Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locations in Israel  (Read 4293 times)

Alex B.W.

Locations in Israel
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:35 pm »

This summer I'll be in Israel for six weeks. I will be able to reach any part of the country, so-- any suggestions?

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
Locations in Israel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:36:43 pm »

I have been to Israel twice. I would start with Jerusalem, believe it or not. It is so hilly that you can get elevations that are just breathtaking.

There are many photo ops at Ein Gedi ( an oasis in the desert), the Dead Sea, Galilee/Golan.

Here's a link to an image I took in Jerusalem: Jerusalem Image

David Saffir
www.davidsaffir.com

Quote from: Alex B.W.
This summer I'll be in Israel for six weeks. I will be able to reach any part of the country, so-- any suggestions?
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

Alex B.W.

Locations in Israel
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »

Wonderful shot, good atmosphere.
I'll actually be living in Jerusalem, and taking weekend trips out around the country. So, good to know I'm in the right place!

Quote from: David Saffir
I have been to Israel twice. I would start with Jerusalem, believe it or not. It is so hilly that you can get elevations that are just breathtaking.

There are many photo ops at Ein Gedi ( an oasis in the desert), the Dead Sea, Galilee/Golan.

Here's a link to an image I took in Jerusalem: Jerusalem Image

David Saffir
www.davidsaffir.com

John Camp

Locations in Israel
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »

Quote from: Alex B.W.
Wonderful shot, good atmosphere.
I'll actually be living in Jerusalem, and taking weekend trips out around the country. So, good to know I'm in the right place!

I've been there every year almost for the past fifteen years or so. There are really several radically different kinds of photography available -- pretty tough, interesting street photography in Jerusalem, where you have modern buildings (and people) rubbing up against buildings that are literally more than 2,000 years old. Be aware that some Muslim and some fundamentalist Jews have religious objections to image-making, and may violently object; and that some people just don't like their pictures taken. Ask first. There are MANY terrific Israeli photographers; you might look around and see if you can find a couple of on the web, and ask for advice there. Photography is pretty much the Israeli national art.

ALWAYS cooperate with security people. NEVER be a wise-ass. They are not messing around. They are usually smart and will quickly figure out whether or not you're harmless. They worry a lot about the kinds of backpacks that photographers often carry, and may take a close look at you.

One of the Israelis' own favorite types of photography is landscape. The Jordan River runs from north Israel down through the Great Rift valley to the Dead Sea; south of the Dead Sea, where there's no river, the rift valley's called the Arabah. Terrific, if sere, landscapes are everywhere. Take lots of water and don't wander around alone. Temps in the summer can easily exceed 40C, 105F, and it's so dry that the water literally gets sucked out of you. (Much cooler in Jerusalem, though.) If you look in a market place, you can find cheap little shoulder bags ($5 or so) that are specifically made and sized to carry two-liter bottles of water, which you can buy everywhere. They're worth it.

The Jezreel Valley in the north also has some great views from various famous mountains...Israelis drive on the right, and I can recommend the small but fairly efficient Avis dealership on King David Street in Jerusalem, if you wish to rent a car. Getting around by road is pretty easy, but be sure you don't wander onto the West Bank, at least, not without knowing it. Israel has great bus service. You can get almost anywhere in the country, quickly and cheaply, except on Friday afternoon, before the beginning of Shabbat, and on Saturday, Shabbat, when most services are sparse. If you really do need to get around on Saturday, you can almost always get an Arab driven/English speaking taxi at the American Colony Hotel, which, despite its name, is an Arab-owned upscale hotel in East Jerusalem. By the way, the Israeli weekend begins around noon on Friday,  and runs through Saturday, ending Saturday night around sundown. Saturday night is the big party night. Sunday-Thursday are full business days. Some non-Israeli concerns, however, operate on the Monday-Friday week, which has some advantages, in that you get you get a day off, Sunday, when everything is open.

The sea shore on the Med is, to my eye, not so interesting; modern and a bit ramshackle...

Israel is a terrrific place for photography. Enjoy yourself.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:11:09 pm by John Camp »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Locations in Israel
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:13:46 am »

Beside being very photogenic Israel is tiny. You can get anywhere to anywhere on a weekend. Even on a short Israeli weekend.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Ben Rubinstein

Locations in Israel
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:13 am »

Just came back from a 700km drive up North in Israel specifically looking for landscape photo locations. Methinks you really need a good plan over what you need to concentrate on when there. Personally I've been concentrating on urban landscape type photos, specifically in Jerusalem (see link below).

The Golan where I was yesterday has the worlds highest concentration of land mines, mostly 40 years old dating back to the Syrian invasion of the Yom Kippur war. There are specific routes for walking but otherwise keep to the roads, the little yellow signs saying 'mines' are not just for fun! Too many stories of people wandering off a tour route for a pee, realising they were in a minefield and having to be helicoptered out. At the beginning of each route there is usually a sign reminding you to either make sure someone knows of your route or leaving a note in your car with the route planned written in before you go trekking.

Make sure you have enough mileage or unlimited mileage with your rental car if you're going exploring. I drove from Jerusalem to the Golan, back through Teveriya and home and it was 700km, had to take the car for two days as I was only allowed 350km per day.

From twilight to full sun and also sunset is just about 30-40 minutes. If you want 'golden light' then you have to work very fast. That means being on location ready beforehand and knowing what you want to shoot.

Keep in mind if touring that this is the middle east, 30-35 degrees centigrade most of the country, it's suggested you drink at least 3 litres of water a day if outdoors. I came back with slight sunburn and I was hardly out of the car! Spent 3 hours shooting in the Old City of Jerusalem at midday a month back (only mad dogs and englishman go out in the midday sun, that's me!), took me two weeks to recover fully from the sunburn. Didn't even get the photo I wanted!  

John Camp

Locations in Israel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:47:45 pm »

Pom,

When I go to Israel, it's to work on the Tel Rehov archaeological dig, just south of Beth Shean, sponsored by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. We started in '97, and for the first few years, I did all the photography for the dig; I've given that up lately, because I got too old for the heat...(June-July in Beth Shean.) I've never done the type of stuff you do, I just snapshot around when I'm not working, because the work kind of takes it out of you...but I like your images, and they really bring Jerusalem back for me...Is the Dome of the Rock still closed to Westerners? I was up in the Golan a couple of years ago, and there were some vineyards up there that would make interesting images...saw a snake bigger around than my arm...next year (2010) I'm either going to buy or take a tripod and try to do some night stuff from the top of the Tel, looking across the valley to Jordan; the lights along the valley on a clear night are really beautiful.

www.rehov.org

JC
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:50:42 pm by John Camp »

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Locations in Israel
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »

This brings back memories! In 1985 I was a college student on the City of David (Jerusalem) dig. As part of the group trip we swung through Europe on the way down and then all around Israel before settling in for the dig.

I was stocked up with color neg and slide film and bulk-loaded Tri-X, but got a little carried away in Europe and ran a bit short by the time we got to Israel. I was actually stuck using ASA 1000 color neg film in the Sinai! I did however buy a few rolls of film in the souk to get me by.

My shots are not nearly as nice as David's but I still got some nice stuff on each film stock despite my predicament. Where was digital when I needed it?
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Locations in Israel
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:53:59 pm »

Jerusalem as others have said.
Jaffa, has some great old stonework and small alleys
If you go as far north as Galilee definitely go over to Acre (on the coast)..the last site of the Crusaders, wonderful architecture and a fabulous setting....

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
Locations in Israel
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 12:19:34 am »

For those of you interested in photography in Israel, you may want to have a look at the following sites and books,

photoworkshops and tours, private and group:
www.dimui.com

gallery:
www.visiongallery.com

books:
In a Desert Land, Abbeville Press
Celestial Nights, Visions of an Ancient Land; Aperture and Abbeville Press (new edition)

Neil Folberg
Vision Gallery

Quote from: mcbroomf
Jerusalem have said.
Jaffa, has some great old stonework and small alleys
If you go as far north as Galilee definitely go over to Acre (on the coast)..the last site of the Crusaders, wonderful architecture and a fabulous setting....
Pages: [1]   Go Up