scope but required by their chemistry approach.  By measure of how little experience I've gained, I haven't made any time for B&W printing, but better add that to my learning list if I'm ever going to be worth my salt.  

However the 7900 paper basket has me stratching my head.  I agree with the proposal Hilljf-John made in an earlier post that the 7900 might do well to copy HP's "wake-up & spit a few ink drops" to ameliorate clogs.  A funny downside quirk is that it prints so quiet I actually end up checking on it after sending it a print to see that it's really doing it's thing.  And I bought the Z3100 after MR praised it in his review, so learned that the device must fit my personality and not anybody else's and in that way glad that my 7900 purchase preceeded and was not influenced by his review posting.

Best regards everyone, Ralph
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 05:58:55 pm by reburns »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:59 am »

Hard question.

HP have rebates just as Epson do in the US. The final price is probably a lot less for the HP over an Epson x900 series.

What you do get for the difference with Epson  is a production oriented printer , an excellent roll mount system and reliable sheet feed. The image quality IMO is slightly to a lot higher depending on surface. Only on Glossy and not all glossy media is the HP going to be better with Gloss Enhancer. HP does very well at batch processing and printing side by side colour and B&W images as equal value RGB are printed without composite inks. This is a great advantage at any price, as your batch prints have little or no grey balance failure or cast.
I have an HP Z3200 which has been very good to me. Yet I would love to have an Epson 9900 too.

chris anderson

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:30:48 am »

who has the best prices on these two printers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up